all posts post new thread

Barbell Powerlifting improved?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Simply strong

Level 4 Valued Member
Powerlifting would be improved by replacing the bench press with the strict overhead press where there is no movement in the ankles, knees or hips and no downward movement of the bar after a ‘press’ command has been given. A small amount of backward lean is allowed but not to the point of hyperextending the spine.

Discuss...

I had this discussion with a few friends who competitively powerlift and am just interested to see what more people think
Our main arguments
Pro...
- athletes compete on their feet
- more quad, gluteus and ab activation
- no need for a competition regulation bench
- a lift is failed it doesn’t require a spotter to avoid death
- overhead press is better for the upper back, anterior seratus and rotator cuff
- requires more flexibility and so athletes must develop flexibility and so you have more flexible athletes

Con
- no main lift that focuses on chest
- bench pressing is fun

Welcome to the forum.

This is an old argument that’s been gone over a million times over the last 50+ years. I confess to not seeing any point in rehashing it yet again.

Thanks.

-S-

Pro:
I am good at overhead pressing and I suck at bench pressing.
(selfish opinion).

Con:
A "Strict" Press is hard to judge.

I like the idea, but it has been done before. It used to be part of Oly lifting but was dropped years ago. I don’t know the whole story, but it seems that judging it became a nightmare, kinda like the NFL defining what is, and is not a “catch.”

There is a new federation that does just that. I may compete...

US Strengthlifting Federation |

On the "Rules" page there is a 13-page .pdf that describes how the lifts are conducted and judged.
It looks like, among many other changes, the squat rules would eliminate the low bar position of many current PL competitors.

Best of luck if you do, @Anna C.

-S-

I want to start an Ice Cream Powerlifting Federation. After every lifting attempt the lifter has to eat an ice cream sandwich. Lifters are disqualified if they fail to down all 9 sandwiches or puke...
If it includes OHP instead of bench, I'm in

It looks like, among many other changes, the squat rules would eliminate the low bar position of many current PL competitors.

"The bar must not be more than 1 inch below the top of the posterior deltoids. The bar must be held horizontally across the back with some part of both palms distal to the wrist in contact with the bar."

Steve, how do many current PL competitors do it differently than this?

Best of luck if you do, @Anna C.

Thanks! Hopefully sometime in 2019...

"The bar must not be more than 1 inch below the top of the posterior deltoids. The bar must be held horizontally across the back with some part of both palms distal to the wrist in contact with the bar."

That's the same placing and rules for most feds I've seen. The organiser of that comp is Rippitoe is it not???

If it is he purely advocates low bar so should be no issues with that in his fed

Interesting bit about palms being in contact with the bar. I don't think IPF requires it, they want each finger in contact with the bar. I'm not sure if my squats would fly in strengthlifting.

IDK. I squat with a high bar, and my gut says lots of folks are more than an inch below, but I honestly don’t know. I think one could settle it by looking at his pix and comparing to some PL lifters pix.

-S-

Thinking about the judging issues with the OHP what about an incline press? I’ve heard it said time and again that incline is better for shoulders and chest activation

The “judging problem” with the Press is just the result of a bunch of Olympic politics, ineptitude, and a bit of venality. There’s a whole big history out on line somewhere (it might’ve been written by Bill Starr, I can’t remember) discussing the history of the unraveling of the Press in international competition. Way more than you’d ever actually need to know. But if you stop and think about what we’re trying to avoid it’s really two things: knee flexion and extension turning it into a push press, and clown show levels of layback making the thing look like a standing bench press. Both can be fairly dealt with through rules and diligent judging. Enforce a rule prohibiting knee bend - every time, every meet - and a rule limiting readward displacement of the shoulder joint to another predetermined landmark like the heels or buttocks. Another possibility is to forbid any downward motion of the bar after the judge gives the Press command.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom