all posts post new thread

Kettlebell If You Could Decide What's Next ...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I like this one a lot. It has a good synergy with Kettlebell: Simply and Sinister, yet suggests advancement. Very cool. And it would still fit for an ROP 2.0, so I'm all on board.
Yes, that's another good title, and it piques your interest.

From a beginners perspective; an introduction to training under the StrongFirst system for cardio, strength, power, endurance, flexibility, correctives, breathing and training vs workout. Not in that order or a complete list, but prioritized from a SF perspective. Maybe a mouthful, but an introduction only, to create some pegs for a beginner to hang the information as we experience the path of getting stronger. A bit like the "Easy Strength" Book

I didn't come up with any cool names, but I have thought about future Strongfirst books, and am hoping for one or more of the following:

1) Al Ciampa's finished military fitness manual, and/or a collaboration between Pavel and Al Ciampa on specific programming for military/LEO.

2) Strongfirst bodyweight manual/programming and/or an expanded NW.

3) Breacher Strong Manual, diving deeper into that material and how they can be blended and programmed further.

1. "Plan Strong"
  2. "The last 20"
First idea: I think anything around programming would be great. Especially to parrot those that have mentioned combining barbells, kettlebells, and bodyweight.

The second idea: I think S&S is an example of a program that takes anyone 80% toward any goal. I would like to see something around the remaining 20%. Probably have to dedicate a good chunk to goal setting and identifying the correct things most applicable to specific goals.

"The last 20"

The second idea: I think S&S is an example of a program that takes anyone 80% toward any goal. I would like to see something around the remaining 20%. Probably have to dedicate a good chunk to goal setting and identifying the correct things most applicable to specific goals.

Love this concept.

2. "The last 20"

+1, specially the good chunk to goal setting

I think S&S is an example of a program that takes anyone 80% toward any goal. I would like to see something around the remaining 20%. Probably have to dedicate a good chunk to goal setting and identifying the correct things most applicable to specific goals.
If I may, I'm going to disagree with the premise here.

GPP, which is what S&S is, doesn't make sense to evaluate as a percentage of completion towards a goal. It's kind of like evaluating the percentage of completion of a house once the foundation is built - you could, but so much would depend on what the plan was for the rest of the house, and so many different houses could be built upon a single size and shape of foundation, that it doesn't yield a meaningful result.

One of the reasons S&S is so great because you can focus on it (think of it as building your foundation) and then put it on the back burner (think of this as maintaining your foundation, something you need but a house foundation doesn't) while you go about your activity- or sport-specific training.

-S-

If I may, I'm going to disagree with the premise here.

GPP, which is what S&S is, doesn't make sense to evaluate as a percentage of completion towards a goal. It's kind of like evaluating the percentage of completion of a house once the foundation is built - you could, but so much would depend on what the plan was for the rest of the house, and so many different houses could be built upon a single size and shape of foundation, that it doesn't yield a meaningful result.

One of the reasons S&S is so great because you can focus on it (think of it as building your foundation) and then put it on the back burner (think of this as maintaining your foundation, something you need but a house foundation doesn't) while you go about your activity- or sport-specific training.

-S-
Which are all things I'm finally starting to truly understand. S&S can indeed be my only activity, in which case I do everything pretty hard and shorten the rest periods, keep moving up in weight, or I can lighten it up to accomodate other activities. One of the best pieces of advice recently was to tell me to go back to the 32 and be sure to do the swings one handed. I'm much more impressed with my results now than when I was doing the 40 two handed.

Yes, S&S "by the book" is 1h swings. For certain people and purposes, 2h may be better, but without a specific reason, stick to being able to do 100 x 1h swing like it's your every-day job.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom