all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 10 000 Swings as a long life routine ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hey,

@Bam
Today, I did my first 500 OA swings with a 28kg..

I splitted it in sets of 10 reps, for each arms: 10 right, 10 left, 10 right, etc... Thus I did 250 left and 250 right.

My time was 26 minutes. It'ss quite challenging ! One of the main problem during this workout is the hand sweat. Indeed, the sweat makes the grip harder... Generally, I did one set on my right, one on my left and I wipe my hand and the kettlebell handle.

This challenge is physically demanding. I don't think it is really doable after a standard training session. In my opinion, it's better to do it several hours before / after another physical activity. I believe I keep doing it.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Reactions: Bam
question again, why to do it ? what's the goal of routine ? as far as I'm concerned it is to shake things up and do a "challenge" - which is meant to be done SOMETIMES... There is something like SAID principle, there is also need to rest and change things.

Hey,

@Bam

I splitted it in sets of 10 reps, for each arms: 10 right, 10 left, 10 right, etc... Thus I did 250 left and 250 right.

My time was 26 minutes. It'ss quite challenging ! One of the main problem during this workout is the hand sweat. Indeed, the sweat makes the grip harder... Generally, I did one set on my right, one on my left and I wipe my hand and the kettlebell handle.

This challenge is physically demanding. I don't think it is really doable after a standard training session. In my opinion, it's better to do it several hours before / after another physical activity. I believe I keep doing it.

Kind regards,

Pet'
nice first day - i commend you for beginning what will be a worthwhile challenge. i would do this as a stand alone program - but you may have better recovery abilities than i do - i think following the S&S breakdown of 10L, 10R is smart as this is a marathon undertaking, so maintaining technique first and foremost is important and splitting into sets of 10 will help you with that. i think that limiting your other training activities is recommended. since you can swing a bell close to 1/2 your bodyweight one handed you certainly have the strength and the endurance is more about managing your pace than anything else - 26 mins seems quick to me, but again this is you not me - i would say the only limiting factors will be keeping your mind on the prize and keeping your hands in good shape, free from blisters and breaks. best of luck, keep swinging.

Hey,

Today, I did the second training.

Concerning the time, I used a chronograph. It's like yesterday, 26 minutes. I train with a kettlebell for almost a year now, almost every day. Before, I was more resistant than strong. With this kind of training, I firstly increased my strength and secondly my endurance. Thus I suppose my "natural endurance" is helping me a lot to do the 500 in 26 minutes.

Referring to the program and its management: yesterday morning I only did the challenge plus stretching. During the day, some GTG is quite doable. I did pistols, OA push ups, and trials to OA chin ups.

This morning, I was not tired or whatever. Nevertheless, I agree you the fact that it would be difficult to maintain a "rigid" training and the challenge.

I will make a little minutes when I will finish the challenge if it interests.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hey,

@Bam

Kind regards,

Pet'
Nice! You did them one-armed? Wow. I was thinking more along the lines of mixing it with two-handed swings. I should actually try it myself sometime, I don't think I'd get 500 one-arm swings in 26 minutes at this point. I was thinking it would be a nice workout to do once a week.

Keep up the good work.

Hey,

@Bam
Yes I do them one-armed. I do 10 reps with my right arm, then (without rest) I do 10 reps with my left arm. Then, I take 10s to wipe the sweat on the handle and on my hands. Then I repeat...until 500. Finally, I do 250 right and 250 left.

There is a quite fast progression. For the moment, I don't reduce the workout time, but I feel pretty less exhausted now (3 trainings if I count today) than after my first workout (saturday). The schedule is 2 days work, 1 day off.

I think, as you said, that it is a nice workout to do once or twice a week, to maintain a good cardio - endurance / strength ratio. For the moment, I do it correctly (all workouts), but I think that I will keep one or two "swing sessions" in the future.

Kind regards,

Pet'

ok Pet - youve got me going - i started this weekend - objective is 10,000 1H swings with the 32kg ( i weigh 90kg) by March 1st. i got in 500 on Sat and 1,000 Sunday( am and pm sessions of 500 each) and 500 Monday. today i am off. i am not in the CV shape you are in as my sessions take between 40 and 45 mins. i differ in process from what you descibe as i am doing 10L rest 15-20 secs 10R rest 15 to 20secs, etc. taking my time, making sure form is spot on, good hip hinge, good bell height without extra help from arms, contraction of glutes and abs and bracing from floor up, breathing properly each rep, etc., etc. only downside to report so far is a tear on my left middle finger and a blister under the callous on my right ring finger - tape up and move on. also have a pretty sharp cough and some congestion so that's not helping - but it hasnt reached my chest yet - so onward - see ya at the finish.

How about 10000 swings for progression? This is how I did it about two years ago. I started out with a 25 lb. KB, after the first workout I was gassed! After 5 workouts I was able to go to a 35 lb. KB. I tweaked the program to do a full body workout three times per week.

10 swings
frt. squat 1 rep
15 swings
frt. squat 3 rep
25 swings
frt. squat 5 rep
50 swings

I then continued this swing/rep scheme for bench, pull-ups, presses, and dips. Pull-ups and dips were actually 3,5, & 7 reps.

I used the 35 lb. KB for 9 workouts and then went to a 45 lb. KB until I got through 20 workouts. My times for this workout were in the 50-55 minute range.

In the end, I was using 215 lb. for frt. squat, 235 for bench, body weight for pull-ups, 125 for shoulder press, and 40 lb. for weighted dips.

Most importantly, doing this workout seemed to help with the lower back problems I've had for years and hooked me on kettlebells.

Now, this isn't how the program is written but due to a screwy work schedule I wanted to do it this way rather than just one other lift per w/o. Everything works for 6 week or so. : )

Hey,

I use to do kettlebells for a while. Now, I am kind of addict, I use them almost everyday. When I am not at home (holiday, travelling for work...) I practice NW.

Concerning the 10K challenge, I consider it as it is designed : a challenge. My aim is not to convert it in a long-term routine. Basically, I just want to improve my work capacity thanks to a tough and short routine. I considerer it like the "Insanity" program, but in a kettlebell version.

When I'll finish, I think I'll keep a part of it: may be 2 sessions a week (still of 500 swings, but trying to break my record each time). Referring to this concern, I designed my potentially future program in the thread called "opinion on my program (general physical preparation)", in the kettlebell forum.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom