all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Training Beyond 32kg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I row indoors right now, on either a Concept 2 (gym) or a WaterRower (home). I think there are a couple clubs here in town, but I haven’t really looked into it.

If you’re considering getting a rowing machine, I can’t recommend the WaterRower Classic highly enough. It really does come close to mimicking the feel of oars in water (it’s not a flat resistance curve like the Concept 2), and there’s just something so mentally satisfying about the sound of rushing water. On the other hand, the C2 is basically gold-standard, especially as far as measuring output is concerned. If you have any questions feel free to ask, i use both models regularly enough to have lots of opinions lol.

I can't speak to rowing or what strength training would have maximum benefit to it, but I certainly have enjoyed and benefited from going heavier than 32kg. I find heavier swings sustainable and enjoyable -- actually, they're what I come back to after the barbell beats me up a little too much. I feel like I could keep this up for a very long time, which is my goal.

I row indoors right now, on either a Concept 2 (gym) or a WaterRower (home). I think there are a couple clubs here in town, but I haven’t really looked into it.

If you’re considering getting a rowing machine, I can’t recommend the WaterRower Classic highly enough. It really does come close to mimicking the feel of oars in water (it’s not a flat resistance curve like the Concept 2), and there’s just something so mentally satisfying about the sound of rushing water. On the other hand, the C2 is basically gold-standard, especially as far as measuring output is concerned. If you have any questions feel free to ask, i use both models regularly enough to have lots of opinions lol.
@Brian ...
Thanks for the response. Good info there.
I was actually more interested in any outdoor rowing you may be doing.
Thanks again

To throw on my experience... I'm at the stage of perfecting technique with the 32, as opposed to just surviving it. When I feel good enough, I'll throw in a set with the 40, and it wipes me the #$/^ out. In a wonderful way.

Maybe I'm just not good enough at swinging a smaller weight faster. Maybe it's because the 40 does not share my subconscious fear of going faster, and does not care how fast I move it. But to me, throwing more weight around is the way forward.

...following an ETK-like program for a little less than a year now to boost my rowing performance.

Kettlebell Training For Rowing

Rowing movements are going produce that greatest effect for you Rowing.

"The Law of Specificity" applies: preform movement that are similar in nature to your sport and increase the Strength and Power of the muscle specifically involved.

Especially, ...

Heavy Kettlebell Swings

The majority of individual who preform Kettlebell Swing do not use enough weight with the movement to elicit an optimal training effect, increase Power and Strength.

Heavy Swings with a Kettlebell Swings with loads of more than half your body and right at your body weight need to be employed.

Since you weigh 170 lbs, that means the optimal loading would be at least 85 to 170 lbs are necessary.

Are Heavy Kettlebell Swings Better Than Deadlifts? | T Nation

Research by Dr Bret Contreras found that Heavy Kettlebell Swing produce the greatest Power Output.

Some of the highest Power Outputs measured, if not the most, are produced with Olympic Movements.

Contreras found Heavy Kettlebell Swing rival Power Output and Power Development.

Lighter Kettlebell Swings do not do this.

Reasons WhyIndividual Perform Light Kettlebell Swings

1) Lack of knowledge: The majority of individual are unaware of the Power Output produced and developed with Heavy Kettlebell Swings.

2) Kettlebell Price: Heavy Kettlebells tend to be expensive.

A Cheap Alternative

...is a Home Made Hungarian Core Blaster. The cost to make it is about $20 with pipe you purchase at Lows or Home Depot plus some Standard Weight Plates. You an purchased Used Standard Weight Plates on Craigslist for about 55 cent per pound.

I have and use the Hungarian Core Blaster for Kettlebell Swings. It work great.

I've loaded mine up to 170 lbs.

The only downside is that it is "One Trick Pony"; the Hungarian Core Blaster can only be used for Kettlebell Swings or Kettlebell Deadlifts.

Contreras article above provides information on how to make your own Home Made Core Blaster.

...a point where the offset torque starts to wear on tendons and joints.

Quite the contrary. Strength Training of this nature (any Strength Training Program) increases tendon and ligament strength and size.

This information is well documented and easy to find via Google.

Muscle grow in strength and size occurs quickly, followed by growth of tendons and ligaments.

Chronic Over Use And Abuse

What wears down tendons, ligaments and joint is Chronic Over Use and Abuse.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Hello,

I remember a poll, a while ago, about the equivalent of Simple, Solid, and why not Sinister. It appears that in general, regardless the weight of the person, reaching Simple roughly meant a 2X bdw deadlift. To be worth thinking if one wants to DL even heavier, "without" DL.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Heavy Kettlebell Swings

The majority of individual who preform Kettlebell Swing do not use enough weight with the movement to elicit an optimal training effect, increase Power and Strength.

Heavy Swings with a Kettlebell Swings with loads of more than half your body and right at your body weight need to be employed.

Since you weigh 170 lbs, that means the optimal loading would be at least 85 to 170 lbs are necessary.

Heavy swings are awesome, granted... but the problem is, most people don't have the strength or skill required to stabilize the spine enough to do this safely.

Just in case you didn't know, the Concept 2 website has an online logbook where you can also see your rankings vs. others in different distances.

Carl in Dover

Heavy swings are awesome, granted... but the problem is, most people don't have the strength or skill required to stabilize the spine enough to do this safely.

The Problem

The majority of individual perform Kettlebell Swings with sub-par loads that are never going to optimize their potential of Strength or Power in the movement.

There are a multitude of reason as to why this occurs remain with sub-par loads, Strength and Skill often are not part of why they don't.

The primary factor individual who are capable and don't is their lack of knowledge regarding the load can can be used.

These individuals are fully capable have. They have the Strength and Skill to use a heavier Kettlebell.

Progressive Loading

An individual (such as Brian) who can perform a Kettlebell Swing with 32 kg, can and should move up to a 40 or 48 kg Kettlebell, if they are interested in increasing their Strength and Power, Progressive Overload.

Strength and Skill

Individual who have neither the Strength or Skill in any movement have no business performing any movement with a load that is too heavy for them.

Kenny Croxdale

Regarding how strong is strong enough, if we're talking judo, strong enough is being able to move the opponent's whole body. My strength is not relative to his strength but relative to his body weight.

Don't want to derail this, but the Heavy Kettlebell Reference stated going heavier. If you're weak, this makes sense, but once you have over 2*bw deadlift (and hit Simple goal), strength shouldn't be your limiting factor for power, correct? The call for heavier bells contradicts what I've read about power development coming best from ~30% bodyweight KB (24kg)... ( Increasing Forces: Using the Kettlebell Swing to Increase Strength and Speed )
I've purposely dropped down to this for power sessions. Should I not? Still hoping for my first dunk even though I'm in my 40s..... ;)
Thx!

@Nate I see speed, power, and strength as existing on the speed/strength spectrum. Speed is on one end, with its low forces and very high rate of force development, and strength is on the other, with its high forces and low rate of force development. Think of a someone doing an Irish dance vs. a heavy deadlift. Power is in the middle of the spectrum; fast but with some real force behind it. Since they're all on the same spectrum, they all have some carryover to each other (a weak person will get faster if they get stronger, for instance), but you need to ask yourself "What adaptation do I want" and train for that.

Overspeed swings vs. heavy swings are a good illustration of similar movements that can serve different purposes. They both develop power, but the overspeed swing will develop "faster" power, whereas a heavy swing will develop "stronger" power. The reason some people love heavy two-handed swings is that they have a high carryover to the deadlift, which makes sense since the deadlift is on the strength end of the spectrum. Really, both will make you stronger and faster, so I would just ask "what do you like to do?" Another good question is "What do you have access to?" If you want to deadlift more, and all you have access to is a 32 K, then overspeed swings will still help your deadlift, just maybe not as much as swings with the beast (or deadlifting).

I've purposely dropped down to this for power sessions. Should I not? Still hoping for my first dunk even though I'm in my 40s
I think this is appropriate. Overspeed swings have better carryover to jumping :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom