all posts post new thread

Kettlebell QL stretch skeletal clash?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Eric Stone

Level 2 Valued Member
When I'm doing the "QL straddle" from S&S 2.0, I feel like my lowest ribs push against the top of my pelvis, pinching what flesh is in between. Has anybody else experienced this?

Is it just one side or both?

You may benefit from a variation of the seated QL stretch, depending on individual factors.

A picture or video would also be helpful, as usual.

Try to avoid crunching to the side by bending your spine to the side. On the inhale, stretch your spine straight and tall. On the exhale, lean over, keeping your spine mostly straight. A little bend is OK.

Hmm. Interesting. Yes, both sides. I guess the description in the book doesn't go into that much detail, and the photos may be easy to misinterpret. A couple more details: Do both glutes remain planted on the floor? What difference does a wider vs. more v-shaped leg position do to the lower back mechanics?
Thanks all!

Oh, and should the lean be in a single plane side to side, or more toward the feet? I can only achieve about 90 degrees+ between the legs, so should I still be leaning in the direction of the feet?

Do both glutes remain planted on the floor?
Yes... If you can actually feel your sit bones in solid contact, even better. This requires, when getting into position, contracting the low back to tip the pelvis forward a bit while you sit up tall, reaching the crown of the head to the ceiling.

What difference does a wider vs. more v-shaped leg position do to the lower back mechanics?
I don't think it's super important, but for me the stretch works better the wider I get my legs, so I'd suggest just go for as wide as they'll go.

Oh, and should the lean be in a single plane side to side, or more toward the feet? I can only achieve about 90 degrees+ between the legs, so should I still be leaning in the direction of the feet?
This is how I cue myself. Sit up tall with legs out wide. Turn torso and head to face left leg and raise left arm. Lean the body to the right. Give it some time... at least 30 seconds and preferable longer, breathing. Elongate exhale. Stretch spine tall on inhale, lean over more on exhale. Slowly sit up tall again, take a breath, then repeat on other side.

With my legs only open 90 degrees I tried both ways that you describe, leaning towards the feet or in a single plane side to side, and I think it's targeting the QL a little better to try to lean in the direction of the feet. So I'd say go for that. But, it's all good.

I do the 90/90 and QL straddle at the end of both of my complete S&S session videos, 2015 and 2020, if you find it helpful.

I tried both ways that you describe, leaning towards the feet or in a single plane side to side, and I think it's targeting the QL a little better to try to lean in the direction of the feet.
Thanks for the feedback. I suspect that leaning in a single lateral plane stretches the side muscles (oblique? transversus?) more than the QL.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom