all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What to focus on when performing swings and GU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oscar

Level 7 Valued Member
Hi all,

Reading the forum I came across so many tips to perform better the swing and the GU. For instance, for the the swing I have read "bell shouldnt flip at bottom position", "hinge back", "dont hinge until your arms almost touch your inner tigh", do a vertical plank", "engage lats", "pack shoulder" and so on. Unfortunately, as the swing is such a dynamic exercise, I can´t follow all this cues at once while doing the exercise. My brain is only capable of two hints at most, one on the way up and one on the way down. For instance this is what I focus on while doing the swing:

- On the way down: Hinge backwards.
- On the way up: contract glutes - vertical plank.

I was wondering what do you focus on when doing the swings and GU?

Swings: Deep hinge on backswing; at the apex for the way down I like to focus on snapping the handle in half as if I were trying to bend a metal bar in front of me, it helps engage the lats for the backswing.

TGU: Roll to elbow (not a sit-up), proud chest at the full sitting position, line up hand, knee, and shin in the "kneeling windmill" position, crush grip handle especially for the lunge up (and down), breathe "behind the shield" throughout.

Unfortunately, as the swing is such a dynamic exercise, I can´t follow all this cues at once while doing the exercise. My brain is only capable of two hints at most, one on the way up and one on the way down.

I do feel the same, I can only focus on one, max. two cues at once. That is why I alternate from day to day. I have put all the cues that I have received or found on post-its and put them on a wall in my practice room. Every morning when I start I pick one or two I that I want to focus on and note them down in my log as well.

My "favourite" cues for the swing:
- Stay as long as possible in the plank.
- Stay a tiny bit longer in the hinge and get really tight.

For the TGU:
- Breathe behind the shield.
- Goose-neck the wrist.

Work on them week by week.

Spend one week on 2 cues and really dial it in.
Switch one out and see how your Swings/GU are.

I do this with all my lifts.

I find going up in weight it's harder to hit all the cues on the swing. They do come back with practise and when you hit them all you notice the difference.

Part of the process and fun I think.

Yes, exactly... two cues per exercise and per session is about right.

Sometimes I'll choose one or two, feel that I've nailed them pretty well after a set or two, and move on to another focus. Other times if I feel I've nailed it during the session, I'll continue to focus on that aspect to really cement it in. And sometimes I can't make any headway on the focus area, or it's like herding cats -- you improve in one area and something else gets away from you.

Interesting tidbit for those who track heart rate variability (HRV) -- on days that my score shows parasympathetic dominance, I find that I get much better feedback from body to mind. Sympathetic dominant days are more like "punch the clock and get it done" sessions. So the parasympathetic days are really productive in making changes and adjustments, really focusing on techniques and cues for improvements.

One thing to remember is that you have to come back to everything. I remarked one time that it's like tightening screws... you get one thing too tight and you have to back off somewhere else, or correspondingly tighten somewhere else, to get it all locked down right.

Also, your body changes over the months and years that you practice, so some cues work better at different stages of development.

So many reasons that each session is a practice...

I would agree with all above...Sometimes you can over think it though. If you video your sets you should be able to pick out the parts that need the most work from the cues that you are using. I have an SFG working with me and we've been working on a deeper hinge and straight arms at the top. Sometimes however it's good to just go by feel and enjoy or you can suffer from paralysis by analysis syndrome...

One way to "slow down" the swing is to do resets (AKA dead stop swings). This way you can pick one technique and drill it one rep at a time. You can take your time to review your previous and upcoming efforts in between each and every swing.

Get-ups are slow enough (or should be) that you can practice every technique you want. Putting a pause at each transition is the best way to dissect and adjust the TGU.

Thanks all for the replies, apparently focusing on 2 cues per exercise is what most of us do. As usual I really liked @Anna C ´s and @MikeMoran´s approach to progressing the cues.

If someone tells you to do a getup with 32kg or more in two months, then whatever cue available in roll to elbow should be the focus.

Breathing counts too.

Hello,

The more I practice a move, the more I focus on breathing and tension (I do some kind of mental map of my muscle). The training tend to be more mental and martial. The move becomes only a physical demonstration, but the training is "inside". Yes it can sound a bit weird...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes, exactly... two cues per exercise and per session is about right.

Sometimes I'll choose one or two, feel that I've nailed them pretty well after a set or two, and move on to another focus. Other times if I feel I've nailed it during the session, I'll continue to focus on that aspect to really cement it in. And sometimes I can't make any headway on the focus area, or it's like herding cats -- you improve in one area and something else gets away from you.

Interesting tidbit for those who track heart rate variability (HRV) -- on days that my score shows parasympathetic dominance, I find that I get much better feedback from body to mind. Sympathetic dominant days are more like "punch the clock and get it done" sessions. So the parasympathetic days are really productive in making changes and adjustments, really focusing on techniques and cues for improvements.

One thing to remember is that you have to come back to everything. I remarked one time that it's like tightening screws... you get one thing too tight and you have to back off somewhere else, or correspondingly tighten somewhere else, to get it all locked down right.

Also, your body changes over the months and years that you practice, so some cues work better at different stages of development.

So many reasons that each session is a practice...

Aside from the HRV stuff, which I haven't used, most of this reflects my own experience. As Dan John says, "You can't think your way through a ballistic lift," so you have to keep your focus tight and simple during the lift -- both on any cues you focus on executing, and in monitoring and assessing how well you are executing them.

Then it becomes an ongoing process of addressing different pieces of the whole. "Herding cats" and "tightening screws" are good metaphors, or "playing whack-a-mole."

I like that Anna's post ends with the overall idea of practice, because to me this process is the essence of practice. I often see two aphorisms about practice that I strongly disagree with: "practice makes permanent" and "perfect practice makes perfect."

To me, practice is a laboratory and a learning experience. So practice is always evolving -- the opposite of permanent.

And I have never done anything perfect or perfectly, so I'm not sure what "perfect practice" would be like.

In my experience, one of the most productive aspects of practice is having "happy accidents," those reps or sets where everything just seems to go right (maybe not "perfect," but a different level of "good").

Happy accidents can occur randomly, as a result of trying to implement specific cues, or as a result of experimentation (trying out something a little different instead of trying to do the same thing better -- and a failed experiment can be just as instructive as a successful one.). Then, when a happy accident occurs, I try to reverse engineer it. What did I just do? How was it different than what I was doing before? Can I replicate it? Can I replicate it consistently? What cue(s) might help me to replicate it consistently?

To answer the OP's question, I think the biggest thing I focus on during any drill (but especially ballistics) is "how does it feel?" Then I try to focus on some aspect of the answer. What felt good? (Let's try to do that again!) What felt not so good? (Fix that!) I tend to make my adjustments from rep to rep and set to set flexibly, based on this "feel" assessment more than specific cues I have in mind to start with (although I often use those too). I think I have enough experience, and have internalized enough cues and good technique, to quickly switch focus from one thing to another -- which is NOT the same as consciously focusing on more than one or two things at a time.

Last edited:
Focus varies even within one training session:
both on swing and TGU I try to keep full body awareness. Further:
- in the swing: upper arms contacting the trunk before starting to hinge, try to stay in the hinge for as long as possible and return with full contraction of the glutes, enjoy the float.
- TGU: pulling the straight arm back in the roll to elbow trying to keep the palm on the ground, big chest in tall sit position, head position at standing pose.

In the end, you can only concentrate on one topic at a time. Dial that in, until it becomes second nature, and then proceed to next point of attention. That is how I trained in ballroom dancing (talking about a technical sport!). The more you can keep body awareness throughout (the day), the easier it becomes to switch between attention points.

Oh, one thing I often focus on during swings that I don't see mentioned a lot is balance over my feet. I try to keep my weight balanced evenly throughout each rep from heel to toe and side to side. Side to side is rarely a problem for me at this point, although I see a lot of people who tend to roll onto the outside of the foot.

I find that when I stay evenly balanced, I feel more solidly rooted, smoother, more fluid and more powerful. We teach people to "sit back" into the hinge, and often cue weight toward the heels to facilitate a good hinge and avoid being pulled forward, I think it is relatively uncommon for people to stay evenly balanced. This is probably more of a personal preference than a problem. I've heard the saying, "Lift though your heels in the weight room, play on your toes on the field (or court)," but aesthetically, I like the idea of rooting through the whole foot.

There was a recent thread on triple extension swings, and if you ever try them you will probably find that balance is a big adjustment. The triple extension swing rewards even balance. Even as your heels raise and lower, if your overall balance shifts too much, it will be hard to maintain and it will be hard to produce much force.

To me, practice is a laboratory and a learning experience. So practice is always evolving -- the opposite of permanent.

I like that whole post, but especially this!

For me when doing swings I am constantly reminding myself "tukus back" as in push that tailbone back and steal a glance at my shins to make sure they're as close to vertical as possible. Not hinging enough/pushing the hips back is the most common defect, you'll even see accomplished folk doing it from time to time if their concentration drifts.

For the get-up I want to feel the weight balanced in motion, balanced at rest. If your form is off it won't feel well supported and if it isn't supported it won't feel balanced.

For Swings: My main thought/analysis is if I could produce even more Power. At the top I focus on letting it float a little longer than what I normally used to do and also bracing abs and the exit entry.

So, Power, brace and float.

For GU: No jerking movements. Stay in every "section" a bit and stabilize body.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom