all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Recent Fitness-Related Purchases

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I don't even know what this is!
Thibs has an idea that training should differ based on neurotransmitter levels. By asking questions he determines what you’re hi/lo in and then that determines the style of training.

Just ordered a second crane scale and enough wire to rig up a remote display.

These are inexpensive enough that I'll use the second scale only as a back-up, primarily just a rugged housing for the display on the in-use scale.

The single scale with local display was only going to work with a mirror or camera, even then only for occasional benchmarking. Having a remote display will greatly expand its utility. Crane scales with built in remote display start at about $300, this will run about $65.

I give you the isometric FranCranestein Scale. Aka the misery-maker.

Per my earlier post, a crane scale with remote monitor is several hundred dollars. Two of these from Azon are $50 plus some wire and a bunch of time with a soldering iron. Cut the leads between the batteries and strain gauge, and the display/controller, ran em 8ft across. Voilà! I even have a built in backup if one should stop working.

Spurred to make this by Alex Natera observation that even his most motivated athletes pushed harder when they were being objectively measured.

Time to start benchmarking. 100lbs on the one arm press.

Last edited:
I give you the isometric FranCranestein Scale. Aka the misery-maker.

Per my earlier post, a crane scale with remote monitor is several hundred dollars. Two of these from Azon are $50 plus some wire and a bunch of time with a soldering iron. Cut the leads between the batteries and strain gauge, and the display/controller, ran em 8ft across. Voilà! I even have a built in backup if one should stop working.

Spurred to make this by Alex Natera observation that even his most motivated athletes pushed harder when they were being objectively measured.

Time to start benchmarking. 100lbs on the one arm press.

Interested to see how it works out. I definitely can see how some objective metrics would be motivating. Nice work!

Interested to see how it works out. I definitely can see how some objective metrics would be motivating. Nice work!
Yeah, its already demonstrating some value. Part of my current regimen uses a bunch of rapid fire efforts taken to "as hard as I can". With the scale I can see when the effort tops out.

Indexing many of the values to traditional lifting analogs will require I set up dead over the anchor points, no lurching, crossing straps etc - this will only be for infrequent testing. Is still going to allow for objective tracing and real-time gauge of force output.

Time to dust off my notebook.

Yeah, its already demonstrating some value. Part of my current regimen uses a bunch of rapid fire efforts taken to "as hard as I can". With the scale I can see when the effort tops out.

Indexing many of the values to traditional lifting analogs will require I set up dead over the anchor points, no lurching, crossing straps etc - this will only be for infrequent testing. Is still going to allow for objective tracing and real-time gauge of force output.

Time to dust off my notebook.
And the metrics will add some "fun"!

Back
Top Bottom