all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Your Warm-Up Is Killing Your Workout... and Gains

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
As some of you might already know, I am far away from being an expert. I will just share my own experience of exercising for 1.5 years. Warm up and injury relation for BW exercises. (Nothing else)

I never do warm up. I have never got injured because of this, even a bit. ( PS:I do train BW, and light KB due to mobility issues) I have got three injuries so far. One was serious and I got a knee surgery, the other two went (one still is there but fading) away thanks to SJ and GTG.

All my injuries were towards the end of my sessions, very well warmed up but did not follow SF signs of ending a lift.

I like S&S style warm up. Helps mobility, as well as greasing the patterns and building up resilience. This style of warm up as far as I understand, working the patterns that you are not focused on, to a certain level without fatigue. I believe it makes a lot sense.

W Barbells, I would listen to experts and do warm up.

Greg Everett's warmup has formed the base of my warmup. I'll usually add ankle circles and neck circles.

He then has other warm-ups ("activation" or "priming" might be a better term) specific to SN, C&J done with an empty barbell.

Last edited:
Honestly, this whole thread makes me scratch my head.

Warm ups for athletic practice have been part of my life since I first started in competitive athletics when I was, gosh....10 years old?

It's activity specific, highly individualized and you have to go by *feel* as what is needed may vary not only by the day's planned activities, but what needs more attention on any given day.

I think the prime skill is to know how to listen to your body.

Then take it from there, to wake things up 'enough'.

It's not that complicated.

Maybe that's a completely retarded question, but what's the actual case for warming up before a GPP workout? Meaning, what is it exactly supposed to do? I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely curious.

Myself, the only thing I do is the pump stretch from ROP - it seems to "realign" my spine from the twisting caused by bed and daily activities. Sometimes I will also do such "cuing" movements for specific lifts, to refresh or exaggerate a correct movement pattern. But here and elsewhere I encounter the notion that "warming up" is about literally raising the temperature of muscles and/or joints (for what purpose?), or about reducing "muscle viscosity" (what is that?).

There is a temp/ metabolic turnover rate that effects cross-bridge linking among other things, esp at higher output and movement speed.

Warm ups for athletic practice have been part of my life since I first started in competitive athletics when I was, gosh....10 years old?

I think that was the whole point of the article and this thread. Just because a person have always done something doesn't mean it's the best way. Now I'm not saying you HAVEN'T been doing it the right way, just that the point of the article was to get people to think about what they are doing rather than just mindlessly do it because they have always done it.

Earlier this year SF had a newsletter regarding warm ups (maybe more than 1), and it talked about how for pure strength activities it is unnecessary and can be harmful, but on the spectrum the more you go towards power you may need more warm up. It was specifically regarding the TSC snatch test, but can be changed to match other work of course.

For me PERSONALLY, I find I only really need warmups on strength movements for squatting, and mainly because I do my strength practice at 5am. My joints just don't move as well until a few minutes of bending and squatting down, but total "Warmup time" for me is generally 3-5 minutes. For deadlifts, pulls, and pressing, I just go right into the strength movements with progressively heavier weights, and really the only time between sets is what it takes to add more weight and get setup again. I'm weak and both undersized (in my muscles) and oversized (in my belly) so what I do means nothing, but thought I would throw it out there since there's a lot of views on it posted here so far.

Just because a person have always done something doesn't mean it's the best way. Now I'm not saying you HAVEN'T been doing it the right way, just that the point of the article was to get people to think about what they are doing rather than just mindlessly do it because they have always done it.
True.
Recently I changed up my warmup to include a lot more things on advice from my coach and on reflection it has made a difference in performance. My warmup that I used for everything (the basic S&S warmup) worked fine for S&S. But when using it for conjugate style training it didn't seem to be enough for me.

I think that was the whole point of the article and this thread. Just because a person have always done something doesn't mean it's the best way. Now I'm not saying you HAVEN'T been doing it the right way, just that the point of the article was to get people to think about what they are doing rather than just mindlessly do it because they have always done it.

If people are mindlessly doing the same thing from session to session for warm-ups, they're already doing it wrong, IMHO.

I almost never do the same warm-up routine, even for the same planned activities, in two different sessions because my readiness varies from session to session.

I'm conflicted about the subject.

Personally, I can go fast and with very little warm-up, if at all, even straight to reasonably heavy loads. But if someone feels better after a warm up, I say it's better to feel better than not.

The classic question is, does a lion warm up before chasing her prey? In a sense, I agree.

However, before the main course, it makes sense to have an entree. Move, try to move better, get some volume and GPP in. If it draws away from your bottom line, you're not in shape, and you would do better in your sport, if you were.

I'm conflicted about the subject.

Personally, I can go fast and with very little warm-up, if at all, even straight to reasonably heavy loads. But if someone feels better after a warm up, I say it's better to feel better than not.

The classic question is, does a lion warm up before chasing her prey? In a sense, I agree.

However, before the main course, it makes sense to have an entree. Move, try to move better, get some volume and GPP in. If it draws away from your bottom line, you're not in shape, and you would do better in your sport, if you were.
Pretty sure I've never met a person that could take down a water buffalo with their face and hands.

If people are mindlessly doing the same thing from session to session for warm-ups, they're already doing it wrong, IMHO.

I almost never do the same warm-up routine, even for the same planned activities, in two different sessions because my readiness varies from session to session.

I jump rope for 3-5 minutes, doesn’t matter if I’m doing resistance, HIIT. This is just enough to get a little warm.

Only when going for a rare jog do I not warm up at all.

his guys seem to be maintaining their gains.

Weightlifting is a little different, to me, in what constitutes warm-up sets vs. working sets. For example, from my Monday program (these are % of 1RM):

A) Snatch - 60%/2, 65%/2 70%/1 (75%1, 80%1, 85%1) 2
B) Clean and Jerk - 60%/2, 65%/2 70%/1 (75%1, 80%1, 85%1)2
C) Front Squat - 65%/4, 75%/3, 80%2, (85/2)2
D) Clean Pull and Shrug - 70%/3, (85%/2)2, (95%/2)3

I would consider all of these to be "working sets"... just not all "top sets". My warm-up was prior to these.

In contrast, when I was training more like powerlifting, a session from 2018 (in lbs, with 2x5 45 = 2 sets of 5 at 45 lbs), I would distinguish warm-up sets from working sets, and have more separation between them:

SQUAT: Warm-up sets: 2x5 45, 1x5 95, 1x5 145, 1x3 165 / Working sets: 5x5 190.
PRESS: Warm-up sets: 1x5 45, 1x5 65, 1x3 85 / Working sets: 5x5 91.5
DEADLIFT: Warm-up sets: 1x5 135, 1x3 185, 1x2 235 / Working set: 1x5 270

Can someone post an example of a warm up that is killing gains?

This might be the same working sets as above, but with "minimal warm-up":

SQUAT: Warm-up sets: 1x5 45, 1x3 145, 1x 165 / Working sets: 5x5 190.
PRESS: Warm-up sets: 1x3 65 / Working sets: 5x5 91.5
DEADLIFT: Warm-up sets: 1x5 135, 1x3 185, 1x2 235 / Working set: 1x5 270

And this might be "way too much warm-up" (killing gains... I'd be fatigued before the working sets):

SQUAT: Warm-up sets: 2x5 45, 1x5 95, 1x5 145, 1x5 165, 1x5 180 / Working sets: 5x5 190.
PRESS: Warm-up sets: 1x5 45, 1x5 65, 1x5 75 1x5 85 / Working sets: 5x5 91.5
DEADLIFT: Warm-up sets: 1x5 135, 1x5 185, 1x5 235 1x5 255 / Working set: 1x5 270

Can someone post an example of a warm up that is killing gains?
warm-up
Bend and reach
5-10 reps
Rear lunge
5-10 reps
High Jumper
5-10 reps
Rower
5-10 reps
squat bender
5-10 reps
windmill
5-10 reps
Forward lunge
5-10 reps
Prone row
5-10 reps
bent-leg body twist
5-10 reps
Pushup
5-10 reps

more than 10 reps if the instructor is feeling frisky.
more than 20 is frowned upon.

I have always found this to be ridiculous. for almost 20 years...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom