all posts post new thread

Kettlebell GS and body type

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
exactly, using the movements/ exercise to improve sport or real world performance rather than just increasing numbers by efficiency techniques or specialized mechanics..
the powerlifting equivalent would be the guy just laying down on the bench and pressing with a flat back as opposed to one who's arched so much their butt in on the bench in name only.
One might be lifting more but are they stronger?

One might be lifting more but are they stronger?
Actually I think that is an question because in some ways it seems to me, you are moving the effort around, distributing it differently depending HS or GS or hybrid. Just for example, I currently am fairly limited by grip which means that is limiting my potential work load more than strength of posterior chain or any other set of muscles. So at least in some ways I could work my overall physiology harder/longer by minimizing rather than maximizing grip stress.

everybody is limited by grip on a hardstyle thick bell :) especially on high rep sets. BUT there are numerous variables in grip aspects as well; lots of technique to master in HS as well to minimize grip stress in long sets
If you want to maximize your conditioning than interval training where the grip is not the limiting factor would seem to make more sense than lower intensity longer sets

I actually switched to gs style kettlebells because my hands are small enough I was being stalled moving from 16 to 24 kg. I could do TGU's w/ the 24 and swings but nothing that really tested grip like even drop/catch from rack. It even seemed that grip was limiting my ability to do cleans. And my hands are not "weak" just not much in the way of real estate. Once I made the switch I found I could do longer sets and have been working my up. For other reasons I felt the need to back down to a 12 kg bell but for me at present, even after being able to do 10X10 swings w/ 24 kg in the S&S test time, going 35/35 one set snatches w/ 12 kg is challenging. Couple of those sets and a couple similar of single handed long cycle and that's plenty enough work for the day. I find I really like the handles on the sport bells a lot; I can grip those w/ confidence at least for sets of cleans with 20 kg. Since I switched, I have been making rapid progress in endurance-strength it seems to me. Fringe benefit is not worrying about losing my grip and bashing a hole in the wall of my apartment HAH!

all the gs bells have the same diameter as a 12 kg hardstyle bell. the grip technique in gs is also dependent on having long enough fingers to 'hook' the bell ( in snatches ) so there might be limited progress for you there as well. but whatever works!

I found doing heavy one arm swings with progressively heavier bells for even low ( 5) rep sets really builds my grip even more than deadlifts did.
I remember just starting my heavy swing training and sets of 5 with the 36 kg really challenged my left hand's grip that soon adapted and now the 52 kg bell with an almost 6" diameter handle is ok :)

My hands are small enough that the only way I could hang on to a 24 kg was really wrapped up in my palm. Doing only S&S I was building pretty big calluses fairly quickly and having to sand them down daily and always felt like they were pretty irritated and in danger of tearing. Now doing much longer sets of snatches with the thinner handles (today my "heavy" day I used the 16) I have barely any calluses built up, just a very thin layer; I spend about 15 seconds w/ my little "cheese grater" tool once every week and 1/2 or so. Even with the thin handles I can't do a "real" hook grip with thumb locked over index finger but I can catch/hold the bell out on my fingers enough to bypass my palms except for the occasional "bad" rep when I get a slight pinch

Reactions: Rif
welcome. I just checked the book and the more than 50 reps and one hits diminishing returns is not from there. Perhaps it was in conversation. In the beginning kb comps in russia were " military applied sports" and more for creating better soldiers than kb sports competitors.

I don't have it in front of me, but I recall reading Pavel quoting some Spetznaz guy who said that 50/50 reps with a 24k in the snatch, or 50 reps long cycle with 2 24k's, is the point of diminishing returns for a combat athlete. As I recall the context, the point was not that there is no advantage to working up to higher reps, but simply that it will not make you a better fighter.

yes I wish I could remember where I saw that. The point was, was that after 50/50 one needed to rely on more sophisticated efficiency techniques that weren't about getting stronger or more conditioned but were more of a technique "hack" than anything else

I don't have it in front of me, but I recall reading Pavel quoting some Spetznaz guy who said that 50/50 reps with a 24k in the snatch, or 50 reps long cycle with 2 24k's, is the point of diminishing returns for a combat athlete. As I recall the context, the point was not that there is no advantage to working up to higher reps, but simply that it will not make you a better fighter.

yes I wish I could remember where I saw that. The point was, was that after 50/50 one needed to rely on more sophisticated efficiency techniques that weren't about getting stronger or more conditioned but were more of a technique "hack" than anything else

It's in the Enter The Kettlebell! book page four. Anatoly Taras said that. Sorry for the little belated answer.

Reactions: Rif
May throw in a curve ball for body type?

So, I have been blessed to have a shorter left femur. Consequently, I had a c-curve(corrected by my chiropractor). Now, I’ve been using kb’s since 2015, and have a lift in my left shoe. I wear high top chuck Taylors for my kb’s and have worked up to 32k kb.

Is it wise, for me to attempt barefoot, as recommended by pavel or to just continue to lift in my shoes?

@J. Fox, welcome to the StrongFirst forum, and I don't think we can provide a simple answer for you. Whether or not you can lift barefoot and without your lift is something for you to discuss with your doctor and, with his/her permission, experiment a little with.

Please ask your doctor and report back here.

-S-

My doctor would prefer that I wore my lift, so I continue to maintain spinal alignment.. which I feel is a good idea as well(bad posture, weak structure.. weak structure, weak body and technique)

If you are not in competition, but practicing, could you not do barefoot using a small platform of the appropriate height under the left side? Assuming of course that both feet are stable with no chance of slippage of feet or platform.

@Twa2w But why complicate things? He's got a custom lift that works, shoes that fit... And zero risk of slipping; shoes won't just fly off his feet. K.I.S.S. and play safe.

Agreed. Chuck Taylors, with there limited cushioning, are close enough to lifting without shoes.

BTW: Who diagnosed the shorter femur?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom