all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

@Shawn90 so 100 snatches in 5 mins are one of my goals for 2018. (hopefully at TSC, but we shall see) any who one thing thats been working for me is to snatch once a week and swing twice a week with 10/10 snatches on min for 2 mins. it gets extra snatches in there while still getting some heavy swings + you will then understand the connection between swings and snatches. and if your shoulder is bugging you a little do high pulls at the end instead of snatches.

If you’re doing swings as the ROP suggests as part of your ROP, then I would not add any additional leg work. OTOH, I and others have had success using the pressing portion of the ROP but replacing the swings with other things.

One other possibility is to take hint from ROTK and finish each ladder with a set of front squats.

-S-
after long time cramping the butt and kneecaps, sets of swing to me are twice time harder. is that normal?

i'm working with the 25 kg bells, 4 rungs. my left side is not as strong as the right side. i can barely press the 30 kg with the left, but on the right i can press it 7 times maximum. how can i improve my strong side ?

sorry for bad English. MP requires hard kneecaps pulling and cramping the butt to build tension. after many sets of press, i feel swinging is much more challenging, especially in planking part. i do lots of shaking between sets of press.

I progressed from the 16Kg to 20KG bell yesterday. I was able to do 5 reps with both the left and right on the 20 KG the previous day using GTG where I did a set each hour during work. My swing numbers are good witb the 16Kg, but my snatch numbers are pretty low still. Monday is my light day, so it will be interesting to see my snatch numbers on the 20.

sorry for bad English. MP requires hard kneecaps pulling and cramping the butt to build tension. after many sets of press, i feel swinging is much more challenging, especially in planking part. i do lots of shaking between sets of press.

Well, sounds like you're overdoing it.
Yes, you should build up tension but not that much that it actually slows you down or causes your muscles to cramp.
Just enough to turn your bidy into a "pillar of power" or "exoskelleton" but def not so much that your muscles start cramping. This is actually dangerous because it makes you unstable and thereby defeating its own purpouse.

Well, sounds like you're overdoing it.
Yes, you should build up tension but not that much that it actually slows you down or causes your muscles to cramp.
Just enough to turn your bidy into a "pillar of power" or "exoskelleton" but def not so much that your muscles start cramping. This is actually dangerous because it makes you unstable and thereby defeating its own purpouse.

I don’t think he means an actual cramp. I think that’s a google translate error for “flexing/tensing/squeezing.”

One word to confuse them all.. ROFL

I'm really enjoying ROP, wow !
Question: When testing your press do you re-clean the bell before each press, or just MP all the way ?
And when testing, do you test your rep maximum with the next bell, or a new PR for a single ?

One word to confuse them all.. ROFL

I'm really enjoying ROP, wow !
Question: When testing your press do you re-clean the bell before each press, or just MP all the way ?
And when testing, do you test your rep maximum with the next bell, or a new PR for a single ?
I believe the “test day” chapter in the book addresses both. IIRC:
- Don’t recall if MP or C&P, but you can “catch” the bell with slight hip dip (no slow negative) to preserve energy
- PR with ladder bell if you aren’t sure if you can get a rep with the next size up (probably +8kg but maybe 4kg)

When testing your press do you re-clean the bell before each press, or just MP all the way ?
MP all the way.
To determine your starting weight for RoP you have to find your 5-8RM press - Press (!!!), not C&P.
It's only logical to use the same after the program.

Last edited:
Found it:
ETK p.145 “From Boy to Man” said:
Test with your next size up kettlebell. If you have pressed it in the past, go for a C&P record, as long as you stay in the 1-5 rep range.
The next page (“Kettlebell Clean & Press Rules”) specifies clean and press.

A little earlier (p.137) it does say you can do MP ladders on the Light day “when you have developed solid technique”.

So it would seem it’s always C&P unless opting for MP ladders on Light day.

I believe the “test day” chapter in the book addresses both. IIRC:
- Don’t recall if MP or C&P, but you can “catch” the bell with slight hip dip (no slow negative) to preserve energy
- PR with ladder bell if you aren’t sure if you can get a rep with the next size up (probably +8kg but maybe 4kg)

I find the book on the 4th chapter a little vague, which is why I asked. Also it isn't about starting weight. I intend cycle through with 20kg then 24kg (started with 16kg) And since I could press 24 kg x4 times, BEFORE I started ROP I assume I will be very capable of pressing it x5+ after finishing a cycle with 20 kg. The 50% bw press goal for me is 32 kg, might be able to after finishing a cycle with 24 kg.

The way I understood the book, you test your pressing strength with re-cleaning the bell..

I find the book on the 4th chapter a little vague, which is why I asked. Also it isn't about starting weight. I intend cycle through with 20kg then 24kg (started with 16kg) And since I could press 24 kg x4 times, BEFORE I started ROP I assume I will be very capable of pressing it x5+ after finishing a cycle with 20 kg. The 50% bw press goal for me is 32 kg, might be able to after finishing a cycle with 24 kg.

The way I understood the book, you test your pressing strength with re-cleaning the bell..
Yes, always C&P except for optional Light day ladders with MP (no clean between presses). I found and posted the quote above.

You’re where I am: completed with 16, not quite at 5-8 reps (clean before each press) with 24. Next, instead of all ladders with 20, I intend to mix 20/24, with the first 1-3 rungs at 24 and remaining rungs at 20.

Test days every 4 weeks will “clear” me to make the next rung be 24, until I can rep out 5 ladders to 5 with 24. So perhaps 14-16 weeks instead of the 11-13 weeks with a single bell.

Taking a few weeks of S&S between cycles, I’m “upgrading my [24kg] press” with the Soju & Tuba program done GTG style.

While perhaps not this order as written, I believe the sequence to start RoP is:
- clean and press a bell 1 left, 1 right, 2 left, 2 right, 3 left, 3 right. Do 2-4 more of those ladders (3-5 total ladders). That’s your first Heavy day. * The book does prescribe easy clean, press, and snatch practice while on the Program Minimum (now S&S), so you should have some idea of a 5-8RM bell size.
- next training day (Light day) stop 2 rungs lower than your highest ladder: 3-5 singles
- next training day (Medium day), stop 1 rung lower than the highest ladder: 3-5 ladders of 1,2
- next training day (Heavy, a week after the last one) add 1 more rung to the first ladder (or add a ladder if the first Heavy day was only 3 ladders)
- Repeat until the Heavy day is 5 rungs to 5 (scale Medium and Light accordingly), or if monthly test days yield 5-8 solid C&Ps with the next-size bell

Page 149 has three test day scenarios. You and I were Girevik A, but in our next cycle would be Girevik B. These would be our approaches to the monthly test days: trying to rep out (to 5, see page 145) with 24 or go for a single rep with 32.

Last edited:
The recent question and my post yesterday has me still thinking:

Should one always start RoP with 3-5 ladders to 3 rungs (with 5-8RM bell)? Or should one take the first (heavy) training day to go for as many (quality) rungs per ladder as one can (e.g. you might be firmly able to start with one or two 4-rung ladders)?

The recent question and my post yesterday has me still thinking:

Should one always start RoP with 3-5 ladders to 3 rungs (with 5-8RM bell)? Or should one take the first (heavy) training day to go for as many (quality) rungs per ladder as one can (e.g. you might be firmly able to start with one or two 4-rung ladders)?

Good question, but I think it hardly matters in the beginning.

I started light on purpose with 5 ladders / 3 rungs, and just cycle through. Without testing I started a new cycle with the next bell. Saturday is my heavy day, but I start on monday (light) with 3 singles for 3 rounds.

IMO it's a safety reason so you can ease into the volume.
Obviously you don't have to do it if you don't want to.
Keep in mind that you're able to complete the 5x (1,2,3,4,5) from the very beginning. You still don't do it, because it would be overly taxing and take you 4 hours to complete.

Back
Top Bottom