all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Tom Furman

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I haven't done this exact workout, but the days with 500 swings is taken right from the 10,000 swing challenge which I just did and my first day took 49 minutes (plus warmup and stretching) and by the end I was down to about 35 minutes plus warmup/stretching for about 45-50 minutes total.
Looking at the amount of work, it looks like most days should be in the 45-60 minute range. roblox tutorials mobdro

Can anybody help me with the programming for a 4 times a week AoW program? I understand Workout 1: pistol/pull Workout 2: pull/push Workout 3: push/pistol. I can't work out what work out 4 would be. I am really poor at understanding programming and literally need things made really obvious for me. Owners of the book will understand what I mean here, if I went back to 1/2 for Workout 4, then the following week would I do an additional 2/3 then the third week an additional 3/1 to"balance" things?

Can anybody help me with the programming for a 4 times a week AoW program? I understand Workout 1: pistol/pull Workout 2: pull/push Workout 3: push/pistol. I can't work out what work out 4 would be. I am really poor at understanding programming and literally need things made really obvious for me. Owners of the book will understand what I mean here, if I went back to 1/2 for Workout 4, then the following week would I do an additional 2/3 then the third week an additional 3/1 to"balance" things?

I think I know what you mean.

Yes with 4 workouts a week you will end up doing the same workout twice but each week that repeated workout changes as you are just rotating through the exercise pairings.
Week 1= 1/2, 2/3, 3/1, 1/2
Week 2=2/3, 3/1, 1/2, 2/3
Etc,
Long term over months it won't matter in terms of balancing things out

@Jose Manuel and @Cearball thank you very much for your input. It is clear to me now what to do. I wish when programs were written for variable splits the programmer would show the full cycle to prevent FAQ and lost in translation issues. This is what made S+S attractive to me. Minimalistic program with clear and concise layout of programming. Minimal programs shouldn't minimise the program layout assuming people have the ability/experience to see how a program is intended to continue. I did my first session today and found it enjoyable, I managed it during my 45 minute lunch break outdoors using a rope over a tree branch for the "TRX" variations. I'll run it for 4 weeks 4 times a week with no other program on the go.

Changed my training.

Just an update.

Still inspired by Tom Furman's Armour of war I have been doing a free style program from "Train for Life" called "NAK: minimalist freestyle programme".

It's heavily inspired by Pavel & it's essentially Naked warrior with AOW bodyweight progressions with swing/clean days & LSD cardio.

I haven't bothered adding the purposeful cardio other than walking for fun & some X trainer work.

Really enjoying it & it's helped me get some motivation back.

@Cearball.

"Train for Life" called "NAK: minimalist freestyle programme".
Any chance of a link? Sounds interesting.
Did you loose motivation with AoW? I'm in my final week of a 4 week, 4 workouts a week block. I've noticed upper body strength gains, not so much the lower body on the pistols. Perhaps on the next cycle I will need to choose more taxing variations.

@Cearball.

Did you loose motivation with AoW? I'm in my final week of a 4 week, 4 workouts a week block. I've noticed upper body strength gains, not so much the lower body on the pistols. Perhaps on the next cycle I will need to choose more taxing variations.
Google is your friend

@TedDK.
Excellent thank you. I have Train for Life which is good. I'm slowly working my way through it and NAK as I have just discovered is the last few paragraphs. There book really is a depth of knowledge and I find myself going back over what I have just read and learning even more from it.

@Cearball.

Basically the workouts were just feeling like a chore.
Getting covid contributed aswell to that though I feel.

@TedDK.
Excellent thank you. I have Train for Life which is good. I'm slowly working my way through it and NAK as I have just discovered is the last few paragraphs. There book really is a depth of knowledge and I find myself going back over what I have just read and learning even more from it.

Yeah right at the back.

I think the flexibility of the program with less pressure has resulted in me training more.

No one (?) has mentioned Tom's book Combat Rok. An absolute gem! My favourite by far!

It build on the Isaac Hayes template, heavy, medium and light. Primarily bodyweight excercises push, pull, leg, fold, hinge and static holds like horse stance.

The book is a history lession in combat and bodyweight.

Has anyone done it?

No one (?) has mentioned Tom's book Combat Rok. An absolute gem! My favourite by far!

It build on the Isaac Hayes template, heavy, medium and light. Primarily bodyweight excercises push, pull, leg, fold, hinge and static holds like horse stance.

The book is a history lession in combat and bodyweight.

Has anyone done it?
I havent tried it but from your description it sounds like something i have been thinking about to trying.
Some kind of mix of BW training and Geoff Neupert.
Squat, push, pull, hinge. Ladders and heavy light medium.

I havent tried it but from your description it sounds like something i have been thinking about to trying.
Some kind of mix of BW training and Geoff Neupert.
Squat, push, pull, hinge. Ladders and heavy light medium.

Dont want to give away to much but..

Monday (heavy)
Bodyweight Push/pull ladders or supersets.
Legs + static holds

Tuesday (medium)
Hinge and fold progressions

Wednesday (light)
Aerobic day

Thursday
Rest or repeate

Any combat activity or Martial arts can also fit within the template depending on your focus.

I have probably forgot something. Im only on my forth read through :)

Question from someone who owns AoW: What are the primary adaptations one might expect from running it? Multiple low-rep sets of fairly high-intensity exercises with relatively short rest (~60-90s off the top of my head, could be wrong). If it was pure strength, I would expect it to have longer rest. Is it strength endurance? I think some have described it in the past as a BW Bear protocol - is that accurate? Is hypertrophy one of the main outcomes you can expect from it?

Question from someone who owns AoW: What are the primary adaptations one might expect from running it? Multiple low-rep sets of fairly high-intensity exercises with relatively short rest (~60-90s off the top of my head, could be wrong). If it was pure strength, I would expect it to have longer rest. Is it strength endurance? I think some have described it in the past as a BW Bear protocol - is that accurate? Is hypertrophy one of the main outcomes you can expect from it?
I'm sure he says stick to more stable progressions & add weight for hypertrophy.

I'm sure he says stick to more stable progressions & add weight for hypertrophy.
You are right about that! Just curious about the intention of the program as was designed - was it meant to be a blend of strength (low reps) and hypertrophy (lowish multiple sets) through the use of movements that require stability?

You are right about that! Just curious about the intention of the program as was designed - was it meant to be a blend of strength (low reps) and hypertrophy (lowish multiple sets) through the use of movements that require stability?

Pretty sure no.

More about tension based body knowledge.
High tension, low rep, multiple set.

The reason it may add muscle is because there are short rests & multiple sets.
This can be added by choosing the shortest rest periods & choosing stable exercise & adding weight like a normal push up with a weighted backpack.

If course there are ways to bias the programme even more towards hypertrophy but if you did you aren't doing the programme technically.

@Gepet, what are your goals? Tom has a few good programs between AoW, Seasons of Temper, etc. A personal favorite is AoW + S&S as described here: Synergy. When 1 + 1 = 3 - Tom Furman Fitness
That combo leaned my legs down and added some shoulder, upper back and arm mass when paired up with a weight vest. I'm currently running Wendler's Walrus with a Q&D session once per week that's been very effective for me.

@Gepet, what are your goals? Tom has a few good programs between AoW, Seasons of Temper, etc. A personal favorite is AoW + S&S as described here: Synergy. When 1 + 1 = 3 - Tom Furman Fitness
That combo leaned my legs down and added some shoulder, upper back and arm mass when paired up with a weight vest. I'm currently running Wendler's Walrus with a Q&D session once per week that's been very effective for me.
I'm liking the idea of walrus + Q&D.

What exercises you using for walrus?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom