all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

Have you studied Japanese sword, and if so what ryu?

Nope. One of the many things I would love to do if several extra hours were somehow added to my week.

The karate dojo where I train is looking to partner with a guy who teaches kobudo, that may offer some opportunities.

From my experience most kobudo taught alongside karate is typically Okinawian in nature and includes, bo, jo, sai, and tonfa. All good stuff.
Actual sword stuff... kenjutsu, Iaido, iaijutsu, and Kendo, typically come from alterants lineages, and are quite different.

That all sounds right based on what I've seen. Our sensei is Okinawan, and that's definitely the style of karate he teaches, but he used to teach some kenjustu as well.

I lived in Japan for a couple of years. While I was there, a buddy of mine (another American) and I tried to get into an iaido class, but the sensei didn't accept foreigners.

Have you trained some sword art?

That all sounds right based on what I've seen. Our sensei is Okinawan, and that's definitely the style of karate he teaches, but he used to teach some kenjustu as well.

I lived in Japan for a couple of years. While I was there, a buddy of mine (another American) and I tried to get into an iaido class, but the sensei didn't accept foreigners.

Have you trained some sword art?
Yes:
ZNKR Kendo
Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido
Mizu Hi Iaijutsu
Batto Do Ryu Seiken Kenjutsu
Sekiguchi Ryu Kenjutsu
Nakamura Ryu Batto Do

Note to self: do not challenge @offwidth to a duel if there is any pointy stuff lying around.

01/03 06:00

5min samurai getups
EYFS +

01/03 13:00

Static stretching sequence x1

01/03 21:15

GSQT 3x5 40,48,28 with curl
Halo 3x5 16,20,20
Bridge 3x5 elevated feet on 3rd set
DL 2x5 305#
Pullups 6,5,4,4,4,3
Assisted pistols 3x5
BB side press 4x5 65#
Circuit x3
- Flat straight leg raise x10
- Cannonball hang 7s

01/04 06:00

60min treadmill walk / run 4.3m

01/04 13:00

01/04 21:30

5min jump rope
Heavy bag 1min on 2min off x6
Burpees 20x3 EMOM
TGU 5x1 x side 40,48,40,48,40
Cannonball KB carry x3 40
- 1 rep = 2x down and back on each hand

I was having some discomfort in my wrist doing TGU on Tuesday, didn't know why at the time. Realized today that it's some mild bruising from snatches. Maybe that indicates that I'm going too long, not taming the arc well when I start to fatigue. Or, maybe I just gotta toughen up, buttercup.

01/05 10:30

Karate practice. Good one today - some fun bunkai stuff, and heard a basic concept of our style that I hadn't hear before; protect your center line, disrupt your opponent's.

Spent most of the afternoon assembling and hanging a cabinet. Active, but yet again missed out on getting in an SE session. Probably for the best, I'm certainly feeling some fatigue from karate.

01/07 06:00

5min samurai getups
EYFS +

Couple of changes to the sequence starting today :
  • Replacing KB good mornings with SLDL. Not as much stretch on the hamstrings, but my blockage in my forward fold is at the hips, not the hamstrings. So hoping this will hope development some more mobility there. Doing the unloaded for now, my balance definitely needs some work.
  • Putting feet on the floor for pullovers. With focus on keeping the back flat, forces less cheating with back bend.
Bent arm bars felt particularly good today, got the elbow pretty deep.

01/07 21:30

Halo 3x5 16,20,20
Bridge 3x5, elevated feet on 3rd set
DL 2x5 325#
Pullups 7,6,5,4,4,4
Assisted pistols 3x5 15#
BB side press 4x5 70#
Circuit x3
- Cannonball hang 8s
- Wall handstand 20s

Interestingly, whenever I work from home I'm less likely to get in my static stretching than if I go to the office. I always seem to find some other errand or chore I should be doing after lunch.

Replacing KB good mornings with SLDL. Not as much stretch on the hamstrings, but my blockage in my forward fold is at the hips, not the hamstrings. So hoping this will hope development some more mobility there. Doing the unloaded for now, my balance definitely needs some work.
interesting thought here!
i will be following along to see how it goes.
I have found for myself that OS Rocks with my knees together help out my tight hips.... and i do "the couch" hip flexor stretch after every session helps a lot!
I just started using a belt and wrapping it around my feet to help keep my back straight when doing my fold...when I say "just started using" I mean 'just started using...' ( as in this morning)
It seemed to help with my hips and also keeping my back straight and folding at the hips only instead of rounding the back and getting false sense of improvement....

just thought I would share what I have been doing for my tight hips...

Good luck and like I said I will be following along!

yeah but you are "our idiot!"

Just glad to be part of the team! :D

I have found for myself that OS Rocks with my knees together help out my tight hips....

There's a lot of rocking in the tactical frog (which is part of EYFS), though it's knees apart - I agree, has been really good for the hips. Up till a few month ago, it felt like I could only fold forward if my back bent/rounded, now I at least feel like I'm getting some pressure on the hip without bending the back. Slow progress, but progress nonetheless.

I'm planning to start doing some OS reset stuff between movements on max strength days, since everybody seems to swear by them. I've never done them myself, but I have the book, just haven't sort of planned out a "sequence" yet. If I don't plan it, it's too easy to get distracted - forget what I did last time, etc.

i do "the couch" hip flexor stretch after every session helps a lot!

Interesting... I do a lunge stretch and a quad stretch that seem to be two halves of this. Wonder if I could hit them both with a single stretch here.

I just started using a belt and wrapping it around my feet to help keep my back straight when doing my fold...

Do you mean you then grab the belt in your hands for some stability?

I've been wondering about things like that... I can at least reach far enough to grab my toes, so in principle I could grab them as an anchor to try to stabilize a bit, and then try to relax into it more... but at the same time, I sort of like the feeling of actively trying to force myself forward with just leg/core musculature (i.e. no hands), it feels like I'm making something stronger. I've been trying to feel that on all my static stretches - some sort of pull or pry somewhere in the chain while other stuff attempts to relax. Not saying that's the best way, of course... I'm certainly no expert on flexibility.

Thanks for the pointers.

01/08 05:00

60min treadmill walk / run 4.4m

Woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep, so I got in the morning session early. Was actually a good session, it took a while for my heart rate to get up, got the treadmill up to 5.1 for a while. Actually seeing some cardiac hypertrophy? Or just a result of not getting enough sleep?

01/08 13:30

01/08 20:30

Halo 3x5 16,20,20
KB snatch 22x4 32 EMOM
- 22 sets is definitely the limit for the moment, form starts to break down.
TGU 5x1 x side 40,48,40,48,40

Skipped any attempt at a hard run. Hamstring feeling fine, but gotta try to be less of an idiot. Plus I was dog tired from missing sleep this morning.

01/09 06:00

Static stretching sequence x3

Hanging from the bar was tough this morning, some grip fatigue from yesterday's snatches. And I am in bad need of some catch-up sleep.

Volleyball tonight.

01/10 06:00

5min samurai getups
EYFS +

01/10 14:00

01/10 21:30

Halo 3x5 16,20,20
DL 2x5 325#
Pullups 7,6,5,4,4,4
Assisted pistols 3x5 15#
BB side press 4x5 70#
Circuit x3
- Cannonball hang 8s
- Wall handstand 25s

01/11 06:00

60min treadmill walk / run 4.4m

01/11 14:00

01/11 20:00

5min jump rope
Heavy bag 1min on 2min off x6
- Having trouble getting any height on my kicks today, hips feeling a bit immobile
Burpees 22x3 EMOM

Long break to take care of kids (long enough to completely cool down), then

TGU 5x1 x side 40

01/12 10:30

Karate practice.

After the last two karate practices, my hips and glutes have been pretty sore. I wonder if that's just being rusty on karate, or something else I'm doing aggravating them a bit (SLDL?).

01/13 11:00

1100yd swim
41min treadmin walk / run 3.2m

01/14 06:00

5min samurai getups
EYFS +

Some soreness in the hip flexors for a lot of the day.

01/14 13:30

01/14 21:00

Halo 3x5 16,20,20
DL 2x3 365#
Pullups 8,7,6,5,4,4
Assisted pistols 3x3 24
BB side press 4x3 80#
Circuit x3
- Cannonball hang 9s
- Wall handstand 25s

Rough session in general, just survived it.

Back
Top Bottom