5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

Day 1

Squat
135 x 5, 195 x 5, 225 x 5
245 x 10r, 195 x 20r

B1) Inverted Rows x 20,15,15
B2) Push-ups x 20,15,15
B3) Dumbbell RDLS (2 x 25 lbs) x 20,15, 15

Squat set of 10 easier than set of 20. Starting light to build up.

Top set

Widowmaker

Day 2

Bench Press
135 x 5, 155 x 5,
175 x 5 x 5

B1) Inc Row - 50 lbs x 15,15,15
B1) Inc D-bell Press - 50 lbs x 15,15,15

Bench done with no leg drive, minimal arch and narrower grip. All paused. Aim to increase volume for assistance.

Sled x 10 sprints

Day 3 OFF

Day 4

Deadlifts (Defecit 2 in” mats)
135 x 5, 225 x 5, 275 x 5,315 x 5
345 x 5r

B1) Dips x 15,15,10,10
B2) Deadlifts
(touch n go, 2 in) 275 x 5,5,5,5,5

C1) BSS - 20 lbs x 20,15,15
C2) Curls x 20 lbs x 20,15,15

After the second set, hamstrings feel like they’ve just awoken from a coma. Maybe some swings to loosen them up a bit. Legs were still feeling it from Monday’s squat, though it did not impede the training much.

Decided to pull conventional for now. It’s feeling optimistically all right. The heavy set is always dead stop and the rep sets are TnG, a la Surovetsky format.

This is a good time to review my technique. A horizontal movement, pulling at 11 O’Clock instead of straight up. This works well for me in getting my long femurs out of the way so the knees are extended as the bar reaches them. Of course to find my wedge, I do have to bend my knees a bit to get the pressure in my feet and my torso pulled into my thighs.

I’ve found the real limiter of the dead is the abdominal tension one gathers in this method as essentially the pull starts by pressing the thighs away from the belly. It is optimal to have them pushing into each other at the start of the lift.

The mixed grip of s tricky to balance at times but I’ve found the double overhand tends to struggle, especially on touch and go’s, as the bar rolls and the grip isn’t reset between reps. Oddly, I e began to use my right hand (dominant) for the supinated side, which I’d never done before in my entire training career.

Top set (dead stop)

Reps

Last edited:
Day 5

Press- 95 x 5, 105 x 5, 115 x 5
95 x 5 x 10 sets

Chins between presses, KB floor press w 50 lbs, sled

Been a while since going overhead. This is where my right arm feels stronger. Chins were more difficult than I expected, perhaps due to weight gain or overhead mobility. Perhaps this needs work.

Floor press felt better for the shoulder than off a bench. Sleds are invigorating, especially since my glutes are torched from BSS and deadlifts…though more likely BSS.

I feel so lost in the forum now. Don’t know where training blogs are even checked. Had to navigate @masa and @ShawnM ‘s blogs by clicking their names, then latest postings, etc. getting too old for all the changes in this world!

Day 6/7 OFF (Niners lose ☹️)

Day 1

Squat 135 x 5, 210 x 5, 235 x 3
260 x 10r

210 x 20r (widow maker)

Push-ups, BW Rows, Dumbbell RDL’s

Squats feel strong but warmup needs to be specific. With only one squat session a week, I’ll need to be sure to do some movement/mobility during the week.

Currently my warmup is a general exercise flow like arm circles, high knees, ankle swirls and the like but some lift specific preparation drills may be useful.

My asymmetries are present, especially on walkouts. I sometimes wonder where my ideal foot position and angle are, as the most comfortable is when my left foot it turned slightly more in.

With the barbell, the hips (left and right side) also seem to rise at different rates from one another. If I filmed from the back, I’d probably se some asymmetries in the torso and shoulder.

Once again, top set is less challenging than the widowmsker set. It took me a rep to get depth. My bar path is certainly not straight line but shoot, it feels sufficient. A tendency to throw the went on my hips and off the knees. My glutes suffer a brawl while my knees are having a ball.

Accessory work is easy. I take my time. I don’t differentiate movement vs muscles as I try to do both. When the movement is right, the right muscles do the work. Plus a pinup is nice.

Top Set (loud audio/mute)

Widowmaker

Great training, buddy. Did you find the path to forum's training logs?
Thanks @masa !

I did! It’s become easier. I’m be of my homepages is the SF forum and it directs me automatically to the non training log threads but I figured my way around. Thank you! Good to be posting and seeing all the regulars are on the train!

My asymmetries are present, especially on walkouts. I sometimes wonder where my ideal foot position and angle are, as the most comfortable is when my left foot it turned slightly more in.
I feel like different foot positions almost deserve to be called different squat variants. My natural/instinctive foot position is turned out a fair amount, and the weak point in the chain is my inner thighs. If I turn my feet more parallel, it seems to take a lot of the stress off my inner thigh, and instead moves it to the lower quad. But I don't like how that feels for my knees, so I avoid it. I wonder if one or the other is "ideal" per se... or if it's more the sort of thing where I'd be best off cycling foot position to try to cover all the weak spots.

I feel like different foot positions almost deserve to be called different squat variants. My natural/instinctive foot position is turned out a fair amount, and the weak point in the chain is my inner thighs. If I turn my feet more parallel, it seems to take a lot of the stress off my inner thigh, and instead moves it to the lower quad. But I don't like how that feels for my knees, so I avoid it. I wonder if one or the other is "ideal" per se... or if it's more the sort of thing where I'd be best off cycling foot position to try to cover all the weak spots.
I definitely think the more ideal is whatever is comfortable, causes no pain. That being said, I find depending on your other training, your comfortable stance may vary between cycles. Say you spent time bringing up your mobility/weak muscle group/changing bar position/bw increase or decrease. These things may all affect your stance at some point.

I find I must point my feet outwards to reach depth, as this affords me hip/knee flexion demands by utilizing lateral distance (knees out).

I agree that different stances would qualify as specified variety same as grip on bench press. Westside uses stances as variety to ME lifts.

It may be something to expirement with later.

Day 2

Bench Press
185 x 5 x 5 sets

Inc Dbell press, incline rows, sled.

I don’t feel like listing all the reps/weights for assistance work but have a mental record of the previous week’s effort.

Bench is finicky. What feels strong one week feels awkward the next. I’m speaking in respect to stance/technique.

Starting with the “no leg drive” and had to finish with the feet planted. The idea for using no leg drive was to force my pressing muscles to work harder from the bottom. I would make my body basically “drape over the bench” as to still be braced and unmoved by the weight but utilize no drive from the feet to move the weight…

It’s interesting in the no leg drive bench, the glutes must still be clenched (as well as the hamstring/quads). The legs not only act as a driver of the weight, but they stabilize the torso and arch from caving to the weight at chest level.

I notice my bench suffers after a hard squat day, like today. Although the sets were manageable, I felt weaker then I’d anticipated. My glutes were quite sore today.

My last heaviest set of 5’s (2 weeks prior) were with 205, so this was 90 % of that. I’ve also utilized a flat foot stance while my strongest is on my toes. My upper body, however, is growing.

Leg less Bench

Leg Drive Bench

Day 2

Bench Press
185 x 5 x 5 sets

Inc Dbell press, incline rows, sled.

I don’t feel like listing all the reps/weights for assistance work but have a mental record of the previous week’s effort.

Bench is finicky. What feels strong one week feels awkward the next. I’m speaking in respect to stance/technique.

Starting with the “no leg drive” and had to finish with the feet planted. The idea for using no leg drive was to force my pressing muscles to work harder from the bottom. I would make my body basically “drape over the bench” as to still be braced and unmoved by the weight but utilize no drive from the feet to move the weight…

It’s interesting in the no leg drive bench, the glutes must still be clenched (as well as the hamstring/quads). The legs not only act as a driver of the weight, but they stabilize the torso and arch from caving to the weight at chest level.

I notice my bench suffers after a hard squat day, like today. Although the sets were manageable, I felt weaker then I’d anticipated. My glutes were quite sore today.

My last heaviest set of 5’s (2 weeks prior) were with 205, so this was 90 % of that. I’ve also utilized a flat foot stance while my strongest is on my toes. My upper body, however, is growing.

Leg less Bench

Leg Drive Bench
Great work! Checkout elitefts.com. They have a great article section that has great info for benching cues and set ups. Actually have great articles that cover pretty much everything lifting wise.

Great work! Checkout elitefts.com. They have a great article section that has great info for benching cues and set ups. Actually have great articles that cover pretty much everything lifting wise.
Love elitefts and thank you!

Sometimes I find my search for answers leads me down a rabbit hole of paralysis by analysis. Bench is my most psychological lift since my pec tear. While I want to hit 225 x 5 x 5 (very modest) I think weight gain will be a big factor here.

I’m planning on doing a meet sometime this year with numbers in mind and the Fed (USPA) allows the heel up bench. However, the feet flat is more universal.

Back
Top Bottom