all posts post new thread

Less is More

Up 5:00, no training

Fasted Measurements
Body weight: 169.2
Excited to be in the 160's range again!
Waist: 32.5

Just walking and stretching today. Big deadline coming Thursday for work, so heading in early to hit that hard.

Up 5:30, train
Relaxation warm up

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 32, 32
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
5 x 1
24, 32, 32, 32, 24
Focus:
- Precision

With the Swing I learned to keep my wrist straight, like a punch.
With the get up, I learned to pull the unloaded elbow in, and pull the loaded palm inward.

Great session.

Up 5:30, train
Relaxation warm up

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 32, 32
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
5 x 1
24, 32, 24, 24, 24
Focus:
- Precision

With the TGU left hand loaded, I learned I was keeping the right arm way too far away from the body. Pulling this in made the roll to elbow far smoother.

Feeling trashed today, may need an off-day tomorrow.

Last edited:
Up 6:00, train 7:30
Relaxation warm up

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 32, 32
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
5 x 1
24, 32, 32, 24, 24
Focus:
- Precision

With the swing, I learned more about the interconnection between the shoulder packing/straight spine/hooked arm.
Learned some more subtle clues with the TGU's unloaded elbow; can't let the loaded shoulder unpack!

Up 6:00, train 9:45
Took my BCAA's and trained at fasted hour 22 of 24

Two Hand Shadow Swing:

24k, 10 x 10
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
16k, 5 x 1
Focus:
- Precision
Learned a very important lesson for the roll-to-elbow: execute the elbow strike just before the pushing off with the bent leg.

Learned another very important lesson: I need to utilize these 'off-days' more often.
Especially during stressful work periods. My ego doesn't like them, but my body needs them. I always learn something extra from them, they unstick my upper back after too many hours at a desk, and flush healing blood through my body.

Up 6:00, train 7:30
Relaxation warm up

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 32, 32
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
5 x 1
24, 24, 32, 32, 24
Focus:
- Precision

With the swing, I learned that keeping the plank at the top helps with grip control. Also, I learned that wearing my tight winter leggings instead of loose shorts helped; I could swing the bell back smoothly without it catching on my shorts. This aided in taming the arc, which aided the grip.
With the TGU, I learned putting the 32k set 3rd helps a lot. Also, learned more about keeping the loaded arm packed while executing the elbow strike. I actually utilized my glutes so strongly in the roll to elbow they cramped a bit.

Overall, I learned that it's okay to utilize off days and to feel a beat up while I'm breaking ground with the 32k. After all, I am getting stronger while losing inches off my waist!

Yesterday and today were days off of work

Up 6:00, train 8:00
Relaxation warm up + Brettzels

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 32, 32
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
5 x 1
24, 24, 32, 32, 24
Focus:
- Precision

Today I wore my under armor compression shorts for training. Made a big difference in the swing; I was more aware of what my hips were doing. I learned I wasn't moving the hips/pelvis back far enough in the bottom of the swing, so the wrist/arm was brushing my log & atlas stones. Keeping the hips/pelvis back and inline with a tall spine eliminated this discomfort. This gave me so much more power that my grip struggled to keep up.

My rallying cry for the swing: Protect the Stones!

Up 5:00, train 6:30
Took my BCAA's and trained at fasted hour 22 of 24

Two Hand Shadow Swing:

24k, 10 x 10
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
16k, 5 x 1, with 5 second pause
Focus:
- Precision

I didn't want to train this morning. I did anyways.

Up 5:45

Was feeling a little under the weather last night, went to bed early. Woke up late, more under the weather, so no training today.

Up 5:30
Went to bed early last night, still under the weather. I'm feeling fatigue backfire after my team completed a massive, high stress project at work this week. Too much caffeine and stress catches up to you in the end.

After today though, I am on vacation from the 19th until the 28th!
9 days of:
  • naps
  • good books
  • video games
I'm playing with the idea of doing 9 days of training with the 32k:
OHS 10 x 10: 24, 24, 32, 32, 32
TGU 5 x 1: 24, 24, 32, 32, 24

:):):):):):):):):)

Last edited:
Up 5:15, train 6:30
Still bleary, but wanted to train.

Brettzels + Downward Facing Dog

THSS:
24k, 10 x 10
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
16k, 5 x 1, with 5 second pause on sets 2 & 4
Focus:
- Precision

In the THSS, the focus was on waiting in the plank as the bell was falling, and the quick-turn around.
In the TGU, it's hard to describe...but I'm learning about the hips and how proper pelvis positioning keeps the strain OUT of the hip flexor tendon and IN the belly of the muscle. Mostly, it's about tall spine + hips forward. Also hard to describe, but I'm learning how a smooth reverse to elbow on the way down takes the strain OUT of the elbow and puts it IN the belly of the muscles.

So glad I trained today. I learned a lot and felt great afterwards.

Side Note: Will not be fasting today since I got this head cold.

Up 6:00, train 8:50

Brettzels relax the hips, so my glutes can be fully utilized.
DFD relaxes and engages the calves, and activates the lats.
Great combo!

THSS:
24k, 10 x 10
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
16k, 5 x 1, with 5 second pause on sets 2 & 4
Focus:
- Precision

Stretching:
90/90 and QL Straddle

Grateful for this session! Pavel Macek's 1-2-3-4 approach to visualizing the swing is a fountain of awesome sauce.

Up 7:00, train 9:15

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 32, 32
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
5 x 1
24, 24, 32, 32, 24
Focus:
- Precision

With the Swing I learned to keep my wrist neutral and to evade the bell at the last possible moment. Grip strength on the left hand continues to progress frustratingly slow.
TGUs were...a bit wobbly today. On the bright side, I've never felt my lats working like they did today. That felt great.

Felt off today. Some days it seems like I'm years away from Simple. Could just be an off session from where I trained later than normal, and from where I was sick last week. Just gotta keep training smart, eating right, and consistently working hard.

Up 5:30, train 7:30

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 32, 32
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
5 x 1
24, 24, 32, 32, 24
Focus:
- Precision

Stretching:
90/90 and QL Straddle

I was being too aggressive with my rest periods. Today I remembered this quote from S&S:
"Rest long enough between sets to assure no drop-off in technical proficiency, get-up strength and swing power."

Since I've been screwing up here, I exaggerated my rest periods today. OHSs took around 13:00, TGU about 16:00. This cured everything that was ailing me.

When in doubt, re-read the damn book.
I will keep up my endurance by doing short rest periods on my 'off-day' shadow swings twice a week.

More relevant excerpts from S&S:
  • "Once you are doing all the sets with a heavy weight, work on dominating it. Then slowly compress the rest periods."
  • 'Remember Dr. Hatfield’s “cardio” training instructions to a power athlete: “an all-out effort... maximum contracture against submaximal resistance."'

Incredibly satisfying session.

Last edited:
Up 5:30, train 7:30

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 32, 32
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
5 x 1
24, 24, 32, 32, 24
Focus:
- Precision

Stretching:
90/90 and QL Straddle

I was being too aggressive with my rest periods. Today I remembered this quote from S&S:
"Rest long enough between sets to assure no drop-off in technical proficiency, get-up strength and swing power."

Since I've been screwing up here, I exaggerated my rest periods today. OHSs took around 13:00, TGU about 16:00. This cured everything that was ailing me.

When in doubt, re-read the damn book.
I will keep up my endurance by doing short rest periods on my 'off-day' shadow swings twice a week.

More relevant excerpts from S&S:
  • "Once you are doing all the sets with a heavy weight, work on dominating it. Then slowly compress the rest periods."
  • 'Remember Dr. Hatfield’s “cardio” training instructions to a power athlete: “an all-out effort... maximum contracture against submaximal resistance."'

Incredibly satisfying session.
I really enjoy how consistent you are. You seem a little further along in achieving the time standards for Simple than me. I like reading your daily training. Keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom