all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
July 8

1.8 mile run

4 weeks to Flexible Steel
2 x 16kg Good Mornings
2 x Lunge Stretch
2 x Arm Bar with 12kg kettlebell
2 x Pullover with 12 kg kettlebell

T-Spine Mobility work, 2 sets

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 16 kg

Simple workout today, got a good run in, then stretched before I slung kettlebells around for a while. All around good workout.

July 9

2.4 mile walk

4 weeks to Flexible Steel
2 x 16kg Good Mornings
2 x Lunge Stretch

I woke up feeling unusually stiff this morning. In looking at my spreadsheet, I have been grinding pretty regularly since I switched to OHS back in April. I believe I am in need of a week of rest. I will walk, jog, and do a lot of stretching this week, and rest.

In reading my log, I realized that I have worked out 53 days in the last 84, or an average of 4.4 days a week for 12 weeks. Pretty good, not great, but pretty good numbers. So, a deload week with running and stretching, and back at it on Sunday.

Have a strong week!

July 12

Three days of light stretching and walking/running are really feeling unusual. I am used to going downstairs and getting a good sweat on at night. Instead, I have been stretching in the mornings, and walking at night, with some light stretching again afterwards.

I will be going back to the 4 weeks to Flexible Steel program, so tonight I will get my arm bars in with my 12 kg kettlebell. This light stretching isn't enough, at least I don't feel like it is, so, back to the program that works.

July 15

1.7 mile run/walk

2 x 16 kg Good Mornings
2 x Lunge Stretch

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 16 kg, prying & curls at the bottom

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 16 kg

All around great session. It felt great to workout again. The time off was enjoyable, but I am happy to be back chasing after Simple.

July 16

2.4 mile walk

2 x 16 kg Good Mornings
2 x Lunge Stretch
2 x Arm Bar with 12 kg kettlebell

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 16 kg

I did the run & stretching this morning, and the kettlebell workout in the evening.

July 17

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20

Wow, what a great session I had tonight. After some reading and listening to more knowledgeable people, I decided to make a couple of changes in my routine tonight.

I tried the EMOM on my swings, and.......holy crap, 100 swings in 4:47..... I was sweating and breathing hard, but I did it. Time for the 20 kg for swings.

Well, I did the swings with the 16 kg, & I said I'd move up to the 20 kg since I had met the time standard with the 16 kg before. I did all 5 sets in 8:10, without using this bell in a couple of weeks. This shocked me, I was struggling in some sets a couple of weeks ago with this same kettlebell, & tonight I meet the time standard with it.

So, I guess tomorrow's session will see me swinging the 20 kg and I will attempt my first set ever of get ups with the 24 kg kettlebell.

Have a strong evening!

Great work, @Michael Scott !

Do you usually do 5 sets, as in, 10 R + 10L, rest?

I'd recommend 10 sets -- as in, 10 R, rest. 10L, rest. 10R, rest. etc. It's a quick rest when doing the swings in 5 minutes (and actually, it matters less when doing the 5 minutes). But for daily practice, just 10 swings at a time is best and is what the program intends.

But don't get me wrong, your accomplishment still counts. :)

@Anna C, yes I normally do 10 sets, setting the kettlebell down between sets, 10L, rest, 10R, rest....rinse & repeat. Last night, when I saw that I had done my first set in 16-18 seconds, I thought, why not? So, thanks to you and the others that gave me insight to the EMOM/OTM practice, and the fact that I was actually watching the time instead of catching my breath, I was motivated to see how well I would do for the time standard. Yes, I got greedy, but I did it!

I will be doing the 10 sets of ten starting tonight.

Great work, @Michael Scott !

Do you usually do 5 sets, as in, 10 R + 10L, rest?

I'd recommend 10 sets -- as in, 10 R, rest. 10L, rest. 10R, rest. etc. It's a quick rest when doing the swings in 5 minutes (and actually, it matters less when doing the 5 minutes). But for daily practice, just 10 swings at a time is best and is what the program intends.

But don't get me wrong, your accomplishment still counts. :)

July 18

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 24 kg

Fantastic session tonight. I decided to go up to the 24 kg kettlebell for my swings, instead of stopping off at the 20 kg kettlebell. I went EMOM for about 7 sets, then I went with about a minute rest between sets. That was both energizing and draining at the same time. Then, my first time getting up with a 24 kg kettlebell. That took some serious concentration, but they all felt good from start to finish. I really enjoyed working with the 24 kg kettlebell tonight.

Fantastic session tonight. I decided to go up to the 24 kg kettlebell for my swings, instead of stopping off at the 20 kg kettlebell. I went EMOM for about 7 sets, then I went with about a minute rest between sets. That was both energizing and draining at the same time. Then, my first time getting up with a 24 kg kettlebell. That took some serious concentration, but they all felt good from start to finish. I really enjoyed working with the 24 kg kettlebell tonight.
Awesome! I agree with @Anna C, you are building momentum

Thank you both. It is odd that I went up to the 24 kg from the 16 kg, and it felt better and everything seemed sharper. I guess the 2 week deload to the 16 had a positive impact. Regardless, I enjoyed last night's session, and I am looking forward to the work to get to the time standard, so I can start tackling the 32 kg.

Awesome! I think you are building some momentum now.

Awesome! I agree with @Anna C, you are building momentum

July 19

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 24 kg

I went EMOM for the first 8 swing sets tonight, with the last 2 sets needing 90 seconds of rest between them. The get ups took longer tonight, but they were strong and steady... I am liking the feel of the 24 kg kettlebell so far.

Last edited:
July 20

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 24 kg

I went EMOM for the first 8 swing sets tonight, with the last 2 sets taking a little over a minute of rest between them. I did feel some leaking in my swing form, that may require me taking a little longer between sets for a couple of sessions to make sure my form is on point.

The get ups felt strong again tonight, but I am taking plenty of rest between sets, making sure that I am ready for the next set. A little waver here & there makes me pause when I have 53 pounds overhead.

Overall, I was very happy with this session.

July 22

1.5 mile run/walk

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 24 kg

Good training session today. I trained for recovery today, instead of swinging EMOM. It felt good to take my time more this session, but I will still train EMOM as well, mostly during the week, until I am close to mastering this kettlebell.

July 23

2.5 mile walk

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 24 kg

Another good training session where I trained for recovery instead of EMOM. I took more time between sets, fully recovering before I did another set. I feel great afterwards, but it almost feels like I didn't work hard.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom