all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ABC + pressing volume and pull-ups

IMayAgainKnowChris

Level 5 Valued Member
I remember Dan saying that for ABC a good start would be alternating 2x and 1x per week with another program alternating the opposite (I hope that makes sense). I’m wondering how to add in pressing volume and pull-ups without over taxing myself. (Like a different training on my “off days” not adding to the ABC sessions)
I will have sets of 16/20/24’s within the next week and I have a single 32

I have ran ROP and one or two of the Giant programs (loved them all).

My pull up max is back down to 3 right now. Any suggestions would be great.

And for bonus points: I saw a video of Dan talking about HSPU and high volume back squats for hypertrophy… but never really got specific with a rep scheme if anyone has insight about that.

I remember Dan saying that for ABC a good start would be alternating 2x and 1x per week with another program alternating the opposite
PRESSING
On alternate days use a various form of a press and superset with weighted SINGLES of preferably chin ups of 10 perfect singles.
Forms of pressing - tall kneeling, half kneeling, see saw, alternating goal post/touch down or extended lock out presses, high incline, low incline. Use you strength/energy levels as your guide and prefect form. At end of the week test with your 32kg for a few sets. You can also do this more than 2x 1x a week.
My favorites are see saw, alternating goal post and extended lock out.

Dan John (outstanding guy) also had another recommendation with respect to the twice one week, once the next with the ABC. Use your heaviest pair of bells in the once a week and a lighter set in the twice a week. I think he used as an example double 24s in the two times a week sessions and 32s in the one time a week.
That’s a good idea. I’ve got the 20kgs coming so either those or the 16’s would be good for the “lighter” days.

I'm starting week #4 of a similar program. Doing a single bell ABC alternated with a pressing day using dumbbells. The presses that seem to work best for me are regular overhead presses and goal post alternating presses done in a 2,3,5,10 rep scheme. Then on pressing day I do SLDL with a sandbag. Do a lot of hiking and the SLDL helps me a lot.

Throw in some work with an ab wheel and loaded carries and this workout made a noticeable difference. My wife has made comments about the increased hypertrophy.

Dan John (outstanding guy) also had another recommendation with respect to the twice one week, once the next with the ABC. Use your heaviest pair of bells in the once a week and a lighter set in the twice a week. I think he used as an example double 24s in the two times a week sessions and 32s in the one time a week.
The more I think about it this could be a really good idea because with the 24s I highly doubt I’ll be getting THAT many sets in. But I could probably smoke it with the 16s or 20s. That would be a good way to add some volume.

I’m thinking maybe this or throwing in alternating days of one of The Giant rep schemes.

I haven’t done ABC but I have recently started combining C&P with FSQ ( KB’s ). Really love the combo, I’m only doing strength training ( dbl 28’s ) once a week while I’m building my conditioning ( swings 3x a week ) and I’ve found I’m getting more reps over the weeks.

I’m sure both front squat and press would increase quicker if I did them on their own seperate day, but I’m pretty happy my strength is definitely increasing by combining the two. I’m thinking I’ll keep this setup for the rest of the year.

I might try the ABC combo on my strength day

I just did my first sets of ABC with the 2x24. Sheesh. I only got 6 rounds in 15 min. I’m sure that number will go up thought. Totally new to double this heavy.

Great job!
Dropped down to the 20’s today. Got 10 rounds in 20 min this time. The strength isn’t the issue I just get gassed. I guess just stick with it? I’m definitely adjusting from PL rests of like 3min. Not sure if I wanna stick w the 24’s or the 20’s for it. 6 rounds wasnt a lot but it felt good to hit it heavy. 10 felt ok. Just want some more presses in the week.

Dropped down to the 20’s today. Got 10 rounds in 20 min this time. The strength isn’t the issue I just get gassed. I guess just stick with it? I’m definitely adjusting from PL rests of like 3min. Not sure if I wanna stick w the 24’s or the 20’s for it. 6 rounds wasnt a lot but it felt good to hit it heavy. 10 felt ok. Just want some more presses in the week.
The strength with the 24s will come dude. Rest is your friend, so don't be afraid to rest more. You can also have heavy/light days with the 24s/20s.

If you want more presses in a week, pick a day and do more presses! Find or build a day with light high rep presses, like 3x8-12.

Keep up the great work, don't get bogged down thinking about it! Do the work.

I listen to Dan John's Podcast every week. While I've heard him mention "you go, I go" as far as timing; I've also heard him say to do them EMOM for 30 minutes if possible. That's a good amount of volume. I hope to start the ABC w/ 20's this week and will do EMOM. Well, that is what I plan to do! I have a feeling ABC is as much conditioning as anything and I'm liable to run out of breath before strength becomes a factor.

I plan to do his recommended routine of 2 x one week, 1 x the next week. Thinking I'll do barbell squats, weighted dips, and weighted pull-ups as the alternate program. Looking forward to Dan's ABC/Hypertrophy book.

I listen to Dan John's Podcast every week. While I've heard him mention "you go, I go" as far as timing; I've also heard him say to do them EMOM for 30 minutes if possible. That's a good amount of volume. I hope to start the ABC w/ 20's this week and will do EMOM. Well, that is what I plan to do! I have a feeling ABC is as much conditioning as anything and I'm liable to run out of breath before strength becomes a factor.

I plan to do his recommended routine of 2 x one week, 1 x the next week. Thinking I'll do barbell squats, weighted dips, and weighted pull-ups as the alternate program. Looking forward to Dan's ABC/Hypertrophy book.
Yeah I really want that book to happen soon too. EMOM is too much for me just because of the conditioning. Let me know how this goes for you. I’m adding in pull-ups on the ABC days right now. Haven’t solidified the alternative day program yet though. Maybe something like the heavy days from the Giant 1.2/2/3. Not sure. Paralysis from analysis.

I started up a version of Ageless Athlete (TB for older guys). I lift 3 days per week - A & B workout. (A,B,A one week- B,A,B the next week) Workout A = BB Squats, Incline DB Bench, Weighted Chins, Workout B - Armor Building Complex 2 x 24 Kb EMOM for 30 minutes.

The ABC surprised me. I was more concerned about the presses being an issue, but it's the squats that are tough. Not really in my legs, but the tension required to "hold" everything tight. It isn't easy on the cardio but it wasn't as much conditioning as I expected. I guess I could shorten the rest period, but I'm good for now.

Back
Top Bottom