all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Push press & beyond

BillSteamshovel

Level 6 Valued Member
Give me a hand to understand this better please, it has been a source of frustration that I don't get it.

Whats the intent/purpose of a push press -

1. At the end of a set of heavy presses, it is used to give yourself an assist from the legs if the KB is too heavy ?
2. A way of getting a heavy weight overhead so that you can get the benefit of a heavier negative than you can press ?

If it is just 1 and 2 above then could somebody reasonably say to me "Silly Chump, you shouldn't have been pressing that heavy in the first place, just calm down a bit, use a lighter weight and be patient, you will get there eventually"

3. A movement that should be mastered before learning the Jerk. Jerk being an exercise which works the whole body harder than an ordinary kettlebell press due to the extra input from the legs.

Am aware of people doing long C+J sessions - are the people doing those C+J sessions typically using heavier weights than they can easily press ?

I am not currently much interested in the C&J but I have used the push press to move up to the next kettlebell weight for military press. While the bent arm strength is not happening so much with the push press, the strength at the lockout is the same as a regular press as is the strength recruitment your body needs to keep the weight up there, which it is able to do. These aspects make it helpful for building up to a heavier military press.

I personally like to think of it as a way of reaping benefits of both exercises. You get most of the ballistic benefits of the jerk and most of the grind benefits of the press (esp with a proper negative).

The press is a way of getting a weight overhead... That is all.

You military press what you can military press.
You push press what you can military press.
You jerk what you can't pushpress.

To get as most weight overhead as possible you chose the appropriate variation, I doubt that variation will be military press.

Back
Top Bottom