all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The 5 Week, Whole Body Single Kettlebell Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I just started this program today after taking the last couple of months off to hunt elk in Colorado. This program appears to be a perfect fit to jump back into training and seems like it will be great training for my indoor archery season. Shoulders, triceps, lower traps, and rhomboids are the main muscle groups used in archery, I'm excited to see how this program helps my shooting.

Hello guys!

Thank you for posting this routine, and extremly-huge-high thanks for Jeffro for uploading a printer-firendly table of the detailed routine.

I was searching for this kind of routine since months. I have one 20 kg kettlebell, now I have a pull-up/dip station. I modified the original plan a little bit:

For swings: I do one handed variations (7-7 per side).
I changed the pull-up for chin-up.

I am pretty satisfied with this program, even with the modifications.

Does anyboday has a similar routine recommendations?

Thank you, in advance!

For those that don't have access to a pull-up bar, what would you recommend as a substitute exercise for the pull-ups?

For those that don't have access to a pull-up bar, what would you recommend as a substitute exercise for the pull-ups?
Open a door, grab onto the top of it, and do door pull-ups! :)

Hi, this is my first post on Strong First. I recently bought my first kettlebells, 2no 16kg and 2no 24kg. I found this programme and I think I'm going to use this as my first on my journey to building strength and lean muscle.

Can someone confirm if this is a good start?

I want to get as strong as possible and build lean muscle mass. I'm committed to long term but I'm quite small so would like to see decent returns from this programme.

@Gary Logue, welcome aboard.

This is a fine program and you certainly can start with it.

Our most popular program is Kettlebell Simple and Sinister.

-S-

Funny to see an older post brought back up. I "experimented" of sorts with the press and pull up day and was slightly humbled. I don't recall the press weight recommendation but even a lighter bell for me rocked me a bit after the first ladder doing the 5 4 3 2 1.

Has anyone run through this program with any success? It does seem to have some excellent possibilities.

I ran recently and enjoyed the simplicity (4 exercises) shorter program (5 weeks).

That being said I did mod slightly:

Ran first week twice

Did the MP and Chin Up in alternating sets, rest as needed in between max 45 sec but mostly 30 sec or less, 2min break between ladders.
Increased weight on lower rep MP Sets (<=3)
Weighted lower rep Chin ups (<=3) (started with doing all weighted, but decided change to lower rep sets only)

Did DB Front squats instead of goblet squats. Began the program doing 1 handed swings but decided to switch to 2 handed swings once my gym got larger bells.

Didn't do test as per article. And may have done the last week twice or at least stretched out in leiu of testing.

Takeaways: excellent program, look forward to running again. I would do as I did previously but would likely do two days of 1 hand swings and one day of 2 hand swings. I'd make the pressing and pull-ups or chin-ups the priority and adjust swing weight and type as well as squats based upon recovery from the pressing and pull-up days. The peak volume week definitely takes it's toll, or at least it did on me.

Looks like a really great program. I would have to add squats in for the Swing days. Keep the EMOM but however many swings that's how many Goblet squats you perform as well. I need more leg work.
I was also wondering if you could swap out swings for Snatches and change the sets for the swings to an even number that way you do the same amount each arm. This would give you more of an ETK type of workout.

Last edited:
My city is quarantined and I'm stuck with a single 24kg KB and a pull up bar. I found the routine I'll be doing. Thank you for posting this.

With that said, I've never been so happy to have a single kettlebell in my life.

I "experimented" with the press and pullup ladders and although I used a kbell that I thought was "really light" it proved slightly tough. I could see someone making excellent gains on this if run full cycle

Tomorrow I’ll be wrapping up first week!

The program caught me by surprise as I thought the (press/pull-up) Sessions would be a breeze with enough rest.I even dropped to a bell -4kg under what I thought I would be using.

I saw this program by Pavel in "Muscle and Fitness" online and it caught my interest. Wondered if anyone else has seen or tried it. Looks simple enough but as has been said, simple doesn't mean easy (believe that's a Rif quote).
It's another excellent reminder for us that there is not just one programme to follow here.

Hi all, first post here.

Starting this program next week, looking forward to it! Using a 40kg for the squats and swings, and a 16kg for the presses and pull-ups.

Have added a progression onto the 5th week as I won't test anything.

Thanks for putting this up.

Yeah, I'm having a rest week now, and have tried one of the ladders to see what my might weight for presses and pull-ups would be. My max press is maybe 24kg for 7 reps, managed a few times to do 3 at 28kg (both single). Pull-ups can do a few at 32kg, but think I'll be starting them both at 16kg! Did a ladder of them today and it felt hard, and then have to get pull-ups as well.

Just did my first session of this program today.

I have cut my warm-up down after reading a thread on here. Now I do 3 mins skipping, 3 rounds of a short mobility complex, then 3 rounds of 5 x Halos, 5 x prying squats, 5 x bridges, then rest 3 minutes then the workout.

Today it was:

3 x 5 goblet squats, 60 sec rest between sets.
10 x 7 swings, EMOM.

All with a 40kg KB. It felt good, and pretty steady. I had a week off last week, and have been looking forward to starting this program. The challenge will be doing 6 days a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom