all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Morning session - beach
Prep

OS resets - long session
Leopard crawling ~ 40m in two legs
Beach volleyball - ball prep

Beach volleyball

6 sets of moderate - high level. Good movement, good jump, mostly good focus. Had some troubles with passing on the first set I played on the left side (played first 2 sets on the right side), cleared in later sets. Had one s***y set (5), corrected by a very good set on the next one.

Evening session
I stayed late at the beach, it was nice and sunny... Too tired and not focus enough for skilled lifting, so did the next best thing - skilless lifting ;)

Suitcase carry @40kg x 1 + 1
Goblet squat @40kg x 3 (Ok, this calls for some skill...)
Farmer carry @76kg x 2

Morning session

OS resets

Late morning session
Beach volleyball, low level, didn't count sets. Good movement, not enough motivating and empowering of the other players. Should (could?) have put some more effort in raising the overall level. Even sunnier and warmer than yesterday... almost got sunburned ;)

Than food, than short nap

Bent & Sinister - evening
Movement prep
OS birddog rotations
Tall and half kneeling club work
SOS get up @16kg x 2 + 2
Brettzel bent armbar @BU 8kg x 3 + 3
Club Slam and swing

Practice
Bent press@32kg x 10 x 1

One-hand swing @24kg x 10 x 6

• Volume: Since lifting is not my main event I always try to err on the side of less to not hurt my beach volleyball. This volume is easily tolerable and I recover well. I manage it by
    • Low swings volume (60 is the high volume day). On days I know I will player later it even 30 - 40
    • Low swing weight - stay with 24kg for OHS and vary the explosiveness (7 - 9 out of 10, depending on day)
    • Some days are heavier THS or OSE snatches. These are less stressful than OHS (THS has no counter rotation, OSE snatches are lighter and kind of forced relaxation if it makes sense)
    • Bent press NL in Justa's daily singles range (4 - 16) and not by-the-book B&S (10 - 20)
    • Taking days of (especially from swings) in days when playing level was on the higher level side.
    • "Forcing" a die roll of 1 when recovery is needed but not an off day.
  • However: I think I am gonna experiment a little by increasing the volume of the bent press to almost-by-the-book numbers before moving back to the 36kg (than maybe cutting down volume). Will decide next week. If so die roll will be 1 - 8 singles, 2,3,4 - 14 singles - 5,6- 20 singles.
    • Swing volume will remain more or less the same for now and will be increased by feel. Swings will get a dedicated treatment when the weather will get stormy.

Morning prep

OS resets

Beach volleyball - morning
About 2 hrs of playing at moderate level. Good movement and focus, great weather. Had allot of fun.

Beach volleyball - evening
Aout 2 hrs of moderate - high level. After three straight day time session it was really hard for me to focus visually at night. We also played in a court with bad lighting. It was also my fourth session in three days, so fatigue played its part. Personally played bad, somehow won at least half the sets, but played bad.

Lifting
No. Way to much work on the sand.

Morning prep

OS resets
Cook @20kg

Practice
Snatch @16kg x 6 x 5

Beach volleyball - morning session
4 Sets at what should theoretically be high level. We all played bad. CNS fatigue at it's finest... Couldn't focus and time anything... The morning snatches where good, which led me to things I read on Easy Strength and Supertraining (and probably Fundamentals of Special Strength Training) that specificity imposes the highest load on the CNS.

Bouldering class - night
First session of 4 in a bouldering class I singed for. Focus points: breathing, straight arms , leg work and staying close to the wall, planning your route before you start.

Morning prep

OS resets

Bent & Sinister - Afternoon
Movement prep

OS birddog rotations
Tall and half kneeling club work
SOS get up @16kg x 2 + 2
Club Slam and swing

Practice
Bent press@32kg x 4 x 1

One-hand swing @32kg x 2 x 5
  • Volume: It is a bad week to increase the load.
  • Swings @32kg: Good. Just did couple of sets with the BtP weight to make sure my hinge is fine for BVB practice.
Beach volleyball practice - evening
1:30 hrs, (specific BVB) CNS fatigue just made for a really bad session. Couldn't time my approach to save my life...
6 session in 5 days is...well... apparently more than enough. I knew it before I burned myself, but these great weather days in December will not last forever so I just seize the opportunities...

Morning session

OS resets
Cook @20kg

Rest day
A true rest day after the morning. Had very large CNS load the past 4 days. Sometimes we need those ;)

Morning session
Prep

OS resets
Cook @20kg

Practice
Two hand swing @40kg x 5 x 5

Bouldering - noon session
~1:30 hrs bouldering. Some V0, mostly V1, a handful of V2 - some completed, some not.
Felt that for most of the time I followed what I learned in practice on Monday.

Evening session
OS resets
Tall & half kneeling club work

Than felt that I can do a B&S session, but it will probably take more than it will give. Furthermore, 1:30 hrs of bouldering is basically a OSP session, so no reason to push it.

Bent & Sinister - morning
Movement prep

OS resets
Half kneeling club work
SOS get up @16kg x 2 + 2
Club Slam and swing

Practice

Bent press@32kg x 10 x 1

• Life: On Saturday I was contemplating increasing the volume of the bent press. Meanwhile that is the lowest lifting volume week I had in a really long time. Life introduced allot of eustress, both physical and mental. Adding my usual dose of lifting would probably be a distress, so I went with a low lifting volume week. Pretty good week so far :)
  • Bent press volume: However I did got some notion on bent press volume today. Since the practice portion of the session took just less than 9 minutes and was quite easy (6 out of 10 at most) I can definitely start adding volume.

Morning prep

OS resets
Cook @20kg

Beach volleyball - late morning to afternoon
~5 hrs of playing low to moderate level sets. Good playing and even better company. Overal had a very fun day. Than we went to eat. Than some rest. Than...

Bent & Sinister - night
Movement prep

OS birddog rotations
SOS get up @BU 12kg x 1 + 1 , 1 + 0.5 (Left failed at the top - forearm)

Practice
Bent press@32kg x 2 x 1 , 3 x 1 + 1

One-hand swing 3 x (@32kg x 2 x 5 , @24kg x 2 x 6)
  • Bent press volume: In light of yesterday I increased the volume, and after the first sets decided to go with no rest between L and R at least for the low volume day.
  • Swings: The 32kg felt good, the biggest difference for me is grip, which was my main reason to incorporate it since I've started climbing (although it is quite different grip mechanics). Need to monitor these since I feel that I might be overtaxing my grip, especially the injured left forearm.
  • Injured left forearm: I think the hit I got using the 36kg didn't heeled enough and is acting up when I overtax the grip. It is noticed in the BtP pull down from OH to the rack and most noticed with BU work (see BU GU at todays prep). I have started some mobility work with the Supernova and voodoo band after the session. I have talked to a physical therapist friend and she said it seems I just bruised myself. If it won't feel improvement this week I'll will switch to a OSP block to let it heel better.

Last edited:
Morning prep

OS resets
Leopard crawl

Bent & Sinister - night
Movement prep

OS windshield wipers, rocking and birddog rotations

Practice
Bent press@32kg x 14 x 1

One-hand swing @24kg x 6 + 6 , 2 x 6 , 2 x 6 + 6 , 2 x 6

Smashing and voodoo flossing left wrist

• Minimalist prep: The FMS hypothesis is that the collection of enough frequent positive responses it will result in positive adaptation. From time to time I like to do little to no prep on purpose to test validate it to myself and to validate my training. If my day-to-day movement training actually results in systematic adaptation it is good, if not something need to change. All good.

How long did you crawl for morning prep?

When I crawl as part of a morning prep or movement prep I don't time it. I do 10m forward + 5m backward + 5m forward continuously (bedroom to bathroom, back of a little and to bathroom). On periods when I use crawling as a main movement in training I time it. Legs are anywhere from 50sec to 1:20 min depending on when I am in the block. I don't aim for specific time, just crawl to about 80%-85% feeling, than rest, than crawl again...

I will probably go back to crawling as soon to let my left forearm rest...

Morning prep

OS resets
Leopard crawl

Bouldering lesson - night
1:30 hrs, learning knee drop technique

Morning prep

OS resets
Leopard crawl

~3 hrs of moderate level sets. Good movement and technique. Better people. Lots of fun.

Bent & Sinister - afternoon
Movement prep

OS rocking

Practice
Two hand swing @40kg x 6 , 8 , 5 , 10

Beach volleyball practice session - evening
1:30 hrs. Offense drills. Tons of jumping (both attack and block).
Than another ~1 hrs of low level sets.

• No bent press for two days in a row: I will let my bruised left forearm to heel properly. Bouldering session are counted volume wise as OSP session and serve as body management replacement for the bent press at the moment. Might add barbell bent press or switch completely to OSP block and crawl and carry for a while. I will see how this week goes and decide. For now the forearm feels better. It is getting tired faster than the right when climbing, but overall feel when recovered is much better than Sunday and Monday morning (today is Wednesday).

Morning session

OS resets
Leopard crawl

Rest of day
Rest.

Morning prep

OS resets
Leopard crawl

~3 hrs of moderate level play.

Bouldering session - evening
Just under 2:30 hrs. Some V0 and V1 for prep, than most of the time on a though V2 (a hard V2) that I had trouble with in recent sessions. Didn't finished him (couldn't match the top when I reached it), but I got better. However, session was to long and my grip and skin on the hand was toasted when I was done.

Beach volleyball - night
Super low level with some super beginners (one is a friend) for about 45 min

Prep

OS resets

Playing
5 sets of moderate-high level. Overall was fine, but I was tired from bouldering yesterday.
At the tail end of the last set, after a few consecutive balls I could not finish the point I remembered that I usually tell Tor to open her approach to the left an wait back and be patient. I didn't. So if I teach it it might be a good idea to practice it... Did just that and made the next consecutive three points, and five from the last six hits.

Morning session
Movement prep

OS resets

Practice
Barbell bent press @20kg x 6 x 1 + 1
  • Wanted to lift, but still resting my left forearm (feels much better). Choose to go light because the differences in setup and balance . Good call, the setup with a bar is very different.
Beach volleyball - early noon to afternoon
~5 hrs of low-moderate and moderate level play. Had some residual tiredness, and a few times wasn't on my best behavior.

Night session
Movement prep

Rocking

Practice
One-hand swing
@24kg x 6 + 6
@32kg x 6 + 6
@40kg x 2 x 3
@24kg x 2 x 6​
  • Felt very energetic so I decided to swing. Played with the weight cause I felt playful. The 40kg is definitely not a work bell yet for OHS, but not intimidating. Last sets of 24kg were super explosive (early 24kg and 32kg were good as well).
Overall last week
  • Low lifting volume this week: Letting my forearm rest and heel. Adding light barbell bent press to keep me sane.
  • Bouldering as OSP: Bouldering session are used also as body management sessions and as a training unit and not (just) as sports.

Morning prep

OS resets

Around 45 minutes

Morning prep

OS resets

Afternoon session
Movement prep

OS resets
Some club work
Goblet squat @24kg x 5

Practice
Barbell bent press @20kg x 3 x 1 + 1

Bouldering practice
Lesson #3 - hand crossings - 1:30 hrs

Rest. Visiting my parents.

Visiting my parents continued. Climbing for ~ 1hr.

Movement prep

OS resets
Some club work

Practice
Barbell bent press
@20kg x 4 x 1
@25kg x 6 x 1
One-hand swing @24kg x 4 x 6

~ 2hr

Morning

OS resets

Noon
Party.

Night
Some rocking
Goblet squat @32kg x 5

One-hand swing @32kg x 6 x 6

Morning session
Movement prep

OS resets

Practice
Barbell bent press @25kg x 6 x 1

Beach volleyball session
~4 hrs with 1 hour break. Gray, windy, and hangover players... started bad, mediocre after the break....

Bent & Sinister - night
Movement prep

OS resets
Some tall & half kneeling club work
Club slams and swings

Practice
Barbell bent press @25kg x 14 x 1

One-hand swings @24kg x 2 x 6 , 4 x 8

Notes
  • Low frequency/volume last couple of weeks: Low freq/vol due to bouldering and letting my left wrist rest. I really feel the low frequency, feels like I actually need the prep section... I don't think it will interfere with bouldering too much now that I have somewhat adapted. Will be back to my daily sessions. Just need to keep the volume bouldering in check.
  • Barbell bent press setup and groove: The setup with a bar is quite different than with KB, I think that the major groove difference I feel is in the start of the bend, which is due to setup issues. I know because a. problems in the beginning are usually setup related and b. when I emphasize the setup better I feel the start of the bend is smoother. The groove itself is different a little, but mostly because the balance point is different. When putting the bar in the back rack I need to emphasize bending the off-leg, when it is kept straight it is hard to start the bend. Slight bending of the off-leg happens naturally with a KB when one rotate the torso to put the bell in the back rack. With the bar one rotate the body instead of the bar to prevent bar rotation, so if there is no deliberate bend the leg it will not happen.

Morning prep

OS resets

Movement prep

OS resets
Some half kneeling club work
SOS GU -> Brettzel bent armbar complex @BU 8kg x (1+3) + (1+3) - 1 SOS GU + 3 BAB each side
Club slams and swings

Practice
Barbell bent press @25kg x 14 x 1

One-hand swings @24kg x 10 x 6

• Barbell bent press setup and groove: A work in progress, foot work and knee bend before the bend phase seems to be the key. When I do it well the bend is easy, when not the start of the bend is difficult an has some minor press-out to clear some room for wedging. The recovery phase is always easy since it is much lighter the my KB work weight. Nice thing is that because of the balance demands of the bar you keep tight and not cheat even with the lighter load. With the 24kg it would be mentally demanding to keep everything tight... My left forearm feels fine and I might try going back to 32kg KB in a day or two. I don't know if I'll mix things later...
  • Swings: Felt very powerful. Long time in the plank, patience in the back swing deep in the hole, than short as possible up swing. Average ~2 sec a swing.

Morning prep

OS resets
Leopard crawl

Afternoon session
Movement prep

Some rocking

Practice
Swing @40kg
Two-hand x 1 x 6
One-hand x 2 x 3
Two-hand x 1 x 6
One-hand x 2 x 3
Two-hand x 1 x 6
Bouldering lesson - night
Lesson #4 - last lesson. Heel work, endurance work, bet climbing day ever.

Morning prep

OS resets
Leopard crawl

Movement prep
OS resets
SOS GU -> Brettzel bent armbar complex @BU 8kg x (1+3) + (1+3) - 1 SOS GU + 3 BAB each side
Club slams and swings

Practice
Bent press @32 x 8 x 1

Snatch @16kg x 4 x 6
  • My left forearm felt great last week so I gave a try to KB again. Lifts were good, but at lifts 3 on the left I felt the pressure and pain on the 4th (and last). It somewhat heart my snatch as well, probably mentally more than anything else. Back to barbell for now, maybe will incorporate KB on low volume days...
[EDIT]
Beach volleyball practice
1:30 hrs. Offence and sideouts. First cold session, some annoying "ghost" wind. Pretty bad performance on my behalf. Was hard to keep concentration... Probably will be like this the first couple of cold weeks until I get acclimated to the weather.​

Last edited:
Prep

OS resets
Ball prep

Session
~2 hrs, started reasonably well, than lost some focus, mainly due to "partner communication". Some passing issues especially in the late sets.

Movement prep

OS resets

Practice
Barbell bent press @25 x 14 x 1

Two-hand swing @40kg x 4 x 6

• Barbell bent press: Setup it getting both better and more consistent, therefore the start of the bend is much smoother, since after the start everything is smooth... Started pulling down in a side-press - left is smoother than right.
  • Two hand swing: Sets by feel to supplement the morning session. Each set was better than the previous. Stopped way before deterioration.

Addition

~1 hr. Some V1 with allot of attention to technique - staying close to the wall - foot of reaching hand rooted on an anchor, second leg straight with foot touching the wall. Than succeeded an annoying V2 I had trouble with in recent session. Cleared it surprisingly without too much trouble. Took several attempts to figure the last move, but some more thinking off the wall cleared that up. I am happy with this session results.

Morning prep

OS resets
Leopard crawl

Beach volleyball session
~4 hrs of light-moderate to moderate sets.

Lifting
Rest. Yesterday was demanding, decided to take a rest day before I need one.

Bent & Sinister - morning
Movement prep

OS resets
SOS GU -> Brettzel bent armbar complex @BU 8kg x (1+3) + (1+3)

Practice
Barbell bent press @25kg x 5 x 1 + 1

Snatch @24kg x 4 x 5

Beach volleyball - noon
~4 hrs. Light-moderate to moderate level play. Really good day. Ton of fun, both from volleyball POV and social. Really good day. Weird weather - sunny than gray than rainy without a single cloud in the sky round and round... Or played her best day by far up to this point. Really good day.

Bent session - noon
Movement prep

OS resets

Practice
Barbell bent press @25kg x
1 x 1 + 1
1 x 2 + 2
8 x 1 + 1​
  • Setup & groove: Last couple of days setup is precise, since everything feels smooth I will claim it is also accurate and on target. The bend is smooth and easy, the pull down tight. The doubles were less challenging than I thought they would be, which IMO validates my previous observations. Now that I am accustomed to bar setup and groove the 25kg start to feel kind of light. I'll start adding double, if all keep in track I'll bump to 30kg in the very near future (will probably be introduce as Justa's singles week since I don't want to mess with the plates during a session, I got spoiled and like my meditative lifting state)
& Sinister session - evening
Movement prep
OS resets
Goblet squat @32kg x 5

Practice
One hand swing @32kg x 6 x 6

Last edited:
Morning prep

OS resets
Leopard crawl

Bent session - evening
Movement prep

OS resets

Practice
1 x 1 + 1
2 x 2 + 2
4 x 1 + 1​
  • The 1+1 took a little too much energy to swing later. Had no affect on the bent press itself but felt that swings won't be as explosive as I want them to. I think that I haven't ate enough today as well so it might be a factor.

Practice session - afternoon

One hand swing @32 x 8 x 6

Morning prep

OS resets
Leopard crawl

LAST DAY AT WORK!

Bent press session - evening
Movement prep

Practice

1 x 1 + 1
3 x 2 + 2
6 x 1 + 1​

• Have not learn the lesson from Sunday to not do 1+1s before swinging. I feel great afterwards, but lack of "explosive-confidence"

Bouldering session - noon

Almost 3 hrs gross. Had a coffee and snack break in mid session.
Part 1
Did some V0 and V1 as prep, than a new V2, cleared it without much trouble. Than couldn't figure couple of new V2.

Part 2
Cleared a V2 I had some trouble with in the past.
Tried to solve a couple of new V2. I think I figured the blue one, was to tired to try another run with confidence.

Might do a short session tomorrow on routes I have already solved to own my movements.

Some OS throughout the day.

Swing session - night
One hand swing @32kg x 2 x 4
Two hand swing @40kg x 4 x 6
  • Rock tax: Grip was tired from the climbing, so did some THS. The rest of my body is getting quite adapted to climbing. Although swings wasn't as explosive as usual I attribute it more to power inhibition due to lack of confidence in the grip than anything else... Should lift before climbing...

Morning prep

OS resets

Bent - evening
Movement prep

OS resets

Practice
2 x 1
8 x 2
4 x 1​

• Bent press groove: Less smooth than recent sessions. It's rainy and windy outside and I think it took me out of my zone. Still good lifts. The doubles sure make sure there are no tension leaks.
  • No swings: Grip still fatigued from yesterday long bouldering session. Decided to be smart and let may hands rest another day.

Morning session
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @32kg x 5

Practice
One hand swing @32kg x 8 x 6

Noon
Some OS stuff, leopard crawls, first time playing with Spider-Man crawl.
Suitcase carry @40kg x 1 - 4 rounds (1 round - 1 side), GTGish

Afternoon
Club work: Tall and half-kneeling, slams, swings and some standing movement practice

Bent session - evening
Movement prep

OS resets
SOS GU to BB armabr complex @BU 8kg x (1 + 3) + (1 + 3)
Goblet squat @32kg x 5

Practice
Barbell bent press @30kg x 4 x 1

Morning prep

OS resets
Spider-Man crawl x 10m + 5m + 5m (F + B + F)

Movement prep

OS resets
SOS GU to BB armabr complex @BU 8kg x (1 + 3) + (1 + 3)
Goblet squat @32kg x 5
Spider-Man crawl x 10 + 5 + 5m

Practice
Barbell bent press @30kg x 6 x 1

One hand swing @32kg x 8 x 6

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom