all posts post new thread

Kettlebell If You Could Decide What's Next ...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
...GPP, which is what S&S is, doesn't make sense to evaluate as a percentage of completion towards a goal. It's kind of like evaluating the percentage of completion of a house once the foundation is built - you could, but so much would depend on what the plan was for the rest of the house, and so many different houses could be built upon a single size and shape of foundation, that it doesn't yield a meaningful result....-S-

True, percentage complete is not the same for everyone because of their goals above the foundation and measuring it at 80% is not technically accurate. Regardless, more house is meant to be built. I suppose the point is more about identifying what kind of house to build and what materials and designs are best suited. I think it would be good to understand why someone would use brick instead of wood above the foundation. Maybe that's the title, "Above the Foundation"

My thought is that S&S or any GPP is like a road that takes you to a crossroads. I think it can be confusing to identify which road will take a person to their final destination or what belongs on the road they want to take and why. In many cases, being at the crossroads is the destination.

After reading through so many great ideas, I realized that many of our suggestions are typical for the already converted crowd of the StrongFirst community.

From Pavel's point of view, more than likely he is considering every option but mainly "how can I expand the business?" He already has us, so how does he put out a great training manual AND attract new "customers"?

Pavel and his team understand marketing and producing a cool product so that is covered. So if you look around the landscape of untapped ways to apply his system I can think of 2 areas people would be interested:

MMA training and Tactical Special Operator training.

He could go any number of training directions with both of these and find cool ways to integrate his marketing / partnership ideas.

Expanding the business and the global reach of StrongFirst, sounds good to me...,

I do like the concept @Bro Mo, but I agree with @Steve Freides, but for a different reason (though I can get there from his reasoning, so he may have meant this as well). The problem with extending anything beyond the foundation is that there are *so* many options. Like Steve said, you can build many houses from the same foundation, and which house you build will depend entirely on your goals. Trying to do that in a single book would be pretty much impossible and starts going into the realm of sport specific training, which really should be customized to the athlete and the sport (or at least, it seems that way to me...I'm not an athlete or a coach, so who knows), to address the weak points for that specific athlete, which are probably different than for a different athlete.

That having been said, I could actually see an "Above the Foundation" (agree with @Swann 1, LOVE that title) series, that addresses some sport specific training, one sport (or class of sports) at a time. So something like "Above the Foundation: Combat Sports", "Above the Foundation: Climbing" (my personal goal), "Above the Foundation: Soccer", "Above the Foundation: Ball Carrying" (American football, rugby, and so on), etc.

I suppose the point is more about identifying what kind of house to build and what materials and designs are best suited.
I believe this is rightly the domain of sports coaches, e.g. Barry Ross and sprinters, Steve Baccari and boxers, etc.

-S-

That having been said, I could actually see an "Above the Foundation" (agree with @Swann 1, LOVE that title) series, that addresses some sport specific training, one sport (or class of sports) at a time. So something like "Above the Foundation: Combat Sports", "Above the Foundation: Climbing" (my personal goal), "Above the Foundation: Soccer", "Above the Foundation: Ball Carrying" (American football, rugby, and so on), etc.

+1

The TSC would be a good sport specific goal above the foundation SF could dive into writing about.

The TSC would be a good sport specific goal above the foundation SF could dive into writing about.
Not trying to pick on you, but there are several excellent TSC routines in the blog already.

-S-

After reading through so many great ideas, I realized that many of our suggestions are typical for the already converted crowd of the StrongFirst community.

From Pavel's point of view, more than likely he is considering every option but mainly "how can I expand the business?" He already has us, so how does he put out a great training manual AND attract new "customers"?

Pavel and his team understand marketing and producing a cool product so that is covered. So if you look around the landscape of untapped ways to apply his system I can think of 2 areas people would be interested:

MMA training and Tactical Special Operator training.

He could go any number of training directions with both of these and find cool ways to integrate his marketing / partnership ideas.

Expanding the business and the global reach of StrongFirst, sounds good to me...,

@natewhite39 raises a very good point. Pavel Tsatsoline is the guy to expand the market. There are plenty of very good people here to preach to the choir. Pavel put out a lot of very good stuff. S&S was a brilliant addition to his body of work. This company seems to appeal to old-school masculinity (or grit, rugged individualism, military, LEO, etc.) in a time when "toxic masculinity" has become a thing some people worry about.

I'm not going to out guess this guy. I guess the question is, who is missing? And how can Pavel appeal to them thereby helping himself, the company, and all of the certified trainers earn a living?

This has become a much more interesting thread. Now I eagerly await the next move. Can he repeat the success of S&S?

I see it this way:

Pavel can either spend the rest of his life throwing great programs at us (which is fine: they can be reused) OR he can teach the public how to program themselves for various goals and purposes.

At the most basic level it comes down to how he answers the basic question "How am I the most effective teacher I can be?"

So yes: +1 more for PLAN STRONG.
I would love to see Plan Strong as well, I'm just that type of guy. I'm impressed by the programs I've used so I want to know more about why they work. Failing to satisfy the why question, "how" may scratch the itch. Failing that, at my current age, I am thoroughly pleased that anything actually lives up to the hype these days.

If Plan Strong was released, how would it be received by the people trying to earn a living branding themselves with SFG? Is Plan Strong giving it all away? "Why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free" so to speak.

Can the principles of programming be reverse engineered? Say, from a statistical analysis of some of the programs?

No worries Steve, as long as the conversation helps define the next book - whatever it may be. I wouldn't discount anything because of it's existence on the site though. I feel like there is a lot of solid programs within the blog and forums that could be expanded upon - especially for people that aren't already here. This conversation brings me to feeling more confident about something programming the 3 implements of SF together.

Another idea I have in this brainstorm is spawned from a program I like from "Purposeful Primitive" along the lines of one thing per day but specific to SF movements. Hit one movement with tons of focus/practice each session/day and rotate through a few coming back to them before they degrade or using them to feed another when you come back to it. Using movements as the waviness of load rather than the load itself. Kind of the anti-thesis of GTG maybe?

I kind of ramble when it comes to brainstorming so I might have to cut myself off or I will have 50% of the posts in this thread before long.

@November Delta Attending a PlanStrong Summit is worth it if you can. Pavel was both firm and flexible with his instruction as he opened up the floor to many questions. He even smiled once!

IMG_0744.JPG

As far as reverse engineering the programming, he already has distilled the best concepts from his personal experience into PTTP, NW, PM, ROP, and now S&S.

From the consumer perspective these programs are much more cost effective, easier to follow and implement into everyday life compared to preparing a team of Soviet athletes for an Olympic weighlifting competition.

Here is a cool article from Craig Marker with additional details about the Soviet programs Pavel translated:

4 Secrets of Soviet Weightlifting (As Revealed by Pavel)

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom