all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Wrist Flexion stretch versus Wrist Extension stretch

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

joemac

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi.

I work with a keyboard all day long and now use kettlebells too, and also lots of pushups. I have recently started stretching my wrists in response.

Here is what I do (not me in the pic). In Pavel's book he calls this the #15 "Wrist Flexion". I can do the form of this stretch easily and it feels great after.
1612243460432.png

However, the #16 one is called a "Wrist Extension" (I can't find a pic online of the form), which is the same as above, except the palms are facing above rather than facing the ground. This one is very difficult for me to do, my wrists feel uncomfortable, and I cannot maintain my arms in a straight position like I can do in the first stretch.

My goal is to prevent injury from keyboards/kettlebells/pushups. What is the best approach for me? Is the first good enough for now? Or do I need the second too?

Thank you.
Ilya

Hi IIya, which of Pavels books are you referring to, just so I can have a look at the stretch you are referring to?
If my understanding is correct you want to be in the same as the image above but with palms facing upwards?
If so perhaps the way you are trying to get into the pose is the difficulty?
May I suggest that from the pose you are comfortable with, move your hips rearwards to be in 'Childs pose' Have your arms under you to the space between your legs and now turn your palms upwards and fingers pointing towards your rear.
Place your bodyweight now into your trunk and bring your hips forward again to where you were.
You should be able to control the weight going through your arms/wrists between the strength of your trunk and the weight placed on your knees. (if your knees get sore, double up a yoga mat underneath) Your arms should almost be bearing no weight.
You should now be in a comfortable position to put as much 'wrist extension' in as you are comfortable with. Take it gradually, when there is pain, go no further. Over time you should achieve your goal unless there is a medical condition/injury which is preventing progress.
Hope my understanding of what you are trying to achieve is correct and my advice helps a little.
You ask if you need this variation, I think it is at least worth a try. Wrist mobility is an excellent and worthy goal. If you decide after trying that it is not for you then at least you have attempted and learned from the experience.
Also during your attempt and it may sound silly, but remember to breath through your diaphragm, it can be all too easy to forget to breathe when you are apprehensive entering an unfamiliar pose.

Last edited:
In Pavel's book he calls this the #15 "Wrist Flexion".

However, the #16 one is called a "Wrist Extension" (I can't find a pic online of the form), which is the same as above, except the palms are facing above rather than facing the ground.
This is an odd way to label things.... If you pull your knuckles back ("up") towards your elbow, that is extension. Your extensors are on the "top" of your arm, the same side as the back of your hand. Vice versa for flexion and the wrist flexors: Your flexors (and wrist flexion) are on the palm side of your hand.

If I had to guess, he wrote it that way meaning, "#15 stretches your flexors" (because you are moving into wrist extension) whereas #16 (the way you describe it) "stretches your extensors," because you are moving into wrist flexion. Hopefully that makes sense.

It is not uncommon for peoples' extensors to be tight, as you describe. Just find a position where you feel a gentle/moderate stretch, as @Lotto suggested above.

Try putting your wrists into flexion (pull your palms "down" towards your elbow) and then curl your fingers and try to make fists. You can also gently stretch them as described above, and then try to make fists while the backs of your hands are on the ground. Key words here are "Gentle" and "moderate." If you feel shooting/sharp pain or get tingling or numbness, go see a physio asap.

Hi IIya, which of Pavels books are you referring to, just so I can have a look at the stretch you are referring to?
If my understanding is correct you want to be in the same as the image above but with palms facing upwards?
If so perhaps the way you are trying to get into the pose is the difficulty?
May I suggest that from the pose you are comfortable with, move your hips rearwards to be in 'Childs pose' Have your arms under you to the space between your legs and now turn your palms upwards and fingers pointing towards your rear.
Place your bodyweight now into your trunk and bring your hips forward again to where you were.
You should be able to control the weight going through your arms/wrists between the strength of your trunk and the weight placed on your knees. (if your knees get sore, double up a yoga mat underneath) Your arms should almost be bearing no weight.
You should now be in a comfortable position to put as much 'wrist extension' in as you are comfortable with. Take it gradually, when there is pain, go no further. Over time you should achieve your goal unless there is a medical condition/injury which is preventing progress.
Hope my understanding of what you are trying to achieve is correct and my advice helps a little.
You ask if you need this variation, I think it is at least worth a try. Wrist mobility is an excellent and worthy goal. If you decide after trying that it is not for you then at least you have attempted and learned from the experience.
Also during your attempt and it may sound silly, but remember to breath through your diaphragm, it can be all too easy to forget to breathe when you are apprehensive entering an unfamiliar pose.
Here is the first one.
IMG-1222.JPG

Here is the second one.
IMG-1223.JPG

Both are from "Relax into Stretch".

Both stretches are clear and well explained, so I would suspect you are doing them correctly. It is unfortunate you are finding difficulty in doing 'wrist extension'
Perhaps try the excellent variation shown by bluejeff and gradually aim for Pavels variation?

Based off those pictures, it’s exactly as I thought. As far as function, it doesn’t matter how they’re labeled. Both perfectly fine, the key is to reduce pressure and and range of motion if you’re experiencing anything worse than a stretching sensation.

I would also suggest the following:
-Hold your arms out in front of you or by your sides (either is fine).
- do the following in both extension and flexion (the two positions Pavel is demonstrating)
- attempt to makes fists without letting your wrists move. I.e. your wrist should STAY in flexion or extension, but your fingers open and close as if making a fist
- it doesn’t matter if you can’t fully make a fist; just go as far as you can without a lot of strain
-do about 10 reps in each position, THEN:
-rotate your whole arm 180° so your hand facing the other way, and then repeat
-you can do this with your elbows flexed as well, like the top position of a chin up.

-Flexion and extension, make fists in each position, turn arms/wrists 180°, repeat with flexed elbows

If that’s confusing I can try and post pics or a video.

This is a really simple drill that will help to balance grip in your forearm. If you get a crazy forearm pump that’s normal ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom