all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Those are stats for my 5 minute rowing sessions. I am following the user’s manual recommendations of breaking into this slowly......for a change...

Set. Time rowing, distance covered, 500 meter split time, and number of strokes per minute.
What does this mean Michael? Swimming?

Those are stats for my 5 minute rowing sessions. I am following the user’s manual recommendations of breaking into this slowly......for a change...

Set. Time rowing, distance covered, 500 meter split time, and number of strokes per minute.
Oh ok, makes sense.. do you have a C2? Mine's a pretty solid no frills air rower but I'd love to get a C2 one day, they're pretty much the gold standard. My SPM counter stopped working so I row for time and work at around 30 spm, I know that from when the counter was working.

Yes sir, just got it. Smooth operation, simple to set up and store when not in use.

Oh ok, makes sense.. do you have a C2? Mine's a pretty solid no frills air rower but I'd love to get a C2 one day, they're pretty much the gold standard. My SPM counter stopped working so I row for time and work at around 30 spm, I know that from when the counter was working.

March 8 - I have decided to make this a row and rest week, as I get accustomed to this new exercise.

March 9
Mobility work - stretched or loosened up my hamstrings, calves, hips and thighs. Also did some mobility work on my shoulders and back.

Read the advice @Strong Rick gave @elli about drive and pause, wow what a difference that made......16 strokes per minute was actually possible without almost stopping.....

1. 5:07, 577m, 500m in 4:26, 16 s/m
2. 5:05, 560m, 500m in 4:34, 17 s/m
3. 5:07, 562m, 500m in 4:34, 16 s/m
4. 5:06, 549m, 500m in 4:39, 16 s/m

Read the advice @Strong Rick gave @elli about drive and pause, wow what a difference that made......16 strokes per minute was actually possible without almost stopping.....

1. 5:07, 577m, 500m in 4:26, 16 s/m
2. 5:05, 560m, 500m in 4:34, 17 s/m
3. 5:07, 562m, 500m in 4:34, 16 s/m
4. 5:06, 549m, 500m in 4:39, 16 s/m
great job man! and what is crazy if you "dive deep" into your numbers you will see you were not much slower...
strong is smooth and smooth is FAST!!!!!

just a quick glance, looks like your were slower on average about :45 seconds....
as you refine your technique you get stronger and better conditioned your times will go down.
it is baffling to me but it is true.

once you figure it out you will hoover around 22-25 S/M and they will nice powerful strokes and feel easy.... and you will be able to control your heart rate. It is SOOO COOL!

right now i bet if you row around 22-25 S/M you are probably going like a "bat out of hell" or possible go faster like 26-31 S/M but you will not be much faster at that pace...and actually you will "gas out" and your lungs will start burning from how hard you are hitting system.

Keep going man, you are doing GREAT!

March 10 - Day off

March 11 - Unscheduled day to have a going away for one of my rugby guys

March 12
Mobility work - stretched or loosened up my hamstrings, calves, hips and thighs. Also did some mobility work on my shoulders and back.

Put the drive and pause in action, wow I really covered a lot of ground tonight at only 16 strokes per minute

1. 5:07, 714m, 500m in 3:35, 16 s/m
2. 5:06, 810m, 500m in 3:09, 16 s/m
3. 5:07, 852m, 500m in 3:00, 16 s/m
4. 5:06, 937m, 500m in 2:43, 16 s/m

I really found a good rhythm tonight, and each row felt strong. I am sure stretching will be very necessary tomorrow, but tonight felt great.

Last edited:
1. 5:07, 714m, 500m in 3:35,16 s/m
2. 5:06, 810m, 500m in 3:09,16 s/m
3. 5:07, 852m, 500m in 3:00, 16 s/m
4. 5:06, 937m, 500m in 2:43, 16 s/m
Hey hey, look at those numbers!
great job man!
Look at that you rowed more controlled and your times much faster then your previous effort by like a full minute!
Dude Keep it up but I wouldn’t go much slower then 16 s/m and actually if I could recommend once you are doing it a while I would like to see you right around 20-23 s/m.
I find at that pace it is a nice blend of strength and speed... at 16 s/m you are really driving but using more of your strength. Not that is a bad thing it just puts more focus on strength then anything else.

your doing great man!

I was pausing for a split second at the end of my pull, and then tapping down my leg to keep at 16 s/m. I am thinking 18-20 should be my pace, I don't know about 23.....like you said, that would feel like "a bat outta hell"......but I am just starting.

On the plus side, no real DOMS this morning, but I will still do some stretching.
Hey hey, look at those numbers!
great job man!
Look at that you rowed more controlled and your times much faster then your previous effort by like a full minute!
Dude Keep it up but I wouldn’t go much slower then 16 s/m and actually if I could recommend once you are doing it a while I would like to see you right around 20-23 s/m.
I find at that pace it is a nice blend of strength and speed... at 16 s/m you are really driving but using more of your strength. Not that is a bad thing it just puts more focus on strength then anything else.

your doing great man!

March 14

Went up a few strokes per minute tonight, felt good, and covered some good ground in the process.

1. 5:07, 894m, 500m in 2:52, 20 s/m
2. 5:04, 837m, 500m in 3:02, 20 s/m
3. 5:07, 792m, 500m in 3:13, 21 s/m
4. 5:06, 839m, 500m in 3:02, 22 s/m

Overall satisfied with this work tonight. I didn't power row like I did on Friday, I went for smoother, more consistent rowing....so far so good.

March 16

Went up a few strokes per minute tonight, felt good, and covered some good ground in the process.

1. 30:06, 3848m, 500m in 3:54, 21 s/m

I decided to row for 10 minutes, and then take each 5 minute segment as they came. 30 minutes at this pace wasn't as difficult as it sounded when I begun. Stretching will more than likely be necessary tomorrow, but tonight felt really good.

March 17— 20

It truly sucks when work and life get in the way, but sh!t happens. I did mobility work when I could, mainly hamstring and calf stretching along with some hip rolling.

March 21

Mobility Work
Hamstring and Calf Stretching

Halos 16, 16, 16
Goblet Squats 16, 16, 16

Clean and Press: 4 x 1/1 x 16 kg

That felt great!!! Just the Soju & Tuba program as written. No need for the rowing work with tomorrow’s session being rowing. My ankle felt good afterwards, so progress has been made.

March 17— 20

It truly sucks when work and life get in the way, but sh!t happens. I did mobility work when I could, mainly hamstring and calf stretching along with some hip rolling.

March 21

Mobility Work
Hamstring and Calf Stretching

Halos 16, 16, 16
Goblet Squats 16, 16, 16

Clean and Press: 4 x 1/1 x 16 kg

That felt great!!! Just the Soju & Tuba program as written. No need for the rowing work with tomorrow’s session being rowing. My ankle felt good afterwards, so progress has been made.
It's a nice and relieved type feeling when training begins to click again after a setback ?

March 22

1. 30:08, 3871m, 500m in 3:53, 24 s/m

Another good session tonight. I am really liking this rowing so far. Just went with it tonight, and 24 s/m wasn't that rough. At least for tonight.....

March 22

1. 30:08, 3871m, 500m in 3:53, 24 s/m

Another good session tonight. I am really liking this rowing so far. Just went with it tonight, and 24 s/m wasn't that rough. At least for tonight.....
A couple years ago I rowed an hour a day for a week, my body felt bulletproof.

I was forced to use some Jedi Mind Tricks, one day I'd be rowing a hundred feet offshore on a Serene Scottish Lake, the next day I'd be in the Arctic rowing past icebergs on beautiful calm Blue Water.

I love running on the beach, every day the beach is different.. The sights, sounds and smells are incredible along with fresh air blowing thousands of miles across the ocean and into my nostrils.. ahhhhhhh

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom