all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed The Role of Grip Training for Lifters

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Adam R Mundorf

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello Everybody,

So, I'm currently following the Rite of Passage from Enter the Kettlebell and I want to add in some direct grip work. I am considering purchasing some captains of crush grippers and/or some fat gripz for chin ups.

Questions
  1. How do I train grip so that it won't detract from my lifts? I was thinking grease the groove for the grippers.
  2. Recommendations for Captains of Crush gripper number/poundage?
  3. I understand that lifting already works your grip plenty. Is there good reason to add additional grip work?
Thank you, Adam Mundorf

@Adam Mundorf, let's tackle your last question first - is there good reason to add additional grip work? For most people, I don't think so. If you have kettlebell ballistics and/or barbell deadlifts in your program, I think you're covered. Things like C of C grippers are fun, and I don't mean to suggest you shouldn't try them, but don't expect them to provide much help with holding onto a heavier kettlebell or barbell.

Your second question: A classic start is to buy a Trainer, a #1, and a #2 in C of C grippers. Those will keep most people entertained for a while as few people can close the #2 without training.

Your first question - do your lifting, then do your grip work. GTG is fine but it's easy to overtrain on grippers so be careful.

-S-

@Adam Mundorf
+1 to what @Steve Freides said.
If a person has a need for android grip strength then yes additional grip training would be warranted. But most people probably get enough by the work they are already doing. (KB ballistic's Deadliftts as Steve mentioned) Martial artists, OC Racers, and climbers are folks that might require a bit extra.
Grip as you are no doubt already aware goes way beyond the crushing type grip that gets trained by Grippers. I use Grippers but only as a single component of overall grip strength. There are many other tools and modalities to consider when the need exists. Pinch strength, Crimp strength, Open hand strength, and wrist strength are all aspects that require training for true grip enthusiasts.

Comes back to having the training being aligned with ones goals...

There are many other tools and modalities to consider when the need exists. Pinch strength, Crimp strength, Open hand strength, and wrist strength are all aspects that require training for true grip enthusiasts.

Do you know where (books, articles, websites) I could find more info about this kinds of grip and how to train them?

@Adam R Mundorf
I agree that supplemental grip work is unnecessary for most people doing strength training that already involves the grip, and that it can even be counterproductive.

As @offwidth points out, there are a lot of different types of grip strength and modalities to train them, and grip strength tends to be very specific (meaning not much carry over from one kind of grip/training to other activities). This can be a reason to do specific grip training or a reason not to do it. If you have a need for a specific type or level of grip strength that your other training doesn't provide, or you want to pursue grip strength as its own discipline, then do it. Otherwise, you probably don't need to bother. As @Steve Freides mentioned, training with something like COC grippers will probably not have much or any carryover to gripping a KB.

Do you know where (books, articles, websites) I could find more info about this kinds of grip and how to train them?
John Brookfield - Mastery of Hand Strength
gripboard.com
ironmind.com, the makers of the COC grippers (and a plethora of other grip training equipment) and publisher of Mastery of Hand Strength, also has a lot of good basic grip training information.

Thank you everyone for the responses. I never realized that grip training was so specific.

If I just want really robust forearms and grip strength, I'm assuming the question is for what? And the answer would be to lift heavier weights?

I have performed active bar hangs both 1 armed and 2 armed. I'm assuming these would have carry over to help with chin ups.
But towel hanging for example would probably help someone in martial arts who needs to grab on to a gi for a throw.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom