Less is More

Going to experiment with the following template:
Session A:
OHS 32k
TGU 16k

Session B:
OHS 24k
TGU 24k/32k

@Anna C, I was also contemplating using 32k two hand swings to 1) build my lungs and 2) preserve the forearms for the 32k TGU work.
Work my way into 32k 10x10 THS in 5:00. THS's make it so much harder to breathe that by the time my grip has adapted with lots more OHS/TGU practice the conditioning aspect will be in the bag.

For now I will just stick with my A/B plan, but keeping this one in my back pocket.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea, too.

Up 5:15, train 6:50
Extended relaxation warm up

OHS:
32k, 10x10
15 breaths between sets
Foci:
- Keeping hamstring tightness while flexing knees appropriately
- Keeping the Alpha Male generals apart (ears and shoulders apart)
- POWERFULLY swinging the bell chest high

TGU:
16k, 5x1
15 breaths between sets
Foci:
- Recruiting abs and obliques by keeping the torso glued to the floor until sit up
- Keeping the head down during the roll to elbow as much as possible
- Squeezing the knees together on the upward lunge

I'm usually excited to train. Today took willpower. However, I am excited to have a planned day off tomorrow! I am building up fatigue; this is a good sign of course.

Up 5:15, train 6:50

OHS:
24k, 10x10
10 breaths between sets
Foci:
- Keeping the Alpha Male generals apart (ears and shoulders apart)

TGU:
24k, 5x1

15 breaths between sets
Foci:
- While keeping wrist flexed in and arm straight, pulling arm down into the body

I should of at least done the warm up moves yesterday. My joints felt better, but I felt de-conditioned and sloppy from no training yesterday.
I might experiment with making my Tues-Wed fast only 20 hours as well, so I can take BCAA's and get in at least an off-day's worth of training at the end of each fast.

Last edited:
Up 5:30, train 7:15

OHS:
32k, 10x10
15 breaths between sets
Foci:
- Keeping the Alpha Male generals apart

TGU:
16k, 5x1
15 breaths between sets
Foci:
- While keeping wrist flexed in and arm straight, pulling arm down into the body

I was amazed at how explosive! my swings were today.

I have figured out how to sleep better. Eat a larger share of my daily calories for breakfast and lunch, and smaller/lighter dinners.

Up 5:15, train 7:00

OHS:
24k, 10x10
10-15 breaths between sets (whenever I was ready)
Foci:

TGU:
5x1
24k, 32k, 32k, 24k, 24k
15-20 breaths between sets (whenever I was ready)
Foci:

My upper back was stuck together today. Way too many hours sitting at my desk this week. :-\ This made it challenging to keep good forms. Despite this, the session was 51% easy, 49% hard. I'll take it!

Up 6:00, train 7:30

Fasted Measurements
Bodyweight: 170.4
Down 35 pounds for the year!
Waist: 32 & 7/8

THS, ultra light/volume control work:
16k, 10x10
10 breaths between sets
Foci:
- Keeping the shoulders over the ankles
- Keeping the bell pulled in on down swing
- Hooked arms, mostly lats and tall spine

TGU:

16k, 5x1
12-15 breaths between sets
Foci:
- Flexing the loaded wrist in towards the palm
- Pulling the loaded arm into the body
- Squeezing knees together on lunge up

I love these volume control days with the 16k. Huge recovery boost. The THS is great for refreshing my upper back.

Up 5:30, train 6:25

OHS:
32k, 10x10
15 breaths between sets
Foci:

TGU:
16k, 5x1
15 breaths between sets
Foci:
- Learned that if I focus on keeping unloaded leg close to ground before the roll, it makes the lift smoother

I need to adjust the A/B format. My lower back and hips are not recovering from the increased weight and the added 6th day of training. Thinking I may need to take one 32k OHS 'set-pair' down to 24k. It doesn't need to be a large adjustment as the 90/90, QL straddle, Adho Mukha Shvanasana, and Brettzel stretching are almost letting me recover enough. I'm just a wee bit shy of the required recovery capacity; it won't take a large adjustment to keep me on The Path.

Up 5:30, train 6:25

OHS:
24k, 10x10
10 breaths between sets
Foci:

TGU:
5x1
24k, 32k, 32k, 24k, 24k
15-20 breaths between sets (whenever I was ready)
Foci:
- Pushing hard with the bent leg
My carpet is too damn grippy. As an experiment, I wore socks today when I trained. It was a success: I was able to make small adjustments to foot positioning that paid big dividends. During the TGU and OHS I was able to root to the ground better than I ever have. I've been putting up with foot pain for a few weeks, and finally realized it was because my foot was getting glued into an improper position. It recruited my calves so much more that they're twitching a little bit post-training as I type this up :)

Satisfying practice.

Planned day off.
Up 6:00, train 7:00

3 rounds of gob sq/sf hip bridge/halos.
No swings/get ups.

Felt limber and strong after this; love these days.

Up 5:30, train 6:45

OHS:
10x10
24, 32, 32, 32, 32
15 breaths between sets
Foci:

TGU:
16k, 5x1
15 breaths between sets
Foci:
- Learned that if I focus on keeping unloaded leg close to ground before the roll, it makes the lift smoother
- Pushing out with the heel of straight leg

Ugh, this was rough. Lower back was much better, but hips are still carrying fatigue. In the QL straddle, I'm having a hard time relaxing the muscles on the top of the leg that are closest to my torso; hip flexors? This mostly impacts the swing, in that I have difficulty keeping the torso straight and getting the hips back.

Might need to consider taking a few days off, or perhaps going back to just 5x a week training while I break ground in the TGU with the 32k. Or modify my A/B plan so that OHS and TGU 32k are on the same day.

Hmmm

Go for a deep tissue massage, works wonders. And, maybe just stretching and rolling on the floor, baby-style. This can loosen things up too.

And, maybe just stretching and rolling on the floor, baby-style.
Oh baby.

You make a good point. The weather is beginning to be cold nasty blowy rainy here, so I haven't been going for my long walks. A workaround I did last winter was to crawl slowly a few laps around my place, focusing on letting the hips wake up and engage.

Also, it's possible the sessions are slightly too aggressive while I'm focusing on body re-composition. I shouldn't need to get fancy working into Simple. Keyword: Simple.

"If you do not have heavy days, you do not need light days. Making the training load consistently moderate makes planning training a no-brainer. Just bang out 100 daily swings and ten get-ups like brushing your teeth. All of your attention is on technique and power, and zero brain cells need to be involved in analyzing the workout and planning how to change it."
- Pavel, S&S

Something like this:
OHS
TGU
Taking a step back in the swing, to take a step forward in the get-up and a step forward overall in terms of using the 32k in both moves in a single session. And doing it strongly.

Then the standard 'off-day' protocol when I'm dragging my tail.

Sounds good. When in doubt, go back to the program as written. And don't hesitate to regress to progress... that works too.

Up 5:30, train 7:00

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 32, 32
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
5 x 1
24, 32, 32, 24, 24
Focus:
- Precision

This went great! Strong, powerful, precise.

Relaxation warm up + gorilla crawls (crawling, but with upright-ish posture on fists)

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 32, 32
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
5 x 1
24, 32, 32, 24, 24
Focus:
- Precision

I learned a very important TGU lesson today. In the roll to elbow with the unloaded arm, I was kicking the elbow out. If I mentally pulled the elbow in hard, as if to execute an elbow strike, the roll to elbow was far smoother. No idea how I did not notice this before, but I am grateful my girya brothers continue to teach me how to move!

Another strong session.

Up 5:00, train 8:30
Trained at fasting hour 24 after BCAAs

Fasted Measurements
Body weight: 170.0
Waist: 32.5

Two Hand Shadow Swing:

24k, 10 x 10
15 breaths between sets
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
16k, 5 x 1
Focus:
- Precision

Very good session.

Relaxation warm up + gorilla crawls (crawling, but with upright-ish posture on fists)

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 32, 32
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
5 x 1
24, 24, 32, 32, 32
Focus:
- Precision

I move; a weight is to be found in my hand.

Up 5:30, train 6:40

Two Hand Shadow Swing:

24k, 10 x 10
15 breaths between sets
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
16k, 5 x 1
Focus:
- Precision

My right elbow was creaky, but I wanted to train. So I did an 'off-day' of training instead. I'm really starting to love shadow swings.

Back
Top Bottom