all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Red Zone (Pavel, T. Program)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Inky Is on to something with the chain idea:

Block 1: MP 5x5 (work up to it as mentioned in the article: e.g. 3x5,1x4,2x3)
Block 2: Swing 5x10/arm
Block 3: Clean-Press-Squat chain 5x5 (clean-press-squat = 1 rep x 5 = 1 set)

Just my 2 cents....this program is very minimalist in nature which is why I like kettlebells. Yes, a heavy barbell program will most likely make you bigger.....but using kettlebells as an example....just because double kettlebells yield more muscle gains does NOT mean that a single bell program won't give muscle gains. Every time I ran the ROP I put sone muscle on in the shoulders and upper back. A "simple" program like this would keep a soldier/LEO/fireman/medic/everyday dude strong and fit with muscles where needed.

@Inky Is on to something with the chain idea:

Block 1: MP 5x5 (work up to it as mentioned in the article: e.g. 3x5,1x4,2x3)
Block 2: Swing 5x10/arm
Block 3: Clean-Press-Squat chain 5x5 (clean-press-squat = 1 rep x 5 = 1 set)

I would advise not to making a program better even before trying it. Treat a program for what it is. In the gist of minimalistic kb training I would recommend The Plan, also from StrongFirst.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

+1 @Stefan Olsson
If the squat pattern is important in terms of mobility / balance / some kind of strength, pistol squat on a GTG fashion may be a good add-on to get things more "balanced" without being taxed. But this will not help to beef up.

If we look for strength using the squat, then maybe on alternate day (but being sure the volume is not that high, aiming for some kind of daily dose).

When I ran RoP, I did not want to squat a lot actually hehe

Kind regards,

Pet'

With compressed rest periods, roughly how long would a training session be? Still around 20-30min?

Hello,

whitch RM bell did you choose? Your 5-8 RM?
I used my 5RM.

The real great thing is the flexibility:
You can go for ladders, a strict 5 x 5, etc.. no matter as long as you can reduce the rest and getting the volume.

Ladder will give you natural rest and kind of "intensity peaks". Doubles will give you something more "paced" and aerobic.

Kind regards,

Pet'

What's cool about this is it's basically the Faleev 5x5 progression (5,5,x,x,x --> 5,5,5,5,5), done twice in a session (6x/week), with an S&S-style swing "breather" in the middle. In many ways it's both a precursor to and an evolution of RoP.

What's cool about this is it's basically the Faleev 5x5 progression (5,5,x,x,x --> 5,5,5,5,5), done twice in a session (6x/week), with an S&S-style swing "breather" in the middle. In many ways it's both a precursor to and an evolution of RoP.

six days per week? Thought the article said three times?

Edit: nevermind, I understand what you ment now! (y)

Did a session today. Used my 8RM bell for presses and 24 for swings. All in all it took 35 minutes. Great session.

Hello,

Yes I also used the 24 for the presses, but 32 for the swings though.

Like you, it was a great session !

Kind regards,

Pet'

How I'd attack this problem would be to do a 3x5 Goblet Squats and maybe a getup or two per arm as a short/simple warmup.

This is great Idea!
My favorite warm up routine/move prep with kettlebell is - Goblet Squat, Pull Over, Get Up (normal, SOS, low or high bridge, partial, gladiator etc. - random act of variety :) ) Also siting in "poor man chair" aka deep body weight squat, during the day helps :)

Two questions
1. In regards to the minimal rest periods. Would you do five left then five right. Left rests while right presses etc?
2. How would you cycle this and s&s? Every four weeks or eight?

Two questions
1. In regards to the minimal rest periods. Would you do five left then five right. Left rests while right presses etc?
2. How would you cycle this and s&s? Every four weeks or eight?

I believe @pet' alternate this and S&S. Doing ladders up to the prescribed reps with his 5Rm.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom