all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

Gonna run another cycle of ROP once I finish my current program.

Curiously, apart from MSFG Jon Engum's article on how he used the HSPU using ROP ladders, has anyone tried doing the same with one arm pushups, push presses or jerks?

Thought of that already. Thanks for the reply. Makes lots of sense. Due to work schedule (shift work) it might even change once in a while. Maybe even the occasional light day after the heavy day.

@Steve Freides I was doing Monday (Heavy), Wed (Medium) and Fri (Light) with two days rest (weekend) before my heavy day. I like the idea of doing light day on Wednesday to help with recovery. I shall try that sequence, next time I do ROP.

@Abdul Rasheed, that sounds worth a try to me. I don't think most people need both light day before heavy day and also two days off before heavy day. Give it a try and let us know how it works out for you.

-S-

I do Tuesday - Light, Thursday - Medium and Sunday - Heavy. Thanks to this I not only have 2 days rest before heavy day, but I have whole weekend to get really rested. Also heavy RoP session is the longest (5 step ladders can take really a lot of time), so on Sunday I am sure I have enough time. During weekdays unfortunately sometimes I need to rush through the ladders.

Has anyone subd ring push ups in place of C&P on their light day? If so how did you program them? I'm thinking ring push up ladders with pull ups followed by snatches. I would build rep volume sticking with five sets of three rungs for the push ups.

I'm not really concerned with reaching the ROP standards now, but I would like to become stronger on presses and a more proficient snatcher. And some more chest meat :cool:

Has anyone subd ring push ups in place of C&P on their light day? If so how did you program them? I'm thinking ring push up ladders with pull ups followed by snatches. I would build rep volume sticking with five sets of three rungs for the push ups.

I'm not really concerned with reaching the ROP standards now, but I would like to become stronger on presses and a more proficient snatcher. And some more chest meat :cool:

You can do ring pushups or ring dips on variety day without having to push the envelope

I would love to do ROP someday soon but I am so confused about the swings. I like concrete numbers (ie S&S). The way it is written is not good for my brain.

What did everyone do for the swings?

I did not use the Dice.

Light Day I did Snatches 40-60 ( I would go rounds of 4/4,5/5, 6/6 depending on how saucy I felt)

Medium Day I did Swings 100-140 (in sets of 10)

Heavy Day I did Swings 80-100 (sets of 10)

That is how I did it recently.

I pretty much only do One Arm swings now. I have large mitts and 2H swings are not comfortable at all for me really. The only time I do them is with heavy for me bells (right now the 40-48kg) and that is very infrequently. Your mileage may vary.

That is a hard point in RoP. You need to have good self awareness.

There are two problems with not having strict number of reps:
- it is hard to estimate what is 50% and 70% of your max;
- it is easier to push yourself if you know the amount you need to do;

So what I do:
I do max on my heavy day. Max meaning - as much as possible, with minimum rest between sets, without vomiting ;)
Then I calculate my speed of swinging per minute.
Then on light day I do 50% speed of last heavy day, on medium day I do 70% speed of last heavy day.

Thanks to this I push myself hard (heavy day) and I also have a fixed number of reps to perform (others).

There are some variations I take into account:
- if I was doing 12 minutes on heavy day and now I have 2 minutes on my medium it is understandable I will be able to rest less, so I increase the speed;
- on the other hand, if last heavy day was 2 minutes and now medium is 12 minutes I will reduce the speed;
- if the weight is big, 1 snatch is heavier than 1 swing, so take this into account;

I do all these calculations before I start (but after throwing dices).

2 more guidelines (I try to take them into account while in session):
- 70% is comfortable max;
- 100% is more :)

And remember, it is not so crucial to hit 50% and 70%. It is important to vary the load on your body - or scientifically speaking: vary the heart rate zone you train in.

I did not use the Dice.

Light Day I did Snatches 40-60 ( I would go rounds of 4/4,5/5, 6/6 depending on how saucy I felt)

Medium Day I did Swings 100-140 (in sets of 10)

Heavy Day I did Swings 80-100 (sets of 10)

That is how I did it recently.

I understand there is an error and you swapped Medium Day with Heavy one?

How long do you rest between sets? Cause as far as I understand RoP program the swing/snatch part is mainly for stamina and endurance, so you should push yourself with these.

What's the general consensus on rest between rungs? I was thinking 2 mins?

I'm going to do 1 arm rows. Is this how I do it?

R C&P
R row
Rest
L C&P
L row
Rest

I like to just roll the dice on my heavy day then keep the same minutes for the week, I know its not as written, but seems easier for me to judge the pace for light and medium days. I don't time rest, I'll go with 20 swings and a break of 7-8 breaths for heavy day and 20 swings and 10-12 breaths for medium day. You could just up the swings and keep the breaths the same between sets too. I may be completely wrong, but I like it.

I was going to create a new thread with this, but this thread seemed like a good place for it. After completing two peaking weeks with press ladders @24kg, I tested my max with the 32 today. Managed 4 on the left side and 7 on the right! Very pleased with these results, excited to start ladders with the 32kg and see where that takes me. This thread is great by the way.

I would love to do ROP someday soon but I am so confused about the swings. I like concrete numbers (ie S&S). The way it is written is not good for my brain.

What did everyone do for the swings?

I have read all the warnings about the evils of "mixing" programs, but would it be all that wrong to use the rep scheme from S&S and apply it to the swing/snatch portion of RoP? I don't know why it would be given that the goals are similar (200 swings in 10 min for S&S vs. 200 snatches in 10 min for RoP), but if anyone sees a negative please post.

Back
Top Bottom