all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Tom Furman

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Horizontal rows don't get enough respect, imo. When doing them with feet raised becomes easy, you can do your entire journey over again with one arm. And when that becomes easy you can start working tucked front levers... you know, rows with your legs held in the air. and not supported by anything!

I honestly find rows more beneficial to me than pull-ups. I don't get why everyone loves pull-ups so much.
I agree.

What we often see due to modern life is kyphosis and what is needed is something to open up the chest and shoulders.

Rows are the best at doing this. Particularly Seal Rows IMO.

Pull ups are great at stretching the shoulder girdle and tractioning the spine. All while loading the lats.

Armor of War, bought it last summer. It gives you the option to deadlift or swing, but that's it....

If you want the FAQ are here with some extra info.

It's not letting me post the link for some reason. It keeps turning it into a media link.

It's on Medium.com. Just search for Tom Furman Garage Workout.

Because of this link you shared I found the running program that’s featured as part of the “garage workout”. I’m 200lbs and have detested running since school but I am on week 3 of the recommended program and starting to love it. That’s the great thing about these forums. Gems that get shared!

Interestingly, I'm doing something similar currently, 4 days a week:
-Day A: AoW
- Day B: 10x10 swings + 10' loaded carries ( I'm thinking of changing this for deadlift)

Kind regards

Update on my AOW journey.

I'm just really struggling motivation wise ATM.

Haven't had a training funk like this for decades.
Catching covid over Xmas probably didn't help.

I am trying to take Mr Furman's advice quoted & be kinder to myself.
This has involved adding more autoregulation into my training & playing with the various allowable parameters of the programme to improve enjoyment & then ideally adherence.

So what am I doing now?

- twice a week training.

-hard single limb variations the three main exercises for 3 sets of 3. Will probably tweak leverages to make these exercises slightly easier.

-One higher rep burn out set of as many quality reps of an easier variation of the main 3 exercises.
However it's surprising how little reps I get after the higher intensity versions are done.

- 2 sets of banded good mornings (upped the resistance to drop the reps down to about 10-15)

-2 sets of resistance band full contact twists for about 10-20 reps.

-No purposeful cardio addition though it may happen.

I just saw this. Modifications may be necessary to condense time. "Train For Life" is exactly that. Trying to find an optimal zone that can allow you to have a life, but have optimal fitness. It is not a book on peaking. You will be adequate in strength, endurance and mobility, but not great. If you have a family and job you will still be able to run a 5K for charity, participate in your wife's yoga class and change a tire without a back ache. Higher sets allow for form. Also the much respected 5x5 is a good place to start after vacations, illness or inactivity. Just adding sets builds capacity. Train don't strain.

Update on my AOW journey.

Haven't had a training funk like this for decades.
Catching covid over Xmas probably didn't help.

I am trying to take Mr Furman's advice quoted & be kinder to myself.
This has involved adding more autoregulation into my training & playing with the various allowable parameters of the programme to improve enjoyment & then ideally adherence.

So what am I doing now?

- twice a week training.

-hard single limb variations the three main exercises for 3 sets of 3. Will probably tweak leverages to make these exercises slightly easier.

-One higher rep burn out set of as many quality reps of an easier variation of the main 3 exercises.
However it's surprising how little reps I get after the higher intensity versions are done.

- 2 sets of banded good mornings (upped the resistance to drop the reps down to about 10-15)

-2 sets of resistance band full contact twists for about 10-20 reps.

-No purposeful cardio addition though it may happen.
Going for a 45 minute walk every day can do wonders in a situation like this.

Going for a 45 minute walk every day can do wonders in a situation like this.

I get alot of walking from my job + I go for 5-10 mile strolls with my audiobooks quite frequently.

For example I have done 135 miles in the past 4 weeks.

However maybe just a quick stroll when I don't feel like training may be just the ticket.
Weirdly I was listening to a podcast about walking earlier today.

I get alot of walking from my job + I go for 5-10 mile strolls with my audiobooks quite frequently.

For example I have done 135 miles in the past 4 weeks.

However maybe just a quick stroll when I don't feel like training may be just the ticket.
Weirdly I was listening to a podcast about walking earlier today.
Sometimes I walk the dog flicking through the forum or listening to the radio.
Then, every once in a while, a rabbit, bird or even a deer will catch my attention and I remember to just take in the beauty around me and let my mind wander and process everything.

It reminds me of Deep Work by Cal Newport. He explains the benefits of a good walk with examples such as Charles Darwin. Highly recommended...

Sometimes I walk the dog flicking through the forum or listening to the radio.
Then, every once in a while, a rabbit, bird or even a deer will catch my attention and I remember to just take in the beauty around me and let my mind wander and process everything.

It reminds me of Deep Work by Cal Newport. He explains the benefits of a good walk with examples such as Charles Darwin. Highly recommended...

I don't have much interesting flora or fauna as I'm a city dweller though I don't have to drive far to get out in a more rural setting.

When ever i feel like that which is quite offen recently, i go back to DMPM always feel good when doing that.
Almost feels like im not doing enough though doing the 54321 so i change to something else or do more reps and start feeling sluggish again...back to DMPM 54321 and start over lol
I see it as a reset
I should really just stick with it for longer lol

When ever i feel like that which is quite offen recently, i go back to DMPM always feel good when doing that.
Almost feels like im not doing enough though doing the 54321 so i change to something else or do more reps and start feeling sluggish again...back to DMPM 54321 and start over lol
I see it as a reset
I should really just stick with it for longer lol
It worked so well you stopped doing it?;)

I haven't done this exact workout, but the days with 500 swings is taken right from the 10,000 swing challenge which I just did and my first day took 49 minutes (plus warmup and stretching) and by the end I was down to about 35 minutes plus warmup/stretching for about 45-50 minutes total.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom