all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Up Next: Neupert's KB Strong or KB WOD?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DC3

Level 4 Valued Member
I'm currently in Week 5 of Fabio Zonin's Simple Strength ( Simple Strength for Difficult Times: An 8-Week Progressive Plan | StrongFirst ). I started with this as a way to get ready for doing KB Strong! The exercises I chose were Double KB: Squat, Press and Row. The way the program is designed this also leads to quite a few cleans in each session as well. I was going to grab Strong once I finished the 8 weeks but then I received a nice email from Geoff. It offered his full year KB WOD with KB Strong and The Big 6 as bonuses for just a little more than Strong. So I snatched it right up and now I'm wondering the best course of action going forward. I'm going to over explain a bit to see what some of the instructors here think. Maybe even the legend himself will pop in. :cool:

I'm a 45 year old male. I'm 5'9" and currently hover between 175-185 lbs. depending on activity levels and what I eat. I don't have a large build. More of a mix between skinny/athletic. I played a ton of basketball, soccer and baseball from childhood into my thirties. I've been working out with KB's for 6 years. A large majority of it has been S&S. I have also done a decent amount of complex style training and 1 run through of the Q&D Swing + Push protocol. My overall training objectives are threefold; Strength, aesthetics and longevity. However my main goal right now is to see if I can get to where my abs are visible or at least close to that. Right now, even when in good shape, most of the extra body fat I have left is right in my front stomach area. I can get to where I can almost pinch nothing on my sides or lower back but still got a bit of belly fat. The reason I was interested in KB Strong is because from my view the issue is possibly not building up enough strength and muscle in the larger groups in order to make burning fat easier. Maybe I'm off the mark. However I have been down to 165 in the last year and still had the belly fat.

Anyway, while being in the middle of Fabio's program and looking over WOD, I thought getting some opinions here on how to proceed would be a good idea. I was thinking of 3 possibilities; 1. Start KB Strong and go completely through it first. 2. Start KB WOD and do the entire 53 weeks first. 3. Start KB WOD, but somewhere within that program, transfer over and start KB Strong. I sort of like the idea of 3 but I'm not sure at what point would be the best to stop WOD and move on to Strong.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Any feedback is appreciated.

- DC

I'm a newbie to KB training. I am currently in week 15 of KB WOD. I have the same general fitness background as you; it sounds like the same current physical traits and goals, as well.

KB WOD starts out pretty basic. You might find yourself looking ahead to the more advanced weeks. But, the beginning of the program really does a good job of laying the foundation, physically speaking. There is a lot of focus on basics, including building core strength. In my opinion, it would be very beneficial to do the fist month or so of KB WOD, especially to portions that include carries and dead bugs.

A veteran KB athlete might be able to jump ahead to whatever area they like. Week 15 introduces double KB work. As a newbie, I don't think I would have really been ready without the focus on the in the previous 14 weeks. It all really clicked when I did the first few sets of double KB cleans to the rack.

If you read all the way through the program, you will see that some weeks have repeat training days, while overall, there is variety. If you're someone who gets bored easily, then KB WOD might be good for you. It gets especially interesting in the later weeks with the KB chains.

I find the best part of KB WOD is that workout are 15 minutes and they are five days a week. It allows you make training a part of your lifestyle, yet it doesn't wear you down for you life, in general.

At 42 years old, I look and feel better than ever, FWIW.

I'm a newbie to KB training. I am currently in week 15 of KB WOD. I have the same general fitness background as you; it sounds like the same current physical traits and goals, as well.....

Thanks for the feedback. I do like that WOD is 5 days a week as I enjoy a daily practice. The program I'm on currently is 3 main days with correctives on the other two. I should have added I do 7-8 swings EMOM for 15-16 minutes on those corrective days. I also do an Abs tabata on those days. 30 seconds on and 30 off for 6 minutes. I switch between Hollow Holds, Planks and Dead Bugs. On the flip side I'm thinking for some real muscle growth I may need some time with a program like KB Strong where you work really hard 3 days a week but get true rest on the others.

Doing some of WOD and then switching to Strong when it moves to Double KB work may be a solid option.

KB WOD starts out pretty basic. You might find yourself looking ahead to the more advanced weeks. But, the beginning of the program really does a good job of laying the foundation, physically speaking. There is a lot of focus on basics, including building core strength. In my opinion, it would be very beneficial to do the fist month or so of KB WOD, especially to portions that include carries and dead bugs.

A veteran KB athlete might be able to jump ahead to whatever area they like. Week 15 introduces double KB work. As a newbie, I don't think I would have really been ready without the focus on the in the previous 14 weeks. It all really clicked when I did the first few sets of double KB cleans to the rack.

If you read all the way through the program, you will see that some weeks have repeat training days, while overall, there is variety. If you're someone who gets bored easily, then KB WOD might be good for you. It gets especially interesting in the later weeks with the KB chains.

I find the best part of KB WOD is that workout are 15 minutes and they are five days a week. It allows you make training a part of your lifestyle, yet it doesn't wear you down for you life, in general.

At 42 years old, I look and feel better than ever, FWIW.
@Ronzi - Thanks for the detailed feedback. Glad to hear of your results so far. Keep up the great work!

I'm currently in Week 5 of Fabio Zonin's Simple Strength ( Simple Strength for Difficult Times: An 8-Week Progressive Plan | StrongFirst ). I started with this as a way to get ready for doing KB Strong! The exercises I chose were Double KB: Squat, Press and Row. The way the program is designed this also leads to quite a few cleans in each session as well. I was going to grab Strong once I finished the 8 weeks but then I received a nice email from Geoff. It offered his full year KB WOD with KB Strong and The Big 6 as bonuses for just a little more than Strong. So I snatched it right up and now I'm wondering the best course of action going forward. I'm going to over explain a bit to see what some of the instructors here think. Maybe even the legend himself will pop in. :cool:

I'm a 45 year old male. I'm 5'9" and currently hover between 175-185 lbs. depending on activity levels and what I eat. I don't have a large build. More of a mix between skinny/athletic. I played a ton of basketball, soccer and baseball from childhood into my thirties. I've been working out with KB's for 6 years. A large majority of it has been S&S. I have also done a decent amount of complex style training and 1 run through of the Q&D Swing + Push protocol. My overall training objectives are threefold; Strength, aesthetics and longevity. However my main goal right now is to see if I can get to where my abs are visible or at least close to that. Right now, even when in good shape, most of the extra body fat I have left is right in my front stomach area. I can get to where I can almost pinch nothing on my sides or lower back but still got a bit of belly fat. The reason I was interested in KB Strong is because from my view the issue is possibly not building up enough strength and muscle in the larger groups in order to make burning fat easier. Maybe I'm off the mark. However I have been down to 165 in the last year and still had the belly fat.

Anyway, while being in the middle of Fabio's program and looking over WOD, I thought getting some opinions here on how to proceed would be a good idea. I was thinking of 3 possibilities; 1. Start KB Strong and go completely through it first. 2. Start KB WOD and do the entire 53 weeks first. 3. Start KB WOD, but somewhere within that program, transfer over and start KB Strong. I sort of like the idea of 3 but I'm not sure at what point would be the best to stop WOD and move on to Strong.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Any feedback is appreciated.

- DC
@DC3 - I would run "Kettlebell W.O.D." and just do the entire 53 weeks.

I think you'll be shocked at how good you'll feel. (One guy was able to get his 5 Minute Snatch Test using a 24kg.) Then, after week 13/14, start watching "STRONG!" and practicing the double KB lifts. Then, by week 15, you're ready to go, or at least not shocked/surprised. Then, after you've completed "W.O.D.," switch to the "Strong!" program.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: DC3
Thanks Geoff. I had planned on just going straight into KB Strong but after looking over Kettlebell W.O.D. I was intrigued. I enjoy working out 5 days a week so it looks great. I'll run through the full program before moving on to anything else.

Thoughts on adding in walking or rucking after the workouts?

Thanks Geoff. I had planned on just going straight into KB Strong but after looking over Kettlebell W.O.D. I was intrigued. I enjoy working out 5 days a week so it looks great. I'll run through the full program before moving on to anything else.

Thoughts on adding in walking or rucking after the workouts?
You're welcome.

Give the walking/rucking a shot and see how you feel. If you can't recover, dial it back.

Reactions: DC3
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom