all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

For me the ROP is about the PRESS. The Swings I tend to keep around 100 in a 10x10 format occasionally going as high as 140 but never lower than 80. Snatch practice I keep low as well and usually do 5 rounds at 4/4 or 5/5.

For me the ROP is about the PRESS. The Swings I tend to keep around 100 in a 10x10 format occasionally going as high as 140 but never lower than 80. Snatch practice I keep low as well and usually do 5 rounds at 4/4 or 5/5.

Interesting. I have read ETK and decided that RoP is perfect for me because I can do a lot of cardio and endurance training without doing any running (which I hate). So snatches and swings are always my main concern, up to a point that when I have had days when I needed to cut my training time I was cutting C&P, not swings/snatches. C&P was a bonus and I always considered it as a strength boost which allowed me to go further without much muscle fatigue, not the main point of RoP.

But now that I think of it, RoP stands on 2 legs and neglecting either is basically not doing RoP.

Do 200 snatches in 10 minutes and do 5x5 step ladders with your KB and only then you have completed Rite of Passage! :)

Last edited:
Yes - ROP is a classic template of a press and a pull.

Hello, I'm new to the Forum. I've been doing ROP for about 3 months, even more. I have everything noted down but not on me, I'm not at home. I'll post the exact date.
I'm a skinny guy, 1.75 m. - 63 kg. I've never been strong. That's why I'm here.

I started with a 16 kg until I got to 5x(1,2,3,4,5) on heavy days.
Then I switched to a 20 kg and I currently doing this:
Heavy 3x(1,2,3) 1x(1,2)
Medium 4x(1,2)
Light 5x(1)

I have some questions.
1.- According to what I've read here, the ROP is a 3 months program. What should I do now if I've already spent 3 months?
Should I carry on to 5x(1,2,3,4,5) with the new weight? Should I change to another training protocol?
2.- Should I do the same number of ladders (4) on light days? Or rest more on H and M days and try the 5th ladder?
3.- For the SFG 1, I need to use the 24 kg :eek:. Any advise? I know the answer is 'time', but any advise will be welcome.

Kind Regards,

@candelas it's not really a three month program. Pavel recommends that you stick with it until you achieve a 1/2 body weight press and pass the Snatch test - 100 in 10 minutes.

In reality, most people move on before that, but it's generally due to boredom rather than exhausting results.

1. One cycle of the ROP takes about three months, but you may repeat it, as you are, until it fails to help you progress. Carry on with what you're doing. Did you test your max at the end of the 16 kg ROP? If so, what were the results; if not, why? Please be sure to test at the end of your current, 20 kg ROP - follow the instructions for doing so.

2. The book is quite specific about the ladders and reps - follow the instructions.

3. Please go here

How Should I Prepare for My Upcoming Cert?

to read about the requirements for the press and other lifts for the SFG Level I. For you, yes, it will be 24 kg - only if you're lighter than 60 kg do you get to use the 20 kg bell instead (or over 50 years old).

-S-

Thanks Baker and Steve for your time.
I'll stick with ROP. I'll repeat the cycle. I'm already doing it.

@Steve Freides
1.-
Well, yes I tested my max. I was able do one rep with my right arm with the 24 kg, and none with the left. Another day I did none with the right and one with the left.

2.- I'll follow the instructions. Heavy day dictates the rest of days.

3.- I already know the requirements. ;)
I have some templates for the snatch.
I'm doing snatches twice a week. I know the ROP specifies only one day of snatch, the light day.
I've started doing snatches with the 24 kg, but just a few reps, 3+3,4+4. It's still too heavy for me. My technique gets compromised if I do more reps. If possible, I'll try to add 2 reps every month.
Today I did 5+5 OTM for 8 minutes with a 20 kg. I was able to keep a good form. :)
I'll try 4+4 OTM for 5 minutes with the 24.
I've also done 8+8 with the 16 kg for 8 minutes.

Please feel free to comment. Any help is much welcome. Gravity and the Laws of Physics are against me. For now.

@candelas ROP is a great program and it will serve you for years to come. The ROP does not give up but most will give up on the ROP and move on. I usually cycle it in 1-2 times a year when I really want to focus on the press.

Time and consistency will get you there. Show up and put in the work and you will be pressing heavier in no time.

@candelas you have gotten stronger since you're now using a 20 vs the 16.

In order to be prepared for the SFG, you need to be "Strong First" (pun intended) and build a base of strength in which you can comfortably handle a 24kg for most (or better yet, all) of the standards..

Unless you have already signed up for an SFG cert, I would not worry yet, you have plenty of time to milk the gains you get from ROP.

@candelas, for snatches, since the goal is a high number of reps, I don't recommend a weight you can only snatch for a few sets of a few reps. See if you can work up to some volume with lighter weight in the snatch, e.g., do sets of 5 with a weight you can manage for 8-10 reps in good form, and work up to being able to do sets of 10 with it in good form.

-S-

Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate them.
@MikeMoran. As you say,the key is time and consistency.

In fact, I think all three of you convey a similar message.

Gravity and the Laws of Physics are against me. For now.

Nah, they work for you :) If it was not for them, we could not use kettlebells to get stronger. Think of them as your training partners ;)

And welcome to great road of kettlebell training. It is long and just a bit hard, but very rewarding.

Coming back to the ROP after a stent doing other things. It always feels like an old friend or coming home. Weird way to think about a program, that it's comforting.
I own a 32 kg bell and I've yet to complete the pressing ladders with that bell but I'm not to far off. Just planning ahead here. If getting a heavier bell is prohibitively expensive, what ways can I milk the 32 kg for more after I achieve the ladders as laid out in the book?

Thanks
Sam

Hello, I know that between rungs and ladders 1-3 minutes of rest are optimal but how much rest do you suggest to take between c&p and pullups?
Thank you
Matteo

Hello, I know that between rungs and ladders 1-3 minutes of rest are optimal but how much rest do you suggest to take between c&p and pullups?
Thank you
Matteo
There is no "optimal" rest between rungs or ladders, nor between supersetted C&P and pull-ups. Ladders originated as an "I go, you go" format, so the "default" rest between rungs is approximately the same time as the work set took, maybe a little longer, but there is no reason to stick to this default if it doesn't agree with your goals.

ETK has a good, one-page explanation of the reasons to shorten or lengthen your rest periods.

Since the recommendation is to superset, I have generally gone straight from the last press directly into the first pull-up, and then taken my "between rungs" rest after that.

Hope that's helpful.

-S-

Thank you very much Steve,

I'll read again with attention the page of the book, but your answer is very helpful. I think my rest is more longer than I need now.

Matteo

Back
Top Bottom