all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Protein rage :p

I remember when the world was better, I heard Rush Limbaugh say the worst thing you can do a boy is make him sit in a chair for 8-hours a day. I never thought about it until he said it. But its OK because now we have solutions to the problem: we give them pills to calm them down and if that does not work we just remove their balls and say its a girl. Problem solved.

From Wikipedia
In 1997, Gaspari started his own supplement company, Gaspari Nutrition. In 2005, the company became the subject of controversy after a client’s investigation implicated Gaspari Nutrition in a ring of supplement companies engaged in covertly spiking some of their products with a variety of steroids and/or their derivatives while deceptively mislabeling their ingredients, FDA violations which resulted in a lawsuit upheld in 2017. Shortly after, Gaspari filed for bankruptcy and sold the company.

*To be fair we have all made mistakes in our lives.*

Back in the day ( early 90's ) rumors that Met-Rx had some D-ball in it. ?
Same with Ultimate Orange I believe.

From Wikipedia
In 1997, Gaspari started his own supplement company, Gaspari Nutrition. In 2005, the company became the subject of controversy after a client’s investigation implicated Gaspari Nutrition in a ring of supplement companies engaged in covertly spiking some of their products with a variety of steroids and/or their derivatives while deceptively mislabeling their ingredients, FDA violations which resulted in a lawsuit upheld in 2017. Shortly after, Gaspari filed for bankruptcy and sold the company.

*To be fair we have all made mistakes in our lives.*
I think there was a workout supplement made by Xyience that was popular with UFC advertising that was outlawed because it was found to contain banned substances too.

Roid rage is a thing. Not sure about the rest of this.
Yes, the question is more what to attribute to what rather than questioning whether substances can alter mood. In my part of the world a guy with schizophrenia bashed an old woman to death. Of course, his lawyers said it was the ‘schizophrenia’ that did it and maybe it was. But it struck me that he chose to beat up on someone who couldn’t fight back. That’s actually very logical. Now if he’d attacked, say, the sergeant-at-arms of the local Hells Angels chapter or a heavyweight boxing champion, I’d call that ‘schizophrenia’

Yes, the question is more what to attribute to what rather than questioning whether substances can alter mood. In my part of the world a guy with schizophrenia bashed an old woman to death. Of course, his lawyers said it was the ‘schizophrenia’ that did it and maybe it was. But it struck me that he chose to beat up on someone who couldn’t fight back. That’s actually very logical. Now if he’d attacked, say, the sergeant-at-arms of the local Hells Angels chapter or a heavyweight boxing champion, I’d call that ‘schizophrenia’
What the heck do you expect his lawyer to argue?

Re the OP, do you expect the reporters to "find a story" or just report the news? C'mon, they have advertising to sell! Look at the outrage (interest!) that's been generated just sharing the story.

It seems the people that fought WW2 and lived through the Great Depression and were born during WW1/Spanish Flu were some pretty strong men created by hard times, strange that WW2 happened…
Shh don't think too hard.

The generation that grew up during the largest economic expansion in history and also the most (relatively) peaceful period in modern history is the last "hard" generation.

ohhh boy...

I fear we're in the latter stage :

View attachment 24576
This always reads to me as "this is why we need hard times." I don't think whoever wrote this really thought about its implications. This also sets up a dichotomy between "hard" people and "weak" people, as if those things make the measure of a person's worth as a human being.

Sorry not sorry, but this quote always reads like an excuse/apology for dumping on people who were fortunate enough to not have to live in hard times. Being capable is good. We should reward capability and also make an enviroment that fosters it. We should all hope and work for a world where the average person doesn't have to live like a "warrior" or whatever.

When things are really good it takes a focused effort to drive things into the ground quickly. The tycoons of old did not get rich in a day and the Roman Empire did not fall in a day. But the tycoons of old said "There are three generations of wealth. One to build it, one to enjoy it, one to destroy it." And Rome might be the mightiest empire of all time but rested on its established strength until weakness overcame it.

Although if the Romans had whey protein powder it would have increased centurions' ability to become extra violent to overcome all challengers.
The Roman empire was built on violence. Their foundational myth includes rape. People need to read actual history more.

I feel like there's not a lot of personal responsibility and accountability anymore either.

It wasn't him doing it, it was the protein. He didn't make a decision, it was the steroids.

Right is right and wrong is wrong.
there's also not enough being done to prevent the circumstances that lead people to a state of mind where they will murder someone. Tell someone who grew up poor in an environment where everyone around them grew up with trauma and abuse, passing those things along to their progeny, to "take more personal responsibility." When our emotions get high, our prefrontal cortex becomes inhibited. Imagine a life of trauma. Imagine only knowing poverty and abuse because everyone around you is always in survival mode. We need to keep people safe, and we also need to work towards a world where people don't grow up like that.

When it comes to thsese topics, I feel like hardly anyone asks, "why are these people acting like this?"

Like, do you actually think someone wakes up and goes, "I think murder is a cool thing to do today?" How is it not obvious someone is not in their right mind when they do something like that? This doesn't mean they get a free pass. They need to be restrained, rehabilitated, whatever. It means something led to that level of mental illness. It would be nice to see more people focusing on fixing the causes instead of the symptoms.

Work ethic/hardness of men is individualistic and not generational.
People in any generation who have to work to feed their families will always do so.

Super rich people, as in the Andrew Carnegie quote about three generations of wealth, might have no work ethic but be able to miss a decade of work and chow down on a gallon of caviar daily while relying on their families' inheritance to pay the bills. That does not last forever in most families.

The problem of generational financial decline isn't just for the super rich world dominators either. This article thinks it applies to many families' wealth.
There are many other articles like it but I was not aggressive enough to post them since my protein today was neither fully hydrolized nor supplemented with nitric oxide.

I speculate it might also apply to the psychology of a generation. The generation of people who break all barriers to create something may take greater care in that discipline than a generation that was gifted with a benefit rather than earning it. It is only speculation but think of the generation that made heavier-than-air flight affordable and safe after routinely crashing and putting themselves at risk. They might be spinning in their graves at today's routine videos of parts falling off of recently built airplanes. Many more examples are possible, I'm sure.

The Roman empire was built on violence. Their foundational myth includes rape. People need to read actual history more.

Has any civilization ever NOT been built on violence? When Romans couldn't keep the violence level up (or in some cases did not CARE to keep it up) more successfully violent people took their territory.

Fun fact: The Roman expeditionary soldiers' provisions included hard cheese. It was high in casein but not whey. Can you imagine how much more of the world they would have conquered with their supplement rage if they stacked whey with L-glutamine and creatine in their post-phalanx recovery meals? We'd all be speaking Italian.

When it comes to thsese topics, I feel like hardly anyone asks, "why are these people acting like this?"
Nutrition affecting the mind with a lack of Omega 3s vs Omega 6s, psychosis from recreational drug use, a culture that ignores philosophies that held civilizations together for centuries and replaces them with all manner of unhealthy thoughts...but all of it diverges from the thread's main topic. Besides, the perpetrators of all of the problems aren't looking for a helpful list of solutions.

After looking at all the back and forth here, I would like to introduce a moderate approach.
I am not suggesting that it was better when people had to kill each other with sabertooth tiger bones in order to survive, or that we should go back to raping and pillaging like vikings.
BUT I don't think its good that young men spend all day eating processes food while they smoke weed and play video games.
Or that people sit in an office all day staring at a screen and pay others to mow their lawn.
I grew up in the 80 and 90's but I think the 50's sounds great, although that might just be my fantasy.
If America had its own manufacturing base and more skilled labor and less officer slobs we would be better off.
Too many people spend all their time working and then pay other people to raise their kids, take care of their gardens, paint their houses, etc.
On the other hand, home improvement stores are a thing so there are plenty of people doing their own repairs, etc.

Socrates was put to death because he was doing this. All corrupting the youth and downplaying the role of gods.
Actually *adjusts glasses* he chose to die rather than be exiled from Athens. His sentence was exile, he said I’d rather die — and so did. His friends kept trying to get him out of Athens and he said something along the lines of “it’s not living if it’s not here.”

If America had its own manufacturing base and more skilled labor and less officer slobs we would be better off.
Too many people spend all their time working and then pay other people to raise their kids, take care of their gardens, paint their houses, etc.
I think it is a hard sell to convince someone to leave an easy 40 hr a week job in AC to take a 60-80 hr a week job in extremes to make similar of not less. Or even slightly more. And it is hard to argue that you’ll have more time with family, house work, etc. if you’re working 60-80hrs every week.

I think it is a hard sell to convince someone to leave an easy 40 hr a week job in AC to take a 60-80 hr a week job in extremes to make similar of not less. Or even slightly more. And it is hard to argue that you’ll have more time with family, house work, etc. if you’re working 60-80hrs every week.
I think people need to work less time. Plenty of people work 60-80 hours sitting at a desk.

Didn’t we just have this convo?

Time is a flat circle.

Ecclesiastes 1:9 in Other Translations9 What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun. 9 History merely repeats itself. It has all been done before. Nothing under the sun is truly new.

Back
Top Bottom