all posts post new thread

Less is More

Up 5:30am

Day off.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
- Teddy Roosevelt

Last edited:
Up 5:30, train 8:00

Brettzels + Downward Facing Dog

THSS:
24k, 10 x 10
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
16k, 5 x 1, with 5 second pause on sets 4 & 5
Focus:
- Precision

Stretching:
90/90 and QL Straddle
30 and 20 deep slow breaths per side, respectively.

Learned something interesting with stretching today. When I spend a few moments in the top position visualizing and relaxing it was easier to 'unwind' into the groove. My muscles felt like a steel coil unwinding on a reel.

Ahh I felt so great after this session even though it took me a while to get started today.

Up 6:00, train 8:00

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 32, 32
Power

TGU:

5 x 1
24, 24, 32, 32, 24
Precision

Stretching:
90/90 and QL Straddle

OHS: Performed a set every 1:15
- I am developing better body awareness and the ability to adjust on the fly. A small thing, but important.

TGU: Performed a set every 3:30 - 4:00
- I am smoothing out the interaction between the elbow strike and the glute drive.

Both these intervals are almost leisurely. Almost. As I start to stack more sets with the 32k, it will ensure that each rep is “an all-out effort... maximum contracture against submaximal resistance.”

I am developing better body awareness and the ability to adjust on the fly. A small thing, but important.

Yes, very important. I'd say it's one of the most effective thing against small "back tweaks" and other tiny mishaps that can happen during training. Many people aren't aware of these, they just know they feel creaky and sore later, and don't know why.

Agreed! Pavel's approach to "stretching" helps, since relaxation and breath control are emphasized. Relaxing a muscle requires control of the muscle.

Muscular and breath control learned with stretching pays dividends with the lifts.

I used to hate stretching, but seeing this approach help my lifts makes me look forward to stretching.

Up 5:00, train 7:00

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 32, 32
Power

TGU:

5 x 1
24, 24, 32, 32, 24
Precision

Stretching:
90/90 and QL Straddle

OHS: Performed a set every 1:15
TGU: Performed a set every 3:30 - 4:00

I finally woke up my lower legs via the bottom of the goblet squat. Also, the veins in my feet and forearms are starting to look awesome.
Satisfying!

Up 6:00, train 7:30

THSS:
24k, 10 x 10
Focus:
- Power

TGU:
16k, 5 x 1, with 5 second pause on sets 3 & 4
Focus:
- Precision

Stretching:
90/90 and QL Straddle

My TGU needs some work on the get down with the unloaded hand. Today I learned I'm not keeping the hand in line with the knee, so correcting that helped bunches.

Planned day off today with the fasting. Again, just walking and stretching.

Needed the days off for my elbow anyways. I hurt it years ago while doing heavy steel bending and heavy shirted benching in the same cycle. Fool.

Every once in a while it gets pissed off at me. A short period of time away from training works wonders. 3 days off will be a godsend.

Up 5:00, train 7:00
Brettzels

OHS:
10 x 10
Power

TGU:

5 x 1
Precision

Doubling down on my fat loss/calorie deficit/fasting. I will be cutting back on the 32k work for a while. Perhaps one set per exercise.

Up 5:00, train 6:45

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 24, 24

TGU:

5 x 1
24, 24, 32, 24, 24

OHS: I experimented with moving my stance out just a bit. It helped with the quick turn-around and keeping my hips and torso squared together.

TGU: Learned something exciting.
I used my VF Kettle Shields today. Made me realized I wasn't 'curling' my wrist in nearly hard enough. If you don't curl your wrist in hard while wearing these the bell shimmies around the wrist like a stripper on a pole. A side effect of this correction is that the bell is now centered between my forearm bones. Previously, it would rest on one bone or the other. This puts undue stress on the elbow, which is why my elbows are constantly sore. Happy to finally diagnose this!

Is the downward dog practice helping your ankles and calves?

@Anna C, yes thank you for that tip! I'm chained to a desk for 8-12 hours M-F. Adding that was a massive step forward.

The increased stability in the feet/ankles/calves let's me sit stronger in the bottom of the goblet squat. This lets me spend more time in the squat position. Which allows me to better loosen up the hips/hamstrings/low back, and in turn helps the feet/ankles/calves. I can finally relax in the squat position while keeping a tall spine. It works beautifully in my warm up system.

Up 5:00, train 8:00

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 24, 24

TGU:

5 x 1
24, 24, 32, 24, 24

Stretching:
90/90 and QL Straddle

OHS: Keeping the torso straight and narrow, waiting to evade the bell.

TGU: The big bell taught me I was carrying the bell too far back in the hand. I made a small adjustment, moving the handle towards the wrist. It put my get-up game on easy mode. Made it easier to engage the wrist/elbow/shoulder/lat complex. It especially engaged the forearms; I felt like popeye!

Last edited:
“My idea of the modern Stoic sage is someone who transforms fear into prudence, pain into information, mistakes into initiation, and desire into undertaking.

No KBs today, planned day off after fasting day.

Just stretching, and watching the snow fall.

Forgot to set alarm, over slept training time :(

Will get in some light training this evening so the day isn't a waste.

Up 5:00, train 5:00PM

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 24, 24

TGU:

5 x 1
24, 24, 32, 24, 24

Stretching:
90/90 and QL Straddle

OHS: Learned that keeping a tall spine helped control the desire to evade too quickly on the way down
TGU: Never felt better!
Learned that keeping the handle in towards the wrist risk exposed a host of things I was doing wrong. I would catch my body trying to do a bad thing and make an adjustment on the fly.

A pleasing, high-energy session.

Up 5:00, train 6:45 am

OHS:
10 x 10
24, 24, 32, 24, 24

TGU:

5 x 1
24, 24, 32, 24, 24

OHS: Learned that keeping the bell towards the wrist, and keeping the wrist attached to the bell was awesome.
TGU: Learned that when the bell felt a little too far towards the wrist in setting up, it was actually perfect.
These two things made managing the wrists in both lifts something I didn't have to think about at all.

Wrist boy: Do not try and manage the wrist. That's impossible. Instead...only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Wrist boy: There is no wrist.

Back
Top Bottom