all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

You just have to find the deadlift style that suits. It may take years, but when you find it you know this is it. For me, it is wide stance conventional deadlift.

Just do not overcomplicate it. Get the slack out of the bar and then let your instinct lead the movement. That works for me at least.

ps 25 rep dips is great!
Thanks for the tips and encouragement @Spartan Agoge !

I’m sure it’ll come around.

Day 5

Press - 80 lbs x 5, 90 x 5, 100 x 5
80 lbs x 5 x 10 sets

Chins - 25 lbs x 3 x 5 sets, BW x 3 x 5 sets

Cable High pulls - 25,25
Dbell bench - 50 lbs x 25,25

Sled push - 90 lbs x 10 laps

The volume is really killer. Looking forward to getting to AMRAP for presses and dropping the high volume, now that there’s a press big plates for reps log.

Changed pull-ups to neutral grip w/ 25 lbs for the first five sets, namely for variety and doing more than five reps of pull-ups for 15 sets is daunting.

Chest presses felt solid.

Day 6

Gap workout

Chest flies - 15 lbs, 20 ,25 x 10
Rear flies - 10 lbs x 15 x 2 sets
Inc Curls - 20,25,30 lbs x as many
French Press - 70 lbs, 80 lbs, 90 lbs x “”
GH raises, clamshells, bike.

Well, I’m getting stronger at the dongle joint exercises which I guess is a plus. Skullcrushers weights approached top press set of the week. :eek:

Also, chest flies have always bothered my pec/shoulder since my pec tendon rupture ten years ago. They strangely feel (y)

Day 1 (Week 5)

Squat - 165 x 5, 190 x 3

210 lbs x 20, 165 x 20 (heels elevated)

BW Rows - 15 x 3 sets
Push-ups - 15,20,25

Definitely felt this set of 20. Hardest ate I’ve pushed so far. I will systematically start dropping excess of the program, as fatigue is building and I didn’t take the first reload. Nice to feel I can still push a top set. No RDLs today, and maybe ever, as long as I continued the full body sessions.

Day 2 Week 5

Bench Press - 175 x 5 x 5 sets

Inc Dbell rows/press - 25 x 2 sets w/ 40 lbs
Prowler

I’m getting bigger and lazier. Went straight to the bench with no warmup besides the bench press. This went fine. Starting to subconsciously preserve my strength for the main lifts as volume has stayed the same but load increased rapidly for bench (10 lbs per week).

The volume on hardgainers is killer. I’ve gained muscle enough to start lowering volume and doing more top set work. Final week before deload next week.

A few bench videos to look at bar path, butt, balance.

Day 3 (OFF)

Day 4

Deadlifts 1 x 10 sets @ 275

Well, the groove wasn’t grooving when I got to 275 lbs and it didn’t feel right adding weight. I noticed in my film a weird shift to my right side and it vanished when I switched my grip.

I’ve never cared to notice much where I gripped the bar, as long as it felt natural. The underhand grip seems to migrate a bit further out then the overhand hand. Anyways, trying to make the deadlift feel right and it’s a nuisance.

This careful, analytic and cautious approach really deviates from my natural desire to unleash. I’m trying to get that back.

Skipped everything else. My shoulders need a break.

Day 5

Press - 85 lbs x 5, 95 x 5, 105 x 5
85 x 5 x 10 sets

Pull-ups - 25 lbs x 3 x 10 sets

Cable high pulls - 25,25
Dbell press (slight incline) - 45 lbs x 25,25

Kb swings - 53 lbs x 25,25

Blew through the press and pull-up supersets pretty quickly and managed to wear 25 lbs for all ten pull-up sets. I’d say it was at most thirty seconds between each, taking only a moment to adjust the belt, mark the set number and catch a few breaths.

Pullups weee more efficient tbh is week as I used my own belt and a different bar. The neutral grip station is too low so I have no choice to bend my legs behind me while the squat pull-up setup is high enough to do with straight legs. I use a box to reach the bar without having to awkwardly jump with the weight and belt, plus I find it better if the weight is secured in between and behind my legs so it doesn’t swing around.

Assistance felt good. I think the minimal work the day prior gave me more energy. I swung for high reps instead of pushing the sled. I get annoyed by the sled because the area to use it is a short stretch and clutter with a million specialty bars, a giant fan, sandbags and logs. Most of the sled workout is turning the sled around, loading it and excavating it from its submerged corner.

Funny with the swings. My lats seems to be where I feel fatigue build up quickest. Probably because of the reversal push down at the top, which is quite aggressive.

Starting to subconsciously preserve my strength for the main lifts as volume has stayed the same but load increased rapidly for bench (10 lbs per week).

The volume on hardgainers is killer. I’ve gained muscle enough to start lowering volume and doing more top set work.
Once I discovered this and started driving progress through load and intensity rather than volume, it opened a whole new door to gains.

Once I discovered this and started driving progress through load and intensity rather than volume, it opened a whole new door to gains.
I agree. My best gains of training have been basically two maybe three warmup sets then an all out set. I’d do this for basically every exercise for the day besides explosive work.

I’m mainly doing volume right now as I haven’t done the powerlifts in forever (over a year) and I wanted to put on some meat on my bones (though, volume is arguably or even disproved at this point to be the main factor).

Day 6 (Gap Workout)

D-bell flies (flat bench) 20 x 10, 25 x 10, 30 lbs x 15 w/ band
Reverse flies - 10 lbs x 20 reps
Inc curls 20,25,30 x 8 reps
French press - 70,80,90 lbs x 15

I’ve gotten stronger on the isolation movements which may mean something. I’m pleased with this.
Do you plan to rotate these isolation exercises every so often, with other exercises for the same body parts, or you will stick with these and overload as much as possible?

Do you plan to rotate these isolation exercises every so often, with other exercises for the same body parts, or you will stick with these and overload as much as possible?
Oh I’ll rotate them probably every cycle or every 5th week. I’ll probably keep them similar though. I prefer free weight over machines but I can’t promise I won’t take the pec deck out for a few dates.

Oh I’ll rotate them probably every cycle or every 5th week. I’ll probably keep them similar though. I prefer free weight over machines but I can’t promise I won’t take the pec deck out for a few dates.
Since you do the basic barbell lifts every week with the 5/3/1 format, machines are more than ok for your hypertrophy day.
In fact I would prefer them for isolation exercises.

Since you do the basic barbell lifts every week with the 5/3/1 format, machines are more than ok for your hypertrophy day.
In fact I would prefer them for isolation exercises.
Mos definitely, modern data supports this. However, I’m a paradox in that even if something’s proven better, dadada, for such and such, I’ll still do what I enjoy, even if it’s slightly less effective for such a minor thing. Ie, I’ll take the long walk to the grocery store if I enjoy it’s view better.

Week 6

Day 1
Squat 135 x 5, 165 x 5, 195 x 3

225 x 16r

BW rows - 15 x 3s
Push-ups - 25 x 2s

Only got 16 w/ 225 but I ain’t even mad. Started a new job today! Which I’d only been informed of on Saturday, thus, my schedule was re-arranged, plus the stress of new work but I’m excited! Maturing is knowing there are other factors outside the gym and knowing that numbers flux. I didn’t get the most sleep or have the biggest appetite today so I’ll take it as a W.

I felt I have the strength for more but not the energy today. The reps look easier than they felt. A bit high though. Got this session done pretty quickly. Probably 35 minutes.

Best play on mute..I didn’t choose the music!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom