all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed The Liver King Steroid 'Controversy'

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
"How did I end up famous?"

Liver King at Buckingham Palace.

You know, just looking like a normal tourist.

ad278-16634040741572-1920.jpg

Ironically the youtuber who broke the story has a business selling trt.

I thought Derek "Plates More Dates" guy broke it?

He's not an MD (to my knowledge), so how can he sell TRT?

I thought he was in the turkesterone biz.

Last edited:
I thought Derek "Plates More Dates" guy broke it?

He's not an MD (to my knowledge), so how can he sell TRT?

I thought he was in the turkesterone biz.
You don’t need to be an md to sell it. You hire one to prescribe it.

Liver King's physique is kind of curious to me, because I'm not sure what he's going for:

--From a bodybuilding / physique competitor perspective, he's not a contender. He's neither large enough to be a mass monster, nor balanced enough for classic physique. And his waist is way too blocky.

--Powerlifting might be a little closer, but his legs seem pretty underwhelming relative to his upper body. Larry Wheeler looks way better.

--Weightlifting, is a hard no. I'd be surprised if he could rack a clean with those giant biceps. Pecs are over-developed, but his butt and legs look under-developed for a weightlifter. Spinal erectors too small.

--Crossfit: pecs too big. There is no bench press in Crossfit.

So for all his ancestral tenets, I'm going to say on the "functional fitness" spectrum, his physique doesn't seem to fit any modern sport, and definitely not what ancestral hunter gatherers would have looked like.

Last edited:
So for all his ancestral tenets, I'm going to say on the "functional fitness" spectrum, his physique doesn't seem to fit any modern sport, and definitely not what ancestral hunter gatherers would have looked like.
Well if those hunter gatherers lived on a game farm and never had to go more than 100 yards to hunt their livestock game and were able to spend all day leisurely wasting energy working out… maybe they might come a bit closer to that physique.

But then again hunter gatherers do tend to eat a healthy amount of plants too…

Side note, did you know that when the Inuit tribes started adopting a SAD diet, their life expectancy jumped by like 20 years?

Well if those hunter gatherers lived on a game farm and never had to go more than 100 yards to hunt their livestock game and were able to spend all day leisurely wasting energy working out… maybe they might come a bit closer to that physique.

Side note, did you know that when the Inuit tribes started adopting a SAD diet, their life expectancy jumped by like 20 years?
Got any source on this? Seems interesting. I can't imagine hamburgers and microwave meals are better than wildcaught fish / caribou or whatnot.

I did not know that.

But how did they isolate the diet from factors like getting better medical care?

Got any source on this? Seems interesting. I can't imagine hamburgers and microwave meals are better than wildcaught fish / caribou or whatnot.

Probably depends where they lived.

If they're up in the frozen areas, I can imagine a lot of things better than whale blubber and seal meat 24x7.

I did not know that.

But how did they isolate the diet from factors like getting better medical care?
They didn't, it was an anthropological report. I'm more poking fun at one of the justifications for that diet putting up an example of a group of people that rarely lived past 45 as an example of how good the diet is for health.

It looks like it is behind a paywall again, but I found an article "summarizing" it with the traditional HuffPo slant. New Study Explodes the 'Eskimo Myth'

Liver King's physique is kind of curious to me, because I'm not sure what he's going for:

--From a bodybuilding / physique competitor perspective, he's not a contender. He's neither large enough to be a mass monster, nor balanced enough for classic physique. And his waist is way too blocky.

--Powerlifting might be a little closer, but his legs seem pretty underwhelming relative to his upper body. Larry Wheeler looks way better.

--Weightlifting, is a hard no. I'd be surprised if he could rack a clean with those giant biceps. Pecs are over-developed, but his butt and legs look under-developed for a weightlifter. Spinal erectors too small.

He looks like he could wrestle dinosaurs to me

I personally liked it when heart and liver were cheap because nobody wanted them.

Sometimes I fear what would happen if a health guru discovered how delicious Squirrel Pasties are and decided that eating like an ancestral miner was the healthiest way to eat.
That’s what happened to lamb, it used to be dirt cheap and then suddenly it became more popular with paleo and other diets due to being grass fed and ruminant. Now you’re paying more than beef prices for lamb.

Every box I have been a part of would bench at least once a week. I would argue that there is zero way his body shape could Kip for pull-ups and toes to bar tho lol.

That’s what happened to lamb, it used to be dirt cheap and then suddenly it became more popular with paleo and other diets due to being grass fed and ruminant. Now you’re paying more than beef prices for lamb.

Every box I have been a part of would bench at least once a week. I would argue that there is zero way his body shape could Kip for pull-ups and toes to bar tho lol.

Interesting.

My barbell club shares space with Crossfit classes and I've never even seen a bench, but maybe it's hidden in the back somewhere so the weightlifters don't sit on it for rest. ;)

Is the bench a contested lift in the Games?

Last edited:
Y'know sheep used to be THE meat in the US. There was an outbreak of scrapie (a prion disease, similar to Mad Cow) and most of the sheep herds were destroyed. This created a "opening" for cows to become dominant, as cows and sheep largely use the same pasture land. Sheep never really made a comeback in the US.
Anybody can out-wrestle T-rex.

He has barely has arms.

View attachment 19915
I always buy my firearms from a guy named Trex. He's a small arms dealer.

Interesting.

My barbell club shares space with Crossfit classes and I've never even seen a bench, but maybe it's hidden in the back somewhere so the weightlifters sit on it for rest. ;)

Is the bench a contested lift in the Games?
I think they do it more for morale, bench day is always the most attended day. They typically program it with stuff that people usually skip, like running or prowler pushes.

Linda has been in the games and qualifiers I think. (Bench, deadlift and clean wod)
Y'know sheep used to be THE meat in the US. There was an outbreak of scrapie (a prion disease, similar to Mad Cow) and most of the sheep herds were destroyed. This created a "opening" for cows to become dominant, as cows and sheep largely use the same pasture land. Sheep never really made a comeback in the US.
My family homesteaded and still run cattle, they absolutely detest sheep herders. There aren’t many left, at least in that part of the world, but they still talk about it like a vendetta that must be passed down.

Personally I love lamb but I never let them know lol.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom