all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Suggested programm or book for special forces

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'm sure this is true, but I've never understood exactly why it is true. Does it actually take less energy to power up a hill if the legs are stronger? Or do the muscles just execute the task differently? Or recover better during and after the effort? Is it that there is more muscle fiber available to sustain the effort -- motor units rotation and such? Does it have something to do with fast vs. slow twitch? Interested in anyone's explanation...
To start off, none of the following actually answers these questions but is more or less a train of thought that the questions provoked for me.

I've been interested in things like this comparing animals to humans too. I conceptually think it's like a callus and some muscle is able to work while suffocated. If two different yet physically equal people can both have potentially dramatically different metabolism rates, one of them is doing things without energy. I don't know how many calories a horse eats everyday but I suspect it's lower than what a 1200 pound human would need to eat to sustain the same level of work capacity. Perhaps oxygen becomes the sole fuel and it's more about the oxygen consumption than caloric intake.

Perhaps it's simply efficiency. A small cut heals faster than a large cut. Maybe the body can simply recover faster because the cuts become smaller. Not unlike hospitals and COVID patients, when the rate of patients stays below a certain point, a hospital can take care of everyone that gets sick. However, if it reaches a tipping point, now the hospital has a hard time caring for anyone because they become spread so thin.

I think the mixture of fast and slow twitch plays a pretty large role though. Maybe if humans were more binary and only laid down or sprinted, our legs would develop more fast twitch but all the walking around stores and standing in long lines at checkout really predispose our species to slow twitch legs. It would be an interesting experiment to have a group of speed/power athletes and a group of strength/endurance athletes ruck for a test and compare over time. I think the conversion of muscle fibers happens within a few weeks or months to whatever side of the combination range a person could possibly be.

Thinking about Q&D, being a leopard sounds great but realistically, my human needs are more that of the draft horse than a cat. I mean I try to lay around napping all day but these pesky kids need stuff all the time?.

Hello,

@mprevost
Thanks !

As far as 'gpp' goes or even performing for the actual job (so I do not talk about selection), is there some kind of ratio or range you noticed ?

The reason I ask is because when I am heavier, I tend to perform better no matter the exercise (but i have always been light): carry, pull ups...

For instance we noticed that Crossfit guys are usually 10-15kg heavier than their 'cm' : 1.80m -> 90-95kg

Kind regards,

Pet'
@pet' this is an interesting observation. What percentage do you find this to be so? I am 189/190 cm and 90kg. I am thinking that boosting my weight to 100kg which would take a lot of eating and training it could be possible that my deadlift would get to the level I would like it to be.... thoughts on that ? And how it would affect my pull-ups...

Hello,

I tend to think that the stronger we are in the first place, the more endurance we have regardless it is running or rucking.

This could explain why rucking may carry over running, as it tend to require more strength. However running by itself requires less strength so transfers a little less effectively to rucking.

Maybe we could say that when we get strong with weights, once we get them off (to run in this case) we eventually have to use a lower % of our strength to get the job done.

This is at least what M. Rippetoe says. In a podcast I recently listened he stated that he often has to train guys for various military tests. So he trains them for strength using the 'basics' (bench, OVH, squat, deadlift and pull up). He advises them to run only a few times here and there. I guess this is to get both the 'feeling' and the drill of running. Most of time, Rippetoe's students pass the test.

In another podcast, a guy called Justin Gordon talked about how he physically trained to be SERE instructor. He only did rucking, up to 40 miles a week. He was already good at push ups so he did not trained them that much.

From my modest experienced, since I added pistol to my training regimen, I ruck and trail way better.

@David Smit
As far as pull up goes, usually the lighter you are the better you get because this is a matter of strength to weight ratio (like most of the bodyweight drills). You basically have less weight to move.

My height is 1.83m and weight is 60kg. At my heaviest, I was 65 (mostly bodyweight training at the time). These extra kg did not affect my running/rucking. From what I saw in events (races, etc...) it seems like until 1.85, assuming we are not top athletes of some sort, up to 75 is 'ok' for general purposes. Some guys I know who weigh 75 and are roughly my height run at least as fast as me, but are way stronger.

But everyone is different. For instance, I weigh more or less the same since highschool (I am 30 yo now).

So, my take, which is way less knowledgeable than @Bro Mo , @Anna C and @mprevost is to aim for roughly the 'cm-10'

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm not sure that passing the test is evidence of efficacy. Most people can past the military PT run tests with only 2-3 training runs before the test. The pass standards are very easy. In fact, I can pass the 20-24 year old run standard while holding a 35 lb kettlebell.
Could you discuss a bit more about the lack of carryover between running performance and rucking . I don't understand that. Does the rucking interfere with the running gait pattern and add unwanted mass to distance runners? I know there is a literature on baseball players getting negative neurologically feedback from using weighted bats or pitchers using weighted balls or golfers weighting their swing pattern. However, I would think that loaded rucking like snatches (viking conditioning) were very effective in raising VO2 max and conditioning. I have also read that runners deadlift these days with no eccentric to strengthen to improve heel strike resilience. I am not in the field, just interested in this. I am reading "Endure" by Hutchinson and it is a good read. Maybe in a new thread as the OP has a very specific question in this one.

Any comments on "why" this happens would only be speculation on my part. But keep in mind that this effect depends on the load. For light loads, running does transfer to rucking performance. For heavy loads, it does not. I'm not sure where the crossover point is, but it is probably somewhere around 25-40% of bodyweight.

Hello,

I am not a scientist of some sort, but I'd like to take advantage of this thread to thank @mprevost . It seems the program, for both strength and conditioning / rucking works very well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

I recently came accross again this "old" article:

Assmuming we build aerobic base alongside it, this may be a super poweful routine.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

I recently came accross again this "old" article:

Assmuming we build aerobic base alongside it, this may be a super poweful routine.

Kind regards,

Pet'

This article is basically summarising Al's A+A protocol. There is a really good thread on this protocol by one of his clients over the course of years with HR data for every session. It is a very insightful thread and in my opinion worthy of becoming a sticky.

All of you young fellows have the benefits of books, and the internet, and podcasts, and great places like SF.

Back in the day we just had to figure it out (and make it up) as we went along...

Oh, come on....it's not like you had nothing to help guide you.

After all, you could always read the ancient runes inscribed on the big megaliths back in the days of your youth.

After all, you could always read the ancient runes inscribed on the big megaliths back in the days of your youth.
Yeah... except the runes were freshly chiseled not ancient....
I know because my buddies and I carved them....

Hello,

For those who have instragram, there is a very interesting "thread" (I do not know how we call this) we can find at @buildingtheelite. This is managed by a former SWCC.

He usually favors what we could call the "stress inoculation". To quote him:
"The question shouldn’t be so much “how much discomfort can I tolerate?” as “How much can I do without making it into a big deal?” We want to raise the ceiling of what can be done without suffering, not increase how much you suffer"

In France, there is something among these lines I recently discovered, which is called "CrossOps" (there is an English version available). This was created by a former operator who served as a physical coach for 15 years. It calls for:
- bodyweight only
- simple "drills" that can transfer to any other move or activity
- drills with very fast learning curve
- have to be done daily / almost daily
- progressive increase in intensity (injury prevention while performance improvement)
- kind of "CrossFit" approach

Kind regards,

Pet'

May be heresy, but check out Scott Sonnen's Tacfit Spetsnaz Kettlebell.
Its far from an end all, but there are several movements that you may find very useful.
Also, it allows for a lot of recovery so you can spend that time rucking and working on pull ups, press ups and pistols.

Hello,

For those who have instragram, there is a very interesting "thread" (I do not know how we call this) we can find at @buildingtheelite. This is managed by a former SWCC.

He usually favors what we could call the "stress inoculation". To quote him:
"The question shouldn’t be so much “how much discomfort can I tolerate?” as “How much can I do without making it into a big deal?” We want to raise the ceiling of what can be done without suffering, not increase how much you suffer"

In France, there is something among these lines I recently discovered, which is called "CrossOps" (there is an English version available). This was created by a former operator who served as a physical coach for 15 years. It calls for:
- bodyweight only
- simple "drills" that can transfer to any other move or activity
- drills with very fast learning curve
- have to be done daily / almost daily
- progressive increase in intensity (injury prevention while performance improvement)
- kind of "CrossFit" approach

Kind regards,

Pet'

That is a useful concept: "progressive suffering." I think it applies not just to tactical athletes. For beginners, doing a scheduled workout without whining or "getting motivated" might be a significant step on their path by their standards.

Suffering is definitely a matter of context and perspective when it comes to training and performance activities...
One persons sufferfest is another’s warmup.

My idea of a perfect vacation is probably your worst nightmare
- Jim Bridwell
Suffering is in the mind. One person’s sufferfest, is to another time very well spent having fun.

Literally what I read to prepare me for the first phase of selection in brecon.

Hello,

Recently received a copy of "Building the Elite" from Craig Weller (former NWSCC) and Jonathan Pope. This is an excellent book, full of principles to design the right program. There are a lot of mental tricks in it as well. Indeed, it also seems that this kind of selection is designed to measure "toughness", not only the physical abilities.

If your selection is in the Brecon, I guess you are planing to tackle the SAS ?

This book, written by a former SAS (John Wiseman) is one of the reference: SAS and Special Forces Fitness Training: An Elite Workout Programme for Body and Mind.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

With this post, I want to bring some details about the two books to sort of compare them. As a disclaimer, I will not end up saying that one is better overall. In my opinion, they both have great value and it may be possible to get the best of both of them.

Both books are designed to successfully pass the selection of Special Operations. BTE, even if more inclined toward SEAL is more "general" because it delivers a lot of tools and principles. This makes it more flexible. On the flip side, it makes it harder to use because we have to tailor it to our needs.

On the other hand, SAS is clearly designed for this unit. Of course, the rigors of the training will teach us a lot, so we may be able to then use them for any other selection process.

As such, they are not designed to teach us how to "maintain" physical abilities. That being said, BTE can be used as such due to the tools it provides, even if this is not the main purpose.

1. "Building the Elite", from Craig Weller & Jonathan Pope.

From the website where we can get the book, Building the Elite, here is the link to get the bio of the authors: Coaches - Building the Elite

To sum it up, C. Weller is a former NSWCC and J. Pope is an S&C coach.

This book is then written by two American people. This has some importance in terms of how the training is designed.

The first part is more theory-based. The second part refers to the practical applications.

For both of them, content is very dense. To a certain extent, it is possible to first pick up and read what we are interested in. As there are plenty of references, we can easily go from a chapter to another to get a deeper dive if we want to or need to.

This is a book we have to read several times, to get the most out of it.

The first portion, which is more theory-based, mostly covers what I would call the "training psychology" and provides a lot of tips. This part may be fairly useful as the tools inside obviously apply to training but also to daily life:
- how can we build mental and physical resilience
- how can we deal with uncertainty: he give very easy tricks to "spice" training and daily life
- how can we deal with complex things, which is basically tools for any kind of problem solving
- how can we manage stress, pain and fatigue, and even use them as "fuel". This is based on mental models, perceptions, way of thinking (positive self talks, etc...)

From a more "hard science" standpoint, he mentions the nutrition:
- the notion of metabolic flexibility and gives us strategy about how to use both carbs and fats
- how to work make our body adapted to different diet (and of course to keep performing well)

He also talks about the different energy systems and why we have to work all of them to be well rounded (aerobic, anaerobic, etc...)

As far as the training per se goes:
- He does not deliver a follow-along routine. Indeed, he states that there is not necessarily a programme which will work for everyone because we are all different: the goal may be the same, but the variables to manipulate may be different. For instance, to become an operator, a deskjob guy working indoor 35 hours a week will not have the same programme and mindset than a brick layer working outdoor 50+ hours
- Still, he offers several programming example of successful folks
- He generally favours to first learn a very clean technique (a skill is different from the ability) then he develops a routine around it. This is very progressive.
- Usually, we first have to assess what our limiting factors are, then reduce them (using feedback tools he provides)
- He offers a wide variety of strength methods: EDT, Clusters, PAP, HICT. Considering them, there are a few common points: rest between exercises and sets is reduced to the minimum (so the weights may be lighter than what we are used to with StrongFirst) and volume is significant.
- There is a daily training, even if some days are dedicated to strength (we consider that the cardio will ramp up anyway due to the reduced rest) and some other are purely dedicated to conditioning, whether it is running, rucking, swimming.
- Most of the time, he prefers playing with only one variable: volume. Indeed, when we start to play with both volume and intensity - meaning weight - we can not precisely determine to what factor we are positively or negatively responding.
- In both the programming examples and the tools he provides, several sometimes, several daily session will be necessary. Usually, strength sessions does not last that long. However, rucking and running are necessarily longer (up to 2-3h)
- Even if there are training blokcs (aerobic phase, strength phase, etc...) each day is dedicated to a specific topic so training is very diversified

2. "SAS and Special Forces Fitness Training", from John Lofty Wiseman

This book is written by a former operator, who now provides survival courses and things along these lines.

As I mentioned earlier, this is SAS-oriented. This means he covers all the selection phases and gives very precises tips (such as sock management !) which can litterally make the difference between success and failure considering the kind of training they do.

Comparing to BTE and its way of presenting tools and principles, this book is more "raw". He gives very straight-forward programmes, for both calisthenics and weightlifing. These programmes go from beginners to advanced. All of them are based on a significant volume. Training is performed daily. In the end of the training cycle, it ramps up to 3 training sessions a day, lasting roughly 1h each.

SAS selection is mostly based on endurance, even if obviously, strength is also important. Considering it, there is no research - or at least way less - of max strength / near max strength because this could lead to an increase of bodymass. Eventually, this becomes a drawback considering the events.

Indeed, at the end of the process, people have to do a 60km march, with a little bit more than 30kg (does not include weapon, etc...) in the Beacon Brecon in 20 hours. But this is the last event, there plenty of other of the same kind before, which are daily performed. Basically, from a day to another, rucks are longer with a heavier weight, and also with a faster pace.

This is why, on the WE, the programme calls for long marches which really replicates the selection, including overnight runs / rucks.

He gives some nutrition tips, but way more shortly than BTE. He also provides, based on experience, the height to weight ratio of successful applicants. This is interesting because it sheds light on the fact that too heavy folks are less likely to pass due to lack of stamina / endurance (engine to carry). Too light people can not handle the rucksack on the long marches and do not have enough energy reserves to pass through.

Environnment is also considered in the book. He teaches tips and tricks of temperature management. He also gives details about how to stay dry and warm in the Wales.

A significant part of the selection is also based on navigation skill. This is why he explains how we can navigate using a map.

Mental aspect and "theories" are less developped than in BTE. From my understanding, this is mostly due to the fact that he relies on the physical training we do, to find our own " pyschological tips". They remains the same than in BTE or for any tough selection:
- knowing our "why"
- positive thinking
- being resilient

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

My modest word regarding the previous post:

I think both book are really worth reading.

From a pure "use staindpoint", I tend to think that BTE is more "versatile". Indeed, we can then tailor the programmes and tools in it to create maintenance programme. SAS will give a true peak performance, but it would be barely impossible to maintain it overtime. 3h of daily grueling training, 6 days a week minimum is close to impossible. On the long run, it could lead to injury.

SAS shows us that the stapple of military training remains endurance and strength endurance. Basically, a rucksack and our bodyweight may be enough. I am not saying that an Herschel Walker-like training + rucking / swimming would get the job done, but it could give a raw baseline.

From a cultural standpoint, there is still less focus on weight training in European military training. After reading plenty of other articles, and also some talking, it appears that bodyweight training + rucking / swimming + a few weightlifting (to get the "feeling of lifting") can be some kind of combination between strength, endurance and injury prevention.

As such, if we throw some StrongFirst into the mix, it could give, on a daily basis:
- Main push: HSPU - Accessory push: OAP
- Pull: pull up
- Core: Hanging Leg Raises
- Legs: Either high reps swings or lower reps pistols

I would favour HSPU over other push because vertical push transfer better to horizontal than the other way around. OAP are a great addition on GTG because they will naturally built more than enough strength endurance, without creating mass. Same goes for OAP but it is easy to hit some reps on GTG. Plus it also create the horizontal push motor pattern.

As far the core goes, same rule apply. An harder variation is likely to make the sit ups easier while taking less practice time.

Pull ups are a "given".

Legs are supposed to be already pretty beaten up with running and rucking. This is why I'd put less focus on them. I ruck a lot and heavy (up to 50kg). I weigh about 62kg and since I do a lot of pistols and HLR, my rucking went through the roof. High rep swings (a la S&S or RoP) can give a great posterior chain / hinge work.

A friend of mine, now a Commando Marine followed this very simple routine, on a daily basis
In the morning: 3 to 5 sets of close to max pull ups with very low rest in between. Same goes for push ups. Regarding the core, he did leg raises "until it burns". He also did a lot of sprinting. This was the stapple
In the evening: boxing (2-3x a week) and running or rucking (depending on the feeling).Evening training was highly dependent of his professional schedule.
He also added GTG with push ups and pistols during the day, and pull ups in the evening (when not boxing).

I hope this may help to provide some information and context.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

On Instagram, today was published the weekly routine of a former French Commando Marine instructor. I translate:
Session 1:
Cycling or running (20km), 150 pull ups, 10 rope climb (arm only), 500 reps of a core exercise

Session 2:
450 press ups, 150 dips, 150 squats with body armour, 500 reps of a core exercise

Session 3:
150 box jumps, 150 squats with body armour, 150 pull ups, 500 reps of a core exercise

Session 4:
450 press ups, 150 dips, 5x 1 minute of wall sit with body armour, 500 reps of a core exercise

Session 5:
Cycling or running (10km), 150 pull ups, 10 rope climb (arm only), 500 reps of a core exercise

This is not a selection routine, but his current practice. It still would fit nicely because there is a decent amount of endurance and strength-endurance. One would add some ruck marches to get use to the feeling.

A few notes:
- Fairly high repetitions with low rest between sets (30s max) to make the heart pumping.
- He favours bodyweight only to be 'tonic' (his word) (controlled eccentric but crisp concentric) and be sure not getting 'slower' and prevent joint damages.
- In his opinion, bodyweight is more "rustic" (can be done litterally anywhere, anytime) and is easily scalable

As far as the connection of mind and body goes:
- He states that now he gets older, he dedicates time to mediate and stretch for 30 minutes, daily
- He works on "mental toughness" by taking cold shower all year long
- He enjoys sleeping in the Nature to get mental recovery
- He stays mentally and physically sharp by keeping everything as simple as he can
- He manages stress by planning as much as he can
- He builds resilience by being "rustic"

Most of the time, what he saw was that the successful folks are the most motivated (internaly motivated) and resilient, not necessarily the fittest.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom