all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
December 2

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 20 kg

1HS 8 x 10 x 20 kg, 2 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 4 x 2 x 20 kg, 1 x 10 x 24 kg

I added one set with the 24 kg today, and it felt real good. My session actually seemed to go faster by adding the additional weight today. I won't add a second set right away, maybe another session or two first. Slow and steady, no rushing ahead this time.

December 3

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 32 kg

Clean & Press 14 x 1/1 x 20 kg
Bent Over Row 14 x 5/5 x 20 kg

Last set of single C&Ps tonight, whew that was some work. Still, this is so very enjoyable to perform, but it was a real grind to complete. I do believe that my switching to a carnivore diet has had an impact on my sessions. As I transition to using fat for fuel, my body is struggling to adapt, being that I am only in week two, I get it. Still, I feel strong throughout the session, I just need to convert over so my recovery gets back to where it was, so I can start progressing again.

@Michael Scott - Your body will adapt. I'm not sure how you were eating before, if it was a standard diet with a decent amount of cards you may want to consider adding a small amount of carbs just prior to and after training just to get past your training session and then go back to your meat-fest.

@ShawnM, that may be necessary. I was on basically the Standard American Diet, (S.A.D.), where "good" carbs are encouraged to be consumed. I haven't gone completely carb free, yet. I have a couple days where some are consumed, but for the most part I am carnivore. I may look into having a Whey Protein shake after sessions, to add some carbs to my recovery, to see how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

@Michael Scott - Your body will adapt. I'm not sure how you were eating before, if it was a standard diet with a decent amount of cards you may want to consider adding a small amount of carbs just prior to and after training just to get past your training session and then go back to your meat-fest.

December 5

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 32 kg

Clean & Press 3 x 2/2 x 32 kg
Bent Over Row 3 x 5/5 x 32 kg

Went with S&T tonight, because we are still preparing for our guests that come in tomorrow night. The 32 kg felt heavy tonight, but not cumbersome. I may just do a few sessions of "From “Simple” to Serious Endurance" while they are here, to get some work in, but not taking the basement up and taking an hour......we shall see.

December 11

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 16 kg

That was a good session. I have been under the weather for a while, congestion that I could not shake. I have decided to start here, and progress up slowly. This time, the time standards will be hit before I add a set with the next size kettlebell. Tonight took about 6.5 minutes for the swings, and about 8 minutes for the get ups. I know that this will take a little time, but between the week off, and the congestion that had me gasping with the 16 kg, but I will get back to where I was, step by step.

I like what your doing here Michael Scott. Good luck on the new diet. I'm doing Keto+IF. Results are coming slowly, but the are real. I wouldn't feel bad about a slow taper from SAD to Carnivore. Kicking carbs is not easy. What are your weight loss or body composition goals?

December 12

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 16 kg

Tonight was more about recovery than progression. I made sure I was fully recovered between sets. While it did not take much longer, the time difference was notable. I am finding some little flaws that I was overlooking in my progression from before. I wasn't fully under the kettlebell in my get-ups, which is concerning, but explains some of the DOMS the following mornings. My swings were not at sharp as I thought either. Kind of depressing to be honest, but I am glad I found these small flaws, so they can be rectified.

Thank you, it is going relatively well. I do have slips, because carbs are indeed hard to kick. But, for the most part, I am having some success. Long term goals are weight loss, like 60 lbs, and a reduction in meds taken due to being T2D. If this is successful, I figure that my asthma should also stay well maintained, and my cardio should then also improve. As far as body comp, that is not a real concern for me, as I figure that weight loss should improve my body comp naturally.

I like what your doing here Michael Scott. Good luck on the new diet. I'm doing Keto+IF. Results are coming slowly, but the are real. I wouldn't feel bad about a slow taper from SAD to Carnivore. Kicking carbs is not easy. What are your weight loss or body composition goals?

Thank you, it is going relatively well. I do have slips, because carbs are indeed hard to kick. But, for the most part, I am having some success. Long term goals are weight loss, like 60 lbs, and a reduction in meds taken due to being T2D. If this is successful, I figure that my asthma should also stay well maintained, and my cardio should then also improve. As far as body comp, that is not a real concern for me, as I figure that weight loss should improve my body comp naturally.
Good Luck and stick with it. Looks like you're doing all the right things. I'm in a similar boat as far as weight. I've had both successful & unsuccessful stints with low cardbdieting. The lesson learned that it all came down to calories in verses calories out. Low carb is a good strategy to do that, especially with T2D. The first week always sucks, but stick with the exercise as your body will eventually start to adapt.

I started on a new diet this week, so I'm curious to see how it will affect my energy levels. Even if they tank, it's more important for me to get to a healthy body weight than to gain strength.

December 13

No training today, I was drafted into grandpa duty. Oh well, we had a great time. The funny thing is, every time he comes over, my 60 lb grandson two-hand deadlifts my 32 kg kettlebell........just to make sure he can still lift it. I may need to get a heavier kettlebell just for him to deadlift!

December 14, 15, 16

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 16 kg

Yes indeed, three days of simple, punch the clock work. One more week of this, then I will add the 20 kg back in to start my work. Slow & steady through the holidays, then, the chase is again on.

December 17

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 16 kg

Sticking to the plan for now. Today was a grind, as I was exhausted all day, but I have no idea why. I got over 6 hours of sleep, uninterrupted at that. Oh well, I did make it through the session. I did notice, that if my breathing was off, so was my form. Not horribly, but I did notice that I was just off when my breathing wasn't in sync like normal. It is amazing what you learn when you pay attention.....;)(y)

December 17

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 16 kg

Sticking to the plan for now. Today was a grind, as I was exhausted all day, but I have no idea why. I got over 6 hours of sleep, uninterrupted at that. Oh well, I did make it through the session. I did notice, that if my breathing was off, so was my form. Not horribly, but I did notice that I was just off when my breathing wasn't in sync like normal. It is amazing what you learn when you pay attention.....;)(y)
Our bodies talk to us constantly. Most of us just aren't good listeners...

December 18

No training session tonight. I spent two hours this morning moving two pallets of canned goods for our holiday charity event at work. Good movement time, as I covered over 8k steps and did a lot of lifting, and moving of these boxes of canned goods. While I wasn't sore, or overly stiff, I was tired at the end of the day. The great thing is that I know I will be able to work out tomorrow night, as I should recover from the day's work.

December 19

Shoulder Dislocates

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

Clean & Press 4 x 1/1 x 24 kg
Bent Over Row 4 x 5/5 x 24 kg

Prep for the weekend began tonight. So, it was no workout, or a quick pressing session. Of course I pressed! Quick, light, easy session that, as always, felt real good.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom