all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed The Enhanced Games -- No Testing Olympics Competitor Announced

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I feel that if they really wanted to make sports clean of PEDs, that should be standard procedure. I think in general, the rules regarding PEDs are too mild: if you ask me, the way things are now, the potential benefits of juicing outweigh the drawbacks of being caught, because normally, people just face a 1-2 year lay-off outside of the testing pool. If I were responsible, I would
1. ban athletes for life
2. strip them of ALL titles they ever won (because you never know when they started)
3. make them pay back ALL sponsorship deals they ever got to the people they beat
That would be a start, although it would never fully reimburse the people who lost to them (assuming they were in fact clean, which is another issue). Nobody does any of that, so I would argue there is an implicit agreement to keep things the way they are.
Something we have to consider is that the governing bodies have to be 100% sure the testing is done correctly and the results are valid. Which unfortunately hasn’t always been the case.
I work in a certified lab for testing electrical products. Years ago in a training course there was a case highlighted concerning a drugs test. The results were positive and I believe it was a female swimmer. She was banned from her sports, lost medals etc.
She denied taking anything she shouldn’t have and it took years to clear her name.
After investigation they found that her urine sample after arriving in the lab had been left on a window ledge in bright sunlight, this had caused a chemical reaction which gave incorrect results.
Products sample handling procedures it turns out are very important.

The one thing to bear in mind though is the more technical a sport is (both in terms of equipment and the movement), the more developement there can be; plus, the developement is more pronounced the younger a sport is, since it takes time for things to establish themselves.
If we look at the 100 m, the world record dropped from 11,00 in 1867 to 1.0 in 1960 and the current 9.58. On the other hand, spear throw world record went from 62.32m in 1912 to 104.80m in 1984 (then dropped again to 85.74 in 1986 due to rule changes, and now is back up at 98.48).

Certainly. In the case of the raw bench press, I wouldn't put that much stock into the development of the tools of the sport. I doubt the barbell in use has seen such a development as the javelin or the tartan. The popularity of the sport is a whole another case. It does make one wonder how long we'll have to wait until the prospect of developing world records start to diminish.

I opened up openpowerlifting and put up men by raw bench. In the top ten, the oldest result is from 1997, the rest within 11 years or so. In the next 40 results, I think there were three from last century.

Just looking at the top lift, the SHWs, the improvement from 1997 to 2021 was over 10%. Certainly that is a massive improvement, if we compare it to any other sport, like from track and field.
Could you link that? I got to go to work right now and I find it hard to filter what I want at that site. A quick glance and I see Ted Arcidi at the top of some weight class w. 650 and that's pretty old and I know he did 700+ more than once.

I opened up openpowerlifting and put up men by raw bench. In the top ten, the oldest result is from 1997, the rest within 11 years or so. In the next 40 results, I think there were three from last century.

Just looking at the top lift, the SHWs, the improvement from 1997 to 2021 was over 10%. Certainly that is a massive improvement, if we compare it to any other sport, like from track and field.
I filtered it on tested and raw.

Making me feel like I’m going crazy over here…

IMG_0336.jpeg

Last edited:
I wouldn't put that much stock into the development of the tools of the sport. I doubt the barbell in use has seen such a development as the javelin or the tartan.
You can see some of this in the deadlift record progression. I don't think there has been much if any barbell changes in the other lifts.

You can see some of this in the deadlift record progression. I don't think there has been much if any barbell changes in the other lifts.

I'd say there it makes sense to compare different powerlifting federations. IPF still uses the stiff bar. How has the IPF deadlift developed compared to others?

The regime for testing and punishing PED usage creates an additional set of rules for athletes no different at heart to, say, staying in your lane or waiting for the starter pistol. It’s another way of levelling the playing field and doesn’t have to be perfect in terms of eliminating all PED usage to achieve that goal. We know that (some) athletes still use PEDs but they can’t use them blatantly and the benefits are marginalised by the priority of avoiding detection.

Last edited:
@Boris Bachmann, from the movie Airplane? "I guess I picked the wrong week to ..."

I'm usually a little more concerned about my blood pressure shooting up to 180....

This is the whole idea of perfusion, to briefly raise your blood pressure. (See recent post by me about old article on this, and recent newsletter by Pavel on this as well.)

-S-

I'd say there it makes sense to compare different powerlifting federations. IPF still uses the stiff bar. How has the IPF deadlift developed compared to others?
I don't know enough about the IPF, but do their affiliates count as well? Powerlifting Records

Looks like its been around 920 for 12 years. If just strictly IPF its 903 and some change. Which Mark Henry also did with a similar bar and drug rules back in the 90's.

Also this video might be a bit relevant to the conversation when it comes to deadlifts. (I was a bit peeved that he left Bolton out, but then he showed up in the comments with some insights. Apparently he wasn't happy with how his 1003 was judged so came back with a better 1008.)

Well, maybe we just view the same information a little differently. #5 is Scot Mendelson (2005, almost 20 years ago) and #6 is James Henderson (1997, almost 30 years ago). Only 6 people have benched 710+ ever. The number one spot is crazy at 782, but I think we can just call that a crazy mutant among mutants. The fact that Big Jim Williams from 1972 is still #11 demonstrates how static the records are (imho).

The regime for testing and punishing PED usage creates an additional set of rules for athletes no different at heart to, say, staying in your lane or waiting for the starter pistol. It’s another way of levelling the playing field and doesn’t have to be perfect in terms of eliminating all PED usage to achieve that goal. We know that (some) athletes still use PEDs but they can’t use them blatantly and the benefits are marginalised by the priority of avoiding detection.

Prediction, if the Enhanced Games last more than a year or two before fizzling out:

Someone will eventually die in competition from causes linked to PEDs.

I don't know enough about the IPF, but do their affiliates count as well? Powerlifting Records

Looks like its been around 920 for 12 years. If just strictly IPF its 903 and some change. Which Mark Henry also did with a similar bar and drug rules back in the 90's.

Also this video might be a bit relevant to the conversation when it comes to deadlifts. (I was a bit peeved that he left Bolton out, but then he showed up in the comments with some insights. Apparently he wasn't happy with how his 1003 was judged so came back with a better 1008.)

When it comes to the IPF and just the WRs we have their own page as well: GOODLIFT | Records

Koklayev doesn't show there, I suppose WRs only count if done in international competitions and his openpowerlifting deadlift wasn't.

I'm out of touch on other feds so I don’t know how they compare. I do know I don't get the noodle bar.

Prediction, if the Enhanced Games last more than a year or two before fizzling out:

The insurance industry controls the world. If the organisers can’t get insurance against those kinds of actions the event won’t continue. Mind you I don’t think a competition that simply doesn’t drug test is uninsurable but a competition that could be said to promote and reward drug use at an extreme level might struggle, certainly after the first ‘incident’. I’ve heard it said the games are to be held in America, the litigation capital of the universe. They might want to reconsider that for starters

Last edited:
It will be interesting, to see if that happens with more "active" sports.

But so far it hasn't really been a problem in the other untested sports that are pretty heavy in PEDs like Mr Olympia, WRPF powerlifting, and Worlds Strongest Man.

Really the problem would come up when athletes from areas that make PEDs illegal openly admit to breaking the law instead of skirting around it with a wink and a "PEDs? Never heard of em!" PR statement.

It will be interesting, to see if that happens with more "active" sports.

But so far it hasn't really been a problem in the other untested sports that are pretty heavy in PEDs like Mr Olympia, WRPF powerlifting, and Worlds Strongest Man.

Really the problem would come up when athletes from areas that make PEDs illegal openly admit to breaking the law instead of skirting around it with a wink and a "PEDs? Never heard of em!" PR statement.

I'm thinking more about a sprinter who dies on some kind of meth / cocaine / horse stimulant cocktail.

It would be interesting and a little awkward if the records in the doped olympics are only marginally improved from the normal tested Olympics. Like, if the snatch for example was only 2.5kg difference.

It would be interesting and a little awkward if the records in the doped olympics are only marginally improved from the normal tested Olympics. Like, if the snatch for example was only 2.5kg difference.
I think this is a likely outcome. As previously mentioned, I can't imagine many current Olympic caliber athletes will want to risk eligibility in the established sporting bodies to get on board with this.

Back
Top Bottom