all posts post new thread

Nutrition Thoughts and experience on V-Diet

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

B_ski7

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi all,

Just curious if anyone has done the Velocity diet, and if so, what was your experience and thoughts on it? How has it benefited you after completing the 28 days?

Have been lifting weights and training for a little over a decade, and over the last year have really fallen in love with Dan John and Pavel's Easy Strength style training methods found in their respective books (due to the simplicitym, time efficiency, and the athletic appeal of the programs). Was recently reading "Never Let Go" and took interest in the velocity diet based on Dan John's promotion of it in the book. Anyway, my girlfriend and I decided it'd be a fun challenge to accept for the next month, finishing just in time for a beach vacation. Planning on running just a basic Easy Strength program, training 3-4 days a week. I guess I simply want to hear your experiences and opinions, good or bad, and if it really helped your nutritional habits long-term, regardless of cutting, bulking, or maintaining,a the completion of the diet. Have you used it since? Is it a reliable cutting protocol to do a few times throughout the year to break up some longer, steadier phases in a caloric surplus?

Thanks in advance for any sharing!

The old V-diet was fluids only, then they added one solid meal per day (assumedly because hardly anyone could stick to it). I mimicked the fluids only version by only consuming protein shakes (ie protein only) and a daily vitamin tablet for about a fortnight. The weight just falls off so it is VERY effective but I've also eaten just fruit and veg (ie carbohydrate only) to make weight in my boxing days and achieved similar results. These are just ways of severely limiting calories, in both cases by low density foods including the complete absence of fat. Everything in dieting works if you can stick with it and dieting at the extremes works even better but it is a sucky way to live. Give it a try (it won't hurt) and please report back on your progress

Thanks for the response. Ya we really just want to use it as basically a turbo boost to cut and see how lean we can get while maintaining good muscle mass. Did you experience any significant loss of muscle size or strength during or after the program?

I wouldn't recommend it at all.
Honestly, the velocity diet sounds like a scam propagated by t nation/their supplement shop. The fact that they promote their own products and label them as necessary only makes things worse. And why only fluid nutrition? To make the chronically low calories feel even worse?
There is some legit use for short term aggressive cuts (20-30 % deficit), especially if you have a lot of fat to lose. But the lower your calories the more you should focus on very satiating foods, i.e. high in nutrients and high in volume.

I agree that it seems like a scam at first. However, after Dan and thibs' reviews I felt more confident giving it a shot. I did have the exact same reaction as you initially, but thought I can't knock it til I try it. It's just 28 days. Not along term plan

I agree also that their specific supplements aren't necessary. There's plenty of supplements by other companies/cheaper that do the same thing. The updated variety does include a solid meal each day, which I will be eating, as well as direction for upping the calories.

I have followed intermittent fasting in the past for cuts and bulks and enjoyed success, but have never done an extremely aggressive short term cutting phase. And I've always noticed I'm not very hungry early (why fasting was easy to adapt to for me) so a couple scoops of protein powder will be nice early. I'm mainly interested in seeing if it helps us with better food choices after the fact during our more regular 2-3 solid meals on our normal day-to-day eating (not dieting phases).

I will let you all know how it goes for us either way. Thanks for the response.

i don't recall any appreciable loss of muscle size. the diet is high protein and I kept working out. there was a significant drop in strength (10% off my max, from memory) but that always happens to me when dieting and it comes back when the calories increase.

1. Don't drink alcohol
2. Eat lots of protein and veggies
3. Get your carbs from beans, and quinoa (no fruit, bread potatoes) 50-100g a day
4. Work out hard, and get 5-10k steps a day.
5. Have one meal a week where you cheat a little.

Much easier

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom