all posts post new thread

Barbell Unwanted Muscle Growth From Touch and Go In Deadlift?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Benedictine Monk

Level 3 Valued Member
Sorry everyone. I didn't want to start a war over Gallagher touch and go slow negative deadlifts and the PTTP style "follow the weight down" deadlifts. I actually like the "feeling" of being in control during the entire deadlift that a Gallagher style gives me but (unless I'm suffering from too little sleep and sloppy diet the past 2 weeks) I'm getting unwanted muscle growth on the inside of the thighs from just 2 weeks of deads and I'm only at 135-155 lbs on the deadlift, which is not even Bodyweight x 1.0.

At this rate I'll look like a competitive cyclist by the time I hit Bodyweight x 2.0. Any advice? As a guide way back in the 80's when I would squat the top most part of my things would chafe at a bodyweight of 160 lbs and squat weight of 300 so I seem to blow up my adductors pretty easily.

Pull out the violins!

Last edited:
Hello,

Muscle building is about the type of move you are doing (sets / reps). It is also a matter of food.

Basically, if you carbs (or fat) to provide energy, but above all, proteines, you will build muscle by doing low reps with heavy weights.

Besides, if you are light / skinny (like me), big moves like DL or squats will make you heavier in all cases

Kind regards,

Pet'

Muscle building is about the type of move you are doing (sets / reps).
Time under tension (TUT) is a big factor, too.
I don't want to start another unnecessary discussion about what's the best way to achieve hypertrophy, but my own experience is that daily swings and TGUs produced much more hypertrophy in my back and shoulders than 2-3x/week lat pulldowns and shoulder presses with typical hypertrophy sets, reps and rest.

The bench press produces a lot of chest hypertrophy for a lot of people, but if you look at the muscle anatomy you see that the chest can't really "push". So everything the chest does during a bench press is "getting streched at the bottom" and stabilizing the weight (Many people report that DB bench produces more hypertrophy than BB bench. In the DB bench you get a deeper stretch and more importantly you need more stabilization -> more hypertrophy than BB bench). The stabilizing happens during the whole movement, so a lot of TUT.
Why I bring up the bench press? Your adductors help with the movement and act as a stabilizer in the deadlift. Like the chest in the bench press, they get a lot of TUT during deadlift with a slow negative. Add that negatives, especially slow ones, lead to significantly more "tissue damage".
So it's only reasonable that you experience hypertrophy from the way you're doing your deadlifts.

Time under tension (TUT) is a big factor, too.
I don't want to start another unnecessary discussion about what's the best way to achieve hypertrophy, but my own experience is that daily swings and TGUs produced much more hypertrophy in my back and shoulders than 2-3x/week lat pulldowns and shoulder presses with typical hypertrophy sets, reps and rest.

The bench press produces a lot of chest hypertrophy for a lot of people, but if you look at the muscle anatomy you see that the chest can't really "push". So everything the chest does during a bench press is "getting streched at the bottom" and stabilizing the weight (Many people report that DB bench produces more hypertrophy than BB bench. In the DB bench you get a deeper stretch and more importantly you need more stabilization -> more hypertrophy than BB bench). The stabilizing happens during the whole movement, so a lot of TUT.
Why I bring up the bench press? Your adductors help with the movement and act as a stabilizer in the deadlift. Like the chest in the bench press, they get a lot of TUT during deadlift with a slow negative. Add that negatives, especially slow ones, lead to significantly more "tissue damage".
So it's only reasonable that you experience hypertrophy from the way you're doing your deadlifts.

I never thought - at the age of 52 - I'd be whining about "please, please make the muscle growth stop". I did a little googling around and the Dead Stop versus Touch and Go is a big point of controversy. Based on purely subjective feel, I prefer Touch and Go for keeping my form in tact (I speak only for myself, not for others) and I never thought about total time under tension but you're right -- it makes perfect sense.

Sorry everyone. I didn't want to start a war over Gallagher touch and go slow negative deadlifts and the PTTP style "follow the weight down" deadlifts.

I don't think it's productive to think about this as possibly "starting a war." Marty Gallagher is a great guy, and an incredible coach. Anyone who's coached Ed Coan has gym cred. He is, however, a great powerlifting coach who will turn you into a huge, strong, primitive beast. Apparently that's not your goal now, so it's just not your cup of tea. Pavel writes proudly of great fighters with very strong "chicken legs" in S&S- that's another cup of tea. There's nothing to fight about here- just pick your poison, as they say, and do whatever meets your goals.

I don't think it's productive to think about this as possibly "starting a war." Marty Gallagher is a great guy, and an incredible coach. Anyone who's coached Ed Coan has gym cred. He is, however, a great powerlifting coach who will turn you into a huge, strong, primitive beast. Apparently that's not your goal now, so it's just not your cup of tea. Pavel writes proudly of great fighters with very strong "chicken legs" in S&S- that's another cup of tea. There's nothing to fight about here- just pick your poison, as they say, and do whatever meets your goals.

Understood, I just like throwing my obligatory preface in because I don't really know the backstory and have wandered into the deadlift den as a purely functional training detour, not with an axe to grind. I do find myself for the first time ever in my life saying (as I put on a t shirt I haven't worn in 2 weeks) "Oh, this is ridiculous, I will be a raging bull in 6 months".

At 52, people will assume 12 months from now I'm on the juice. Anyway, lesson learned.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom