all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What kettlebell size for Strong! (Geoff Neupert) and other misc questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

gregny

Level 2 Valued Member
Hey all. I'm looking to purchase a pair of kettlebells to start doing the Strong! program and eventually some other Geoff Neupert programs and I can use some advice on what size bell would be most appropriate. I currently own a single 55 lbs bell that I can strict press for 6 reps (4 before the speed starts decreasing on the way up). Some other stats if its helpful:

Weight: 170 lbs
Height: 5'10"
Build: Slight / Average

A couple of other questions:
1. Can I go through the Strong! program using just one pair of bells or are multiple sizes required?
2. Does this program neglect quads to a great degree? My quads tend to lag behind quite a bit and it and I've noticed there is no squatting in this program.

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

Have you gone through ETK right of passage program yet? Not saying you cant do strong but IMO you would be better served running ETK and getting your press up 32kg at least for reps before embarking on a more advanced program...

However, to answer your question I'm pretty positive you run the strong program with one pair of bells... the program is built around C&P 3x's a week, you can just throw a few sets of 5 of squats or pistols at the end of the workout or on separate days...

Hey all. I'm looking to purchase a pair of kettlebells to start doing the Strong! program and eventually some other Geoff Neupert programs and I can use some advice on what size bell would be most appropriate. I currently own a single 55 lbs bell that I can strict press for 6 reps (4 before the speed starts decreasing on the way up). Some other stats if its helpful:

Weight: 170 lbs
Height: 5'10"
Build: Slight / Average

A couple of other questions:
1. Can I go through the Strong! program using just one pair of bells or are multiple sizes required?
2. Does this program neglect quads to a great degree? My quads tend to lag behind quite a bit and it and I've noticed there is no squatting in this program.

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

Havea look at this thread, I think it had been discussed there, including Geoff’s recommendation:

There was also his article on the blog just 2-3 months ago.

Have you gone through ETK right of passage program yet? Not saying you cant do strong but IMO you would be better served running ETK and getting your press up 32kg at least for reps before embarking on a more advanced program...

However, to answer your question I'm pretty positive you run the strong program with one pair of bells... the program is built around C&P 3x's a week, you can just throw a few sets of 5 of squats or pistols at the end of the workout or on separate days...

Thanks for the input. I haven't done ETK yet. I'll have a look. So, if I understand correctly, you think I should work on being able to tackle ETK with a 32kg before moving on to a program like Strong!. Does it follow that once I get to this point, I 32kg is a reasonable weight for the Strong! program?

@gregny , I always like to preface "advice" with the caveat that I am not an instructor, just a "garage trainer" but if I may add, the "Strong!" program is supposed to be started with a pair of kettlebells that are your 4 to 5 rep max. I have learned over the years that a 4 or 5 rep max is not 2 solid reps, 1 ok rep and 1 really twisted, shaky rep. It's 4 or 5 solid technique reps. If they aren't solid you'll be on the road to injury as the volume increases.

It sounds to me like you really aren't sure of how many reps you'd do with double 53s as you only have one. Doing six reps with one 24 kg in a press is solid work but that doesn't mean 6 reps with double kettlebells....they are a slightly different breed! You may find that 6 reps with a 24 translates to 3 reps of doubles.

Also you technically need one pair of kettlebells for the program but as you gain strength and experience you'll probably need more pairs. Reasoning for me is I need to warm up to my working sets. I have accumulated several bells over the years in my garage. Typically for me while going through it right now is two sets of 5 with 24s, two sets of 3 with 32s then hit up the 36s for the day's scheduled work sets.

As said often, your mileage may vary.

Here are the prerequisites:
Geoff Neupert said:
Here are some “milestones” you should be able to accomplish:

Rack Hold
  • For Men: Hold half of your bodyweight with a pair of kettlebells in the rack position for 30s minimum.
  • For Women: Hold a third of your bodyweight with a pair of kettlebells in the rack position for 30s minimum.

Press Strength
  • For Men: Press half of your bodyweight with a pair of kettlebells at least once. Preferably 3 times or more.
  • For Women: Press one third of your bodyweight with a pair of kettlebells at least once. Preferably 3 times or more.
  • If you can’t do one or either of those, then follow the program below until you can.

There is also a prep program included in the article.

@gregny , I always like to preface "advice" with the caveat that I am not an instructor, just a "garage trainer" but if I may add, the "Strong!" program is supposed to be started with a pair of kettlebells that are your 4 to 5 rep max. I have learned over the years that a 4 or 5 rep max is not 2 solid reps, 1 ok rep and 1 really twisted, shaky rep. It's 4 or 5 solid technique reps. If they aren't solid you'll be on the road to injury as the volume increases.

It sounds to me like you really aren't sure of how many reps you'd do with double 53s as you only have one. Doing six reps with one 24 kg in a press is solid work but that doesn't mean 6 reps with double kettlebells....they are a slightly different breed! You may find that 6 reps with a 24 translates to 3 reps of doubles.

Also you technically need one pair of kettlebells for the program but as you gain strength and experience you'll probably need more pairs. Reasoning for me is I need to warm up to my working sets. I have accumulated several bells over the years in my garage. Typically for me while going through it right now is two sets of 5 with 24s, two sets of 3 with 32s then hit up the 36s for the day's scheduled work sets.

As said often, your mileage may vary.
@John Grahill , yeah I figured that might be the case - that a single 24 is a different beast than double 24's. Maybe I'll grab some 20's to start with. I could always go heavier if it gets too easy. Thanks for the info!

gregny
I say get forget the 20k pair and just get your second 24K kb and give your double presses a go. Some people find a difference, others do not. After the test you'l know, and that's worth more than a guess.

If there is a difference, use EtK to help up your numbers. That second bell will be waiting...

gregny
I say get forget the 20k pair and just get your second 24K kb and give your double presses a go. Some people find a difference, others do not. After the test you'l know, and that's worth more than a guess.

If there is a difference, use EtK to help up your numbers. That second bell will be waiting...
Thanks for the advice! I am a little worried about outgrowing the lighter pair very quickly. But I could always use them for warm ups as well (since I don't have a light kettlebell at the moment).

Thanks for the advice! I am a little worried about outgrowing the lighter pair very quickly. But I could always use them for warm ups as well (since I don't have a light kettlebell at the moment).
I've only ever used the primary sized bells 16, 24, 32 and now working on the 40. There are so many ways to cook the bell's I never needed the inbetweeners... But if i had the money to throw around I might have.

have fun and enjoy the process. It's for a life time.

If those are the size ranges you are considering, why not get a pair of adjustable 12 - 32kg bells. That way you have all the sizes you need up to 32. The expense is more than two regular bells but much less than multiple sets of bells.

If those are the size ranges you are considering, why not get a pair of adjustable 12 - 32kg bells. That way you have all the sizes you need up to 32. The expense is more than two regular bells but much less than multiple sets of bells.
Wasn't sure what the consensus around here was on adjustable bells. Last time I looked into them, the offerings weren't too impressive. Perhaps I'll have a second look. But now that I recall the standard sizes, I would skip the 20 and just grab 16's and 24's (eventually 32's).

These are the only ones I consider real. There are a bunch that only go up to 15 or 20kg. These feel like real comp belles. I have one loaded for snatches right now and I tried it next to a real 22kg bell and I could not tell a difference. I have enjoyed mine so much that I purchased a second one the last time KBK had a sale.

These are the only ones I consider real. There are a bunch that only go up to 15 or 20kg. These feel like real comp belles. I have one loaded for snatches right now and I tried it next to a real 22kg bell and I could not tell a difference. I have enjoyed mine so much that I purchased a second one the last time KBK had a sale.

Those look really nice. Thanks for the link!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom