all posts post new thread

Kettlebell TGU timing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Never put a clock on your getups. Aim for 30-35 seconds on each rep. Move the bell to the other side, take a few deep breaths, go. Are you taking too much time in between reps?

It should not take you 10 minutes to do 10 reps. If it does, in my opinion you're going too heavy.

I also agree with pet, try to do a rep or two on each side with a lighter bell. That is real time under tension.

Hello,

It is always better to focus on intensity (tension) and quality (even if you do not reach a standard...which is only a number). Always looking for your 'one best rep'.

Kind regards,

Pet'

cutting time between reps, not cutting the amount of time it takes to perform a rep, is how you get the time down into the 7-8minute range without rushing the movement
Me too. I feel the rest comes within the movement. TGUs are like multitasking between relax and tension just like the swing for me.
my TGUs have always progressed faster than my swings, so i don't feel there is a detrimental effect to the TGU by doing the swing first
My TGU progresses faster than swings also because of my grip strength. I can explode a pretty heavy bell, just can't hold onto it. Of course it doesn't help having these tiny carnie hands.

I think the reason Pavel allows 10 min for get-ups in the S&S time standard is that it's plenty of time, no rushing, if the bell size is right. Sometimes I need more than 10 min if it is a challenging weight.

I do vary the time for my get-ups; probably average 30-35 seconds, but sometimes faster, sometimes slower.

Worth thinking about though -- for someone who knocks out 10 get-ups in just a few minutes -- are they really getting the same challenge (and therefore the same training, the same stimulation) as someone who spends much more time under tension to do the 10 get-ups? I think there must be a difference. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the time under tension matters more than the reps; for example, 10 getups at 30 sec each (30 sec x 10 = 5 min time under tension) is more "exercise" than, say 14 getups at 18 sec each (18 sec x 14 = 4.2 min time under tension). Just my opinion....

As for rest between each, I like to practice relaxation; at least 3 good full breaths letting go of all tension before going again. Otherwise it seems like an ever-increasing amount of tension in the body until the end of the set. Relaxation is a skill, too... like yoga Savasana, the "most difficult" pose...

Hello,

I think they progressed faster because you do like that. But it is not a 5 sets of 1, but 1 set of 5. How is your rest between two reps ? And between the 2 sides ?

I prefer alternate because while I do one side, the other can rest. I find this option safer.

Once again, everyone can adapt to one's own preferences.

Kind regards,

Pet'
i must not have been clear - i alternate sides - 1L, 1R - i just do not pause between reps more than the time it takes to switch sides. i have done month long "get-up challenges", where all i did for the entire month was TGU's and during those periods i played with different rep schemes, sometimes 3, 4 or 5 on one side before switching to the other - but i try not to do that too often as Pavel has advised against successive reps per side in TGUs as it turns into too much time under tension and becomes potentially detrimental.

Hello,

It is always better to focus on intensity (tension) and quality (even if you do not reach a standard...which is only a number). Always looking for your 'one best rep'.

Kind regards,

Pet'
quality is always of paramount importance - strength is a skill and without an un-wavering focus on technique you will limit your ability to improve. moving forward under poor technique will lead to injury.

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast": I believe that old maxim applies to the get-up. It seems to me that performing the movement at the pace necessary to meet the time standards is more of a demonstration of the strength and stability built during slower, more deliberate repetitions.

Hello,

@Anna C
Thanks for the video ! I put it in my bookmarks. Always good to have a technical reminder !

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Anna C thanks for the video - you are always great with reference material - there is one thing which i would add to the video, which Pavel talks about in ETK, page 67, "Lean into the kettlebell on the top for extra stretch." This is a subtle, but extremely effective point, which helps create strength and stability in the shoulder girdle - i highly recommend adding this as part of each and every rep, it also adds to your confidence in the movement, as it promotes a strong brace with the bell overhead.

Sharing a good get-up coaching video posted this week by SFG II Coach Vaughn:

Saw this too, great stuff. I started pressing the bottom of my fist into the ground at the start like he suggests here; it has made my starts much stronger!

That is a really good vid. Focused on keeping my shoulders away from ears while in the tall sit today. Felt very awkward, so I was probably slouching. Dropped a bell size and sat in the tall sit position for a good 10 second pause. I could really feel the lat engage.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom