all posts post new thread

Strong Endurance Strong Endurance plan 025 experience?

With the following format, where would running fit in if the end goal is a long run up a big hill? Off days? Some double days?

1: A+A
2: Heavy Strength
3: off
4: A+A
5: Carry Day (or Snatch Walking, possibly)
6: Step ups
7: off

Thanks

With the following format, where would running fit in if the end goal is a long run up a big hill? Off days? Some double days?

Thanks
I think a short run on the heavy strength day and and a long run substituting for carries would be a good start. (Maybe moving Step Ups to day 3)

For example, like this:

A+A
Strength + Shorter run
Step Ups or Lunge Protocol
off
A+A
Long run
off

(+ additional shorter runs on any other day if recovery and time allow).
--

Personally I do:
2x AXE (LCCJ)
2x locomotion endurance
+ 1 additional day of AXE or endurance if time and recovery allow
+ 2-5x Easy Strength with 1-3 exercises during my warmup for any of the above (mostly just Presses or OAP, Goblet Squats, TGU).

But I am not training for anything specific.

Makes sense, thanks!

With regard to 025, would 2x per week diminish its purpose? Follow the same pattern of low, medium, high but spread out.

From a podcast with Derek, for my purposes, the plan is likely higher volume 025/060 while running volume is lower, moving through 033/044 to AXE as the running volume increases

Last edited:

Thanks
If running is the goal, I would do at least 2 running specific days, preferably 3, but I could see 2 since you also have a step ups day in there. To that end, you have a couple choices, depending on time available:

1. Run on Day 3 and Day 7. The con here is now you have no rest days. You could expand this into an 8 day week and rest on the 8th day, but some folks have a really hard time getting 8 day weeks to work well because ... we live on a 7 day week. \

2. Run on Day 2 and Day 5 after training. This preserves your off days and 7 day week schedule, but now may limit how long of a run you can do, not to mention now also having to deal with being tired at the start of the run and the risk of calling it off that day ... and every day.

3. Use a Novocaine style template where you take your week and just alternate your days with run days, resting when needed/required. In this, the numbers become less "days" and more "sessions." This would look like this:

Session 1: A+A
Session 2: Run
Session 3: Heavy Strength
Session 4: Run
Session 5: A+A
Session 6: Run
Session 7: Carry Day (or Snatch Walking, possibly)
Session 8: Run
Session 9: Step ups

This could take 9 days to get through or a month, depending on how frequently your train. You can also reorder this, or extend the schedule out (making it more than 9 sessions). The big selling point of this is the goal is the goal - running. The big drawback is the infrequent exposure to heavy weights (once every 9 days, or 3 times every 9 days if you count A&A).

How long is this big hill? How many vertical feet? Do you have a goal time?

Thanks that’s great. 33 miles, 6300ft - goal is just to get to the finish line and enjoy a day out
Whoa that’s a serious run! I love it!

I would definitely encourage more not less runs, and it sounds like you’ll need at least one long run day where you can really focus on building the miles.

What kind of current run training and experience do you have?

With regard to 025, would 2x per week diminish its purpose? Follow the same pattern of low, medium, high but spread out.

From a podcast with Derek, for my purposes, the plan is likely higher volume 025/060 while running volume is lower, moving through 033/044 to AXE as the running volume increases
Sounds good to me! Building a more general base and then changing focus.

Pavel has stated that 2x per week is fine, especially with complementary sessions.

Sorry it posted before I was ready.

Also I would use plan 060 to complement training for that type of event. No harm in runs and strength work same day I do the same. I also do strength work the day before the long run as a 'pre-fatigue'. So the long run is more about training for the second half of the event not the first half.

I also do strength work the day before the long run as a 'pre-fatigue'. So the long run is more about training for the second half of the event not the first half
Yep, this is a useful way to go, getting physically and mentally used to running on tired legs. Another way to do this is to do a warmup and something like MTI mini leg blaster or leg blaster for a round or two right before your long run.

Hello,

The weekly long run usually is the most important.

Below is an interview of "Victor" on T. Ferriss' website, where he describes his training for a 100 mile run. Weekly mileage was about 30.

By the way, that's the same "Victor" who wrote this article on SF blog a while ago:

From my uneducated point of view, here is what I have noticed:
- Mostly interval training based training (including A+A) + 1 easy run may be enough to enjoy a 20k for instance
- For longer distance, aerobic base building (which includes a "real" long run at last) and time on ones feet is the way to go

Then, as advocated earlier by @John K , I'd do at least 2 runs, but one being slightly longer.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I’m a beginner, couple of half marathons last year. Training dropped off over the winter, but I’ve got until October to get ready for this so will gradually build the running volume. I’ve got somewhere nearby to practice the elevation but bulk of running will have to be flat ish.

Thanks for all your replies

I’m a beginner, couple of half marathons last year. Training dropped off over the winter, but I’ve got until October to get ready for this so will gradually build the running volume. I’ve got somewhere nearby to practice the elevation but bulk of running will have to be flat ish.

Thanks for all your replies
Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom