all posts post new thread

Kettlebell If You Could Decide What's Next ...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I like that "Choose Your Own Strength" option too. This would naturally include an expanded Naked Warrior and a study of what combinations of exercises achieve what effect towards what goal and why one would choose one path over another. The immediate lack that I felt when I read and trained with the books I bought was a holistic entire framework of reference combining everything together. Evidently this had not been yet created, and it's to Pavel's enormous credit that he does not get ahead of himself as much as it's to his credit that he keeps updating his programmes as he deepens his own studies and research. I understand the concept of "We are a school of strength: we teach and guide but ultimately you do what you want with the knowledge you get", but I still think this gives us too much credit to develop our own programming. I would never ever ever in a million years have created an S&S system for myself, for example. I also think you're giving me too much credit if you think I would know why to choose S&S over ROP or vice versa.

+1
I'd be happy to buy the "Plan Strong" manual separately without the workshop part.

Another option: maybe something with bodyweight/calisthenics/gymnastics. Chstistopher Sommer makes a lot of money with Gymnastic Bodies stuff - very expensive programs for bodyweight skills, stretching, tumbling and even nutrition. He is very experienced, but does not understand strength programming very well and refuses to use iron where it is needed - according to his ex-associates and students. Many of his clients aren't progressing and are disappointed.

I think Pavel's skill at programming could be a deadly effective alternative. A program to get Handstand Pushups, Front Levers, One Hand Chinups, Pistols, One Arm Pushups, Splits - that would be a valid SF program. "How to achieve and maintain skills, become strong and flexible - and what tools (kettlebells and barbells) to use and how to program all of this? Pavell tells you.." - that could better sell than "Convict Conditioning".

Definitely this. After hearing a lot about gymnastic training from the MMA world and Pavel's friend Tim Ferris working with Coach Summer I'd be extremely interested to learn more about this and think it could be a good income source for Strong First with an online video course.

Something along the lines of Power to the People for those of us who use the barbell on a regular basis.

It has to be extremely hard to come up with anything innovative and effective in the Fitness Industry today with so many major, and minor fitness YouTubers, gurus, and styles of training out there selling their philosophy or training program. In the last 200 years has everything been done. You can only reinvent the wheel and repackage research, and application so many ways.

Pavel's books are awesome, but I like to take from different sources and make it my own. I particularly like all the tips, tricks, and tidbits. Maybe he will go from foundational, simple programs, to an advanced and complicated program. I long for the pre internet days where we just lifted stuff over, and over, until we could lift heavier and heavier stuff. We tend to make things more difficult than they need to be.

We seek "the best", or fastest, or easiest. Repackaged, decades old basic knowledge, 5 exercises you must do, 8 weeks to..., and foods you must, and must not eat. Move better, lift better, eat better, sleep better. Easy.

I'm sorry. I come from an old school of hard work, lots of time with the weight in your hands, and drilling fundamentals. I was taught to view progress over years, not weeks, or months, at a young age. I am not an expert. Many, many people are stronger, and better than me. I do not have great genetics. I am overweight. I will not run a marathon. I have mobility issues. I do need improvement. I have no pain. I am strong. I work hard. I know myself. Don't F with me. I simply enjoy lifting and continuous learning.

I don't pay attention to 99% of the information out there, but I greatly value and respect members of the Strongfirst organization, and Strongfirst forum participants.

Last edited:
After reading the Where Is Pavel? thread, I thought it might be interesting to ask:

If you could pick the title of Pavel's next book, what would it be?

If it makes sense, in few days I'll take your suggestions and put up a poll. One idea per person, please, two maximum but no more.

My own vote would be a press program paired with either S&S style swings ("Pressing Made Simple & Sinister") or with barbell deadlifts ("Pressing Power To The People").

So, what's on your wish list?

-S-
This may have been mentioned but how about Simple warrior
Combine Kettlebell training with bodyweight training.

I know someone mentioned Sinister warrior a few posts back but this is another alternative

Road to the Beast
I'd love a book about a program that kind of focuses on the Beast Tamer Challenge -> a program ultimately consisting of a routine involving weighted pullups, weighted pistols or another form of squat, heavy 1-arm presses and some swings.
It should include detailed progressions on how to go from just bodyweight squats & lunges to goblets squats, single KB frontsquats & weighted lunges to pistols and finally weighted pistols and pullup progressions from only 1 bodyweight pullup to multiple pullups to weighted pullups.***

Otherwise like many others here I'd like a ROP 2.0.

***to me the ultimate goal as a KB user would be to become a beast tamer and I think many people around here feel the same. There a routines focusing on the press, the pullup or the pistols, but nothing that combines all of them. Most of the time if you try to combine them by yourself you end up with some bastardized thing that's not working.
S&S and ETK produce results without you having to do any guesswork. Just follow the routine and you will progress. I'd love to see something so simple and easy to follow for the beast tamer challenge.

Last edited:
In the last 200 years has everything been done. You can only reinvent the wheel and repackage research, and application so many ways.
And the vast majority of that stuff is crap. The fact that exercise science is only 200 years old shows how brutally it is still in its mere infancy. I'll again plead general ignorance, but I looked around a lot for exercise guidance, and other than Pavel's stuff, it's rubbish. If the right knowledge were out there we'd all be a fit nation of sexy looking movie stars/athletes. Instead we're lethargic, sickly, fat fillintheblanks.

Quite obviously everything has NOT been done! :)

@Kozushi There are vast amounts of professional effective training methods, and research. Modern forms of weight training with incremental loading is new in terms of human history, but undoubtly humans have always trained, and competed for strength and survival in some form. Barbells, ketttlebells, and gravity, and how to use it to develop strength, stamina, and power have been around long before Pavel, and will be around long after. The human physiology, weights, and gravity do not change,

Pavel has the rare ability to compile, and apply vast amounts of reasearch , and inspire you to learn and apply his condensed version. He inspires confidence that you can be a better human if you read, and follow his instructions.

The right knowledge is out there for people to take advantage of, and much of it is free. The results are not free. It is a large investment in time, money, and energy to achieve a strong, resilient, healthy body. In the modern world strength dose not have a lot of value for most people. You are not working long hard hours, hunting and gathering, going to war, or fighting for survival. The majority of people do not get enough exercise, and a very small percentage do any meaning full form of weight training. People are inherently lazy, it must be tough to find dedicated clients if you are a coach or trainer.

I have trained with a few coaches and many talented, knowledgable lifters who were not published, or had a YouTube page, but that does not diminish them to me. I learned a lot from them, and they learned what they know for others, and their experience. Just as we learn a grow together through the open exchange of knowledge and experiences. And on it goes.

And the vast majority of that stuff is crap. The fact that exercise science is only 200 years old shows how brutally it is still in its mere infancy. I'll again plead general ignorance, but I looked around a lot for exercise guidance, and other than Pavel's stuff, it's rubbish. If the right knowledge were out there we'd all be a fit nation of sexy looking movie stars/athletes. Instead we're lethargic, sickly, fat fillintheblanks.

Quite obviously everything has NOT been done! :)
I respectfully disagree with your statements.

Kettlebell: Powerful and Precise, advanced techniques for the strong and the stronger.
I like this one a lot. It has a good synergy with Kettlebell: Simply and Sinister, yet suggests advancement. Very cool. And it would still fit for an ROP 2.0, so I'm all on board.

Road to the Beast
I'd love a book about a program that kind of focuses on the Beast Tamer Challenge -> a program ultimately consisting of a routine involving weighted pullups, weighted pistols or another form of squat, heavy 1-arm presses and some swings.
It should include detailed progressions on how to go from just bodyweight squats & lunges to goblets squats, single KB frontsquats & weighted lunges to pistols and finally weighted pistols and pullup progressions from only 1 bodyweight pullup to multiple pullups to weighted pullups.***

Otherwise like many others here I'd like a ROP 2.0.

***to me the ultimate goal as a KB user would be to become a beast tamer and I think many people around here feel the same. There a routines focusing on the press, the pullup or the pistols, but nothing that combines all of them. Most of the time if you try to combine them by yourself you end up with some bastardized thing that's not working.
S&S and ETK produce results without you having to do any guesswork. Just follow the routine and you will progress. I'd love to see something so simple and easy to follow for the beast tamer challenge.
There is Andrew Read book about this topic :)

Also - i Think there is gonna be some connection with all the test protocols.. so maybe a book designed to train for Tacical Strength?

What a great thread! So many good ideas.

I'll just say, "Anything." I'm glad that someone like Pavel with something to say is able to take the time away from all the noise of life and develop his knowledge into something valuable that can be shared. I think that was my biggest takeaway from the Tim Ferris podcast with Pavel -- his work methods, and the way he protects his time and stays out of the fray. Most of us desperately need to cultivate these habits in order to bring our contributions to the world.

There is Andrew Read book about this topic :)
I already own it :) but there are two things I dislike about it:
a) I'm sure I read an article from Andrew saying something about that his aproach is a bit outdated and that he would do it differently now.
b) His routine involves double KB work, band work and barbell stuff. ROP and S&S are minimalistic, you just need a couple of single KBs (and maybe a PU bar if you do pullups with your ROP). I'd love something so minimalistic for the beast tamer book.

I like the idea of a combined barbell ,kettlebell and bodyweight program
The bosses approach to this really would make me the best version of myself with the least chance of injury

@Kozushi There are vast amounts of professional effective training methods, and research. Modern forms of weight training with incremental loading is new in terms of human history, but undoubtly humans have always trained, and competed for strength and survival in some form. Barbells, ketttlebells, and gravity, and how to use it to develop strength, stamina, and power have been around long before Pavel, and will be around long after. The human physiology, weights, and gravity do not change,

Pavel has the rare ability to compile, and apply vast amounts of reasearch , and inspire you to learn and apply his condensed version. He inspires confidence that you can be a better human if you read, and follow his instructions.

The right knowledge is out there for people to take advantage of, and much of it is free. The results are not free. It is a large investment in time, money, and energy to achieve a strong, resilient, healthy body. In the modern world strength dose not have a lot of value for most people. You are not working long hard hours, hunting and gathering, going to war, or fighting for survival. The majority of people do not get enough exercise, and a very small percentage do any meaning full form of weight training. People are inherently lazy, it must be tough to find dedicated clients if you are a coach or trainer.

I have trained with a few coaches and many talented, knowledgable lifters who were not published, or had a YouTube page, but that does not diminish them to me. I learned a lot from them, and they learned what they know for others, and their experience. Just as we learn a grow together through the open exchange of knowledge and experiences. And on it goes.

I respectfully disagree with your statements.
That all makes sense. I suppose the problem is that it's difficult, particularly for "Snow Mexicans" like me to access experts like this.

My vote definitely goes to a Naked Warrior sequel. More emphasis on BW-only (plus minimal equipment) would be great, particularly for those who find GTG to be less practical.

Said sequel should also cover GPP as well as pure strength; a bodyweight S&S if you will - some form of short workout of pistols and OAPUs that covers both strength and 'conditioning'. Granted, there is enough info in the StrongFirst blog to put something like this together yourself (I know I have), but to have it in a book would be wonderful.

I'm glad that someone like Pavel with something to say is able to take the time away from all the noise of life and develop his knowledge into something valuable that can be shared. I think that was my biggest takeaway from the Tim Ferris podcast with Pavel -- his work methods, and the way he protects his time and stays out of the fray. Most of us desperately need to cultivate these habits in order to bring our contributions to the world.

+1 This. A thousand times this.

If I can be so bold as to make a second suggestion, it would be to add something gymnastic and/or feat of strength style. Some/many of us dont have a particular sport/martial art/operator job that requires specificity. Strength for its own sake is fairly well covered by pavel already. So a "get strong to do these cool things" would be something I'd buy in a heartbeat. Whether it be gymnastic oriented like backflips, planches, levers etc or strength feat oriented like nail bending, card tearing, whatever. I have no idea how much practical cary over "feats of strength" have, but they interest me. They seem like good goal motivators, and if nothing else are a much more convenient way of showing off than carying a barbell or KB to the park or beach! :)
Title? Maybe just Feats of Strength. Demonstrable Strength? Heck, he could call it The Arcane and Nebulous Business of Applying Force via Neuromuscular Pathways for the Edification and Entertainment of All. I'd still buy it!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom