all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Your Warm-Up Is Killing Your Workout... and Gains

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Well, for my cat, it seems to prefer a lot more the preys it hunts to the cat food I buy. It doesn't eat before hunting, and will only go back home at night in the summer if the hunt wasn't good (and will then devour whatever I serve). Small rodent hunting is not a bug for me, it's a feature. I live adjacent a few undeveloped lots in a stone walled house. Before I had a cat, mice were a regular occurrence in the house. Enough that traps were not a very good option. Had to use poison. Now, I can get one or two a year, but that's it. How do I know the mice are eaten? 1 - I often find in my yard half-eaten mice (cat usually leaves the intestines alone). 2 - Some day, I barely have to feed the cat, sometimes down to a third to half the usual winter quantity, when the cat doesn't go out as it hates snow.

My one-eyed cat brings home the carcasses (mice, moles, baby possums, bunnies) with the skull cap removed and the brain eaten.

So apparently his rather price high end cat food doesn't taste as good as fresh brains.

Curious, on what base do you consider your thoughts on what leads to injury?
In the past, I didn't get injured often, but when I did, it was towards the end of a session. If lack of warmup was the problem, I would have expected the injury to occur early in the session, not late. Injuries used to occur because I pushed for "one last set" that wasn't there. I haven't been injured in 2 years now, as once I feel I'm getting too tired for good technique, I just stop the session, even if that's not "the program". The only occasion I don't stop even if tired is when competing (in my case, tennis league), and I have to finish the match.

So, my thoughts are based on personal experience. I warm up a bit, but not the extensive warm ups that were taught when I was younger (run for 5-10 minutes, do a lot of static stretching stretching, etc...).

One of my cats is a total foodie....brings home her kill and eats it from her bowl. Fine dining. Everything but intestines.
Maine Coone, dunno if that cultured gastronomy is particular for that breed,
Not sure if that is cute or psychopathic.

Trial and error (for me) is that if I don't warm up enough:

1. Post-workout soreness and stiffness is higher
2. ROM isn't as good
3. More likely to 'tweak something' or get some other localized twinge, because movement pattern is off or asymmetrical
4. Measured bar velocity is lower -- things just aren't firing at full force
5. Reaction time is slower
#4 raises a good point. My first set isn’t always my best effort, but the point here is that I can warm up with a working weight not a “Barbie“ weight.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom