all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Morning

CNS tap : 79
OS resets

Throughout the day
Rest. And some OS staff here and there. This sitting on the floor thing is awesome! Thanks @mprevost!

Morning

CNS tap : 76
OS resets. Mostly modified-modified windshield wiper and V-sit rolls.

Noon - beach
Movement prep

OS resets - long session

OS performance
Leopard crawling x 1:05 , 1:20 , 1:10 , 1:15 , 1:25 , 0:55 min - session length : 20 min

On the last set I attempted axis rotation which completely through me out of focus and cut the set at 0:55. Axis rotation should be practiced separately.

Last edited:
Morning

CNS tap : 77
OS resets (same as yesterday morning)

Evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
1-arm swing @24kg x 2 x 10
Shoulder packing RNT stuff
Bent armbar @16kg x 3 + 5 (R felt better)

Justafied Bent Pressing - Cycle 3 / Day 1

Bent press @28kg x 30 x 1

L - Good. R - Mostly good. Room for improvement on ER at lockout.

Notes
  • Bent press: 28kg was difficult last time and ten singles left me tapped out. 30 singles today was moderate-hard, and mostly because of the adjustment to the bell and the "fear factor" on the right side.
  • Lessons from 24kg cycle: Applied.
  • Lesson of the day: Remember that bigger bells have different center of gravity. Therefore you have to move slower to adjust to the new lever arms. Trust in past practice.

Last edited:
Morning

OS resets (rolling: XM windshield wiper, V-sit rolls)

Afternoon - beach in light rain
Movement prep

OS resets

OS performance
2 rounds of:
Leopard crawl x 1:00 min
Baby crawl x 4:00 min
Continuous​

Session length - 12:30 min

Crawling in a light rain was nice.

Morning

OS resets (morning version)

Afternoon
Movement prep

OS resets
Shoulder capsule mod @20kg (Right only)
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
HK halos @16kg x 5 + 5
OHS @24kg x 2 x 10
Bent armbar @16kg x 3 + 3 (R getting back to normal)

It's been a month since I started so...

Bent press test

Bent press
@24kg x 2 x 1
@32kg x 2 x 1 -PR, didn't felt harder than 28kg
Notes
  • Easy PR: That was an easy one, the 32kg didn't stand a chance. The 32kg is more comfortable for me than my competition 28kg.
  • Stacked 36kg: Stacked 32kg + 4kg, cleaned, got into a side rack, grip felt not tight enough to keep everything connected during lockout and recovery phases so I aborted. I wish I had proper 36kg to test, but I don't. I think I could of lift it, but there are no "could have" lifts. Time to by a 40kg :)

Some thoughts about Justafied Bent Pressing program
  • Practice platform: Amazing! Working with singles help allot with keeping 100% focus and attention on technique. The approach of a set is one single at one side only (as opposed to single each side) looked weird at first to me, but I get it now. Single is a SINGLE.
  • Intensity zone: 70% sounds light for strength work. However, it keeps the focus on technique and the big jumps in weight dial up the attention to detail. It also enables you to work with...
  • Volume: 30 - 50 singles of full body lift grinds sounded to me ridiculously high volume, specially due to my experience with Easy Strength training. Keeping the intensity in check and lifting singles make this possible without too much trouble.
  • Is it qualifies as Easy Strength / Even Easier Strength? It depends.
    • Ease of use? Yes. Twice (or 3?) I took 2-days off because of overall tiredness / time constraints. Doesn't seems like a problem when it's sparse. Did not try two consecutive days.
    • Practice-not-workout? Yes.
    • Energy consumption? Mostly yes. I was tapped out after one session. But I also crawled that day so I can't blame it on the BtP. I didn't had a chance to play BVB after BtP sessions so I can't tell.
    • Time? No. At least not in ES/EES/S&S/B&S standards I got used to. The short sessions were 55 min, the long up to 105 min (gross time, including 10 - 15 min of movement prep).
    • Overall: If you have the time for the long session than give it a try.
What's next?
  • I have a ski trip on Feb. 25 for a week, so my plan is until than.
  • I'll do Justa's singles strategy #4 - Three lifts every other day
    • Bent press - 12 singles @24kg (75% of 1RM, 20kg is 62% and the 1RM was easy). 28kg from session 5.
    • Deadlift - 25 singles @80kg. Rule-of-big-plates so add 5 reps each session like Dave Withley's double press program. Let's see how will it be volume-wise.
    • Front squat, box - 25 singles @60kg. Same progression as DL.
    • I know the DL and FSQ are not like the original program, but I liked the volume based modification of Dave Withley's variation.

Morning

OS resets (morning version)

Afternoon - gym
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @16kg x 5
Goat back swing @15kg x ~10
Dbl swing @(2 x 16kg) x 10

Deadlift session #1
Deadlift @80kg x 25 x 1

Notes
  • Deadlift groove: Lifts where all good, but I want smoother setup. Setup was good, but I feel like it can and should be smoother. Will do more prep work, at least for a while.
  • Volume: Felt good. Didn't feel any decline in performance during the session. However, my average rest between lifts were less than 50 seconds, so I need to take a bit longer rests and maximize freshness. It will be even more important as session go on...
  • Competition bells: Swings where with competition bells (they only has one classic 16kg and no heavier bells), I don't like these so much, they feel unnecessarily large.
  • Bent press session: I skipped today. I BtP at home and after I came back from the gym I felt not engaged enough, so I canceled. Yesterdays session is not an excuse. I'll do them in the future in the morning so I'll have a nice comfortable split.

Last edited:
Morning

CNS tap : 78
OS resets - standing (standing rolls + marching), I prefer my usual staff

Afternoon - beach
Movement prep

OS resets

OS performance
Leopard crawl x 1:05 , 1:10 , 1:00 , 1:25 , 1:20 , 1:10 , 1:05 - session length : ~24 min

Got a complement today during the crawling session. Someone told me it looks very nonchalant and easy. I interpreted it as being graceful :)

Last edited:

Rest. OS resets morning session and some throughout the day

Morning

OS resets
Suitcase carry @32kg x 1 + 1

Noon
Movement prep

OS resets
Shoulder packing RNT
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
HK halos @16kg x 5 + 5
OHS @24kg x 2 x 10
Bent armbar @16kg x 3 + 3

Bent press session #1
Bent press @24kg x 12 x 1

Early afternoon - gym
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @16kg x 5
Goat bag swing @15kg x ~15
Goblet squat @16kg x 5

Squat session #1
Front squat, box @60kg x 25 x 1

Evening
Acroyoga practice x ~2hrs. Did all the transitions we studied in a flow, than isolated some basic ones and cleaned them up. I worked almost exclusively with Kedem. I like working with her allot, she helps me learn and is very sweet and communicative.

Front squat notes
  • I haven't squatted with a barbell since late June.
  • Feel like I haven't missed a step. Single 1 -3 had some slight rust on them, 4+ was all smooth. I had to slow down my squat a little bit so the bar won't hit my face.
  • My rack position feel more solid and connected than ever. I won't try to find a single cause for that, but that's a definite carryover from all the stuff I did.
  • I forgot to measure the box, but it well below parallel and maybe a bit higher than the lowest box I worked it in the past.

Morning

OS resets

Some minor DOMS in the upper thigh (both front and back), expected after first barbell squat session in 7 months, and hitting it in full stride. Tapping and ROMs (toe touch and OH) as usual so no CNS issues. Resets cleared most of it.

Evening - beach
OS resets

OS performance
Leopard crawl x 0:55 , 1:05 , 1:00 , 1:05 , 1:00 , 1:10 , 1:00 , 1:05 min - session length: 26 min

Used they residuals DOMS as an excuse the get smarter. Dialed some back and aimed for 1:00 min sets (and did a pretty nice job) and took plenty of (untimed) rest for freshness.

WTH? moment from yesterday
It was completely unplanned. During acroyoga practice we did teardrop. After a some seconds of balancing, and feeling rock solid in the position, I got bored and did a some partial human floor presses. But that not the cool part, the cool thing is that she barely felt that and just said "there was something a little different this time" :)

Morning

HR : 57
OS resets

Noon
Bent press session #2
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
HK halos @16kg x 5 + 5
OHS @24kg x 2 x 10

Work

Bus ride to the gym

Deadlift session #2
Prep

Goblet squat @16kg x 5
Goat bag swing @15kg x until hinge felt greased
Snatch @16kg x 5 + 5

Work
Deadlift @80kg x 5 x (2 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 1)

Notes
  • Starting to collect high volume on deadlifts and squats so started recording HR to help monitor recovery.
  • I'm staying pretty close to the 1 min rest periods, should stretch it out a towards 2 min for better freshness. All lifts were strong, but I feel I could have some more snap on some of them with some more rest. Maybe it's also the change in scenery from home to the gym...
  • On goat bag swings and deadlifts I focused on pulling my self down and "loading the spring" as Gray Cook calls it. It makes the setup little smoother.

I haven't directly said it, but I've loved watching you progress through the Justified Bent Press Cycles. Really an interesting lift, that one of these days I need to spend more time on.

I haven't directly said it, but I've loved watching you progress through the Justified Bent Press Cycles. Really an interesting lift, that one of these days I need to spend more time on.

Thanks! I loved progressing through it :)

I learned allot from bent pressing in general, and from Justafied Bent Pressing specifically. A while back I thought that being more of a yielding lift and support it seems that it is not "athletic builder". However, the lessons in body management and movement are priceless. You learn to move freely any way you wish, which is Athleticism.

And the pure trunk strength developed is gold ;).

Morning

HR : 62
OS resets

Later that morning - beach
Beach volleyball, high level, 4 sets (~2 hrs gross). Some rocking and baby crawls for prep.
Good and close sets (accept the third which we played poorly and got blown away). Good movement. Should do some goblet squats to grease the bottom of the squat a little better to smooth the reception even more. It was fine, but could and SHOULD be smoother.

OS performance
No leopard crawling today. Did plenty of movement in BVB and watching the total volume. Will do some more OS stuff during the day.

Morning

CNS tap : 80
HR : 57
OS - mostly playing with windshield wiper rocking

Evening
Bent press session #3
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
OHS @24kg x 2 x 10
Bent armbar @16kg x 3 + 5

Work

Bus ride to the gym

Squat session #2
Prep

Goblet squat @16kg x 5

Work
Front squat, box @60kg x 5 x (2 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 1)

Loosening
Some rolling and lengthy rocking variations, squat rolling, hip mobility and single sided bird dogs.

Squat session notes
  • Commercial gym at rush hour: Bad idea. I did a super speedy prep to catch the squat rack and paid heavily with tightness in my right hip. This reduced my speed and explosion out of the hole. While super abbreviating the prep because of impatience is completely my fault, and should not happen, the "rush hour" atmosphere is something that is hard for me to handle. Should either come, as usual, before, or switch to deadlift in the back room even if it is squat day... Did naked prying squats and marching as active rest with good results... but...
  • Super abbreviating the prep because of impatience: Don't do it again. Could have been a great session with proper prep. Was borderline acceptable.
  • Making lemonade: I got "spoiled" and used to good+ sessions. It was the first that I rate as acceptable in a long time. I'll use his sessions as a reminder for how things should be, and how they shouldn't...

Morning

HR : 60
OS resets

Afternoon - beach
Coaching beach volleyball ~1:30min

OS performance
OS resets prep

Leopard crawls x 6 x 1 min

• Did 3 sets, than went to band aid a girl that cut her foot, answer her questions about what I was doing and introduced her to OS. Helped her increase her "toe touch" by more than 5 cm with some standing breathing and head nodding. Went back crawling. It got cold and I lost some focus, so did 3 more sets and went home.
  • My stride length increased. I figured it out from the fact that it takes me about 1 mi to crawl a distance that I used to crawl in 1:10 - 1:15 (maybe even 1:20).

Morning

HR: 63
OS resets

Noon
Acroyoga practice ~2 hrs

Evening
OS stuff

Morning

Tap / HR : 77 / 58
OS resets (morning edition)
Suitcase carry @36kg x 1 + 1

Afternoon - gym
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @16kg x 5
Goat bag swing @15kg x until felt good
Dbl swing @2x16kg x 10
Dbl snatch@2x16kg x 5

W0rk
Bent press session #4

Bent press @(16kg + 8 kg) x 12 x 1

Deadlift session #3
Deadlift @80kg x 5 x (2 , 2 , 1 , 1 , 1)

Notes
  • Doubles work: 16kg competition bells feels unnecessary large and calls for wide sumo stance... The gym only have one 16kg classic bell.
  • Bent press: Stacked bells cause 16kg is the "heavy" one in the gym. First single each side felt a little awkward (specially R), the rest felt fine. This is actually nice to practice "odd" lifting from time to time. It makes you focus more.
  • Deadlift: I was worried about the deadlift volume, but so far it going well. I monitor my ROM after each session (learned it from the Biofeedback thread), today it was ridiculously high after deadlifting, both toe touch and OH. While I have very good ROM in both, I still use them as warning lights. Good ROM means little defensive inhibition (confident CNS), so seeing theses reduced will mean unhappy CNS.
  • Deadlift 2: I knew someone else deadlifts at this gym because of the chalk marks. Today was the first time I see this person deadlift. It was a girl probably 10-15kg lighter than me. She called her deadlifts 60-62.5kg, but I looked at the bar and she doesn't count the bar... so she lifts 80-82.5kg for reps. It made me happy to see girl lift heavy :) It also made think of one of Dan John's quotes that when a girl/woman lifts over 135lbs (or was it 165?) she's more likely than not rockstar hot...

Morning

Tap / HR : 75 / 58
OS resets - mostly windshield wiper stuff and some rocking

Evening
I have spent the nice sunny hours hanging out and working, time passed by and it felt a little to clod to go crawl at the beach (it probably only felt cold because it was after a sunny day). I did the next best thing for body management...

Loaded carries
Rounds of single-side rack carry and suitcase carry
Continuous : L rack -> L suitcase -> R rack -> R suitcase

@32kg x (1 + 1 + 1 + 1)
@32kg x (1 + 1 + 1 + 1)
@40kg (stacked 24kg + 16kg) x (1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2)
@36kg (stacked 32kg + 4kg) x (1 + 1 + 1 + 1)

Time under tension was ~7 min (30 sec for each "1")​

The stacked 40kg was taxing, specially the rack part. It is good practice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom