all posts post new thread

Programming Improv Thoughts on how I overtrained my lower back

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I believe it was that some amount of the back muscles were being overworked.

The most interesting impact on performance was that I was subsequently unable to 1 hand swing the 40kg bell to chest level, barely above the hips towards the belly button. but, my 2 hand swing came right up to shoulder height. The same day. Very strange.

Screenshot_20221025-004836.jpg

One of the things that happen with hinge/lower back overtraining is the firing patterns get out of whack. This causes the structure to become compromised.

The erectors go from predominantly isometric to a more dynamic role, and they can only take so much of that. The hamstrings take a break and the glutes operate more isometrically, only becoming heavily recruited near the end of the ROM.

Gonna beat the drum again - include some isometric work at the bottom of the hinge ROM, rock a bit fore and aft under tension to get the feel for how that shifts loading patterns in the hams, glutes, erectors, lats.

Every time you set up on a hinge, pre-load the movement to settle the structure before moving the weight. Over time this pre-load becomes ingrained, and takes less time and intent.

Looking back at the original post...

Yes you should have been doing Iron Cardio ;-]

And I did not see the swings noted in the original post/plan.

And we have all ended up overtraining at some point and having a good AAR (after action report) will help you plan better in the future.

How long did you go on the 2 a day program for before stopping?
Looking back at the original post...

Yes you should have been doing Iron Cardio ;-]

And I did not see the swings noted in the original post/plan.

And we have all ended up overtraining at some point and having a good AAR (after action report) will help you plan better in the future.
I think he said he went back to s&s after stopping the new program.

it was about 4 weeks.
Sounds about right. Pretty much the same thing happened when I went up from 36kg to 48kg 2h swings. Middle of week 4 I couldn't hinge well anymore and crunched my back.(ended up doing this 3 times over the next couple weeks before I gave up on the weight.)
$0.02:
{I don't know what your volume in c&p was, but doing high power snatches then what is probably a much greater systemic load with 75% barbell deadlifts 5 days a week is something that may need some gradual building into. I remember the s&s protocol for increasing swings and TGUs by inserting a heavier weight set by set eventually. But instead of weight, introduce volume slowly week over week. The pttp should be fine on it's own, but deload until it feels easy(60%?), then add a day of q&d in the mornings every week or two at a time, get used to that, then wave your pttp intensity up. 2 heavy/2 light for a couple months maybe then you could probably rock it from there. I had to split my swings to 80-swing sessions twice a day with 36kg for 2 months before inserting sets with 48kg. Took 3 months longer to convert 36kg sets to 48kg, all 16 sets. Good luck}

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom