all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

I really like the SMART model that @offwidth posted about. It's what I'm taught in my coaching studies.

Goals for a year is short term? Sure, a year is not a long time in the long run. And it does get shorter every year.

But a year is an awful long time to notice if something isn't right. The training should be modified in demand in shorter time frames. You mention periodic testing. I agree, we need a yardstick. Could almost call it a goal. But maybe we're getting too much into semantics there.

I guess what I was originally asking about is exactly those yardsticks that make sure you're on your way to your long term goals. I think every training block should have some kind of testing. Not a 1RM. But something. Even knowing that I was capable of doing more in training than before tells me I'm on my way, though not necessarily how far along the way. With frequent goals I get to modify the training, change what's not working, ensure the variables of volume, novelty and intensity are all taken into account in some proper manner.

I really like the SMART model that @offwidth posted about. It's what I'm taught in my coaching studies.

Goals for a year is short term? Sure, a year is not a long time in the long run. And it does get shorter every year.

But a year is an awful long time to notice if something isn't right. The training should be modified in demand in shorter time frames. You mention periodic testing. I agree, we need a yardstick. Could almost call it a goal. But maybe we're getting too much into semantics there.

I guess what I was originally asking about is exactly those yardsticks that make sure you're on your way to your long term goals. I think every training block should have some kind of testing. Not a 1RM. But something. Even knowing that I was capable of doing more in training than before tells me I'm on my way, though not necessarily how far along the way. With frequent goals I get to modify the training, change what's not working, ensure the variables of volume, novelty and intensity are all taken into account in some proper manner.
There are certain Japanese corporations that have 100, 500, and even 1,000 year plans...
Now that's not to say that they will necessarily follow them, but it shows how some folks think...

It's a fair point. I've been generally wary of setting short term targets because it's gotten me in to trouble in the past - trying to force progress on my mind's timeframe instead my body's timeframe. So to some degree I try to "let things happen". But at the same time, it would be good to learn how to make adjustments before things stagnate (or worse).

05/04 06:00

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
TGU 2x1 40
Heavy bag work

05/04 22:00

DL 1x5 350#
SQT 3x5 220#
KB press 8x1 36
Pullups 8x1 25#
Grip circuit x3

Little dose of reality today. My wife went back to work, and I was busy working right up to 17:00. Spent an hour making dinner, then we had to watch Star Wars for May fourth. So, late session tonight. Good GTG day, but too wiped for stretching at the end. Grip was surprisingly fatigued - maybe all the hanging today.

HRP 6x14
LTK 6x4
SL calf raise 6x7
RAGS 55

05/05 06:00

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
55min treadmill run/walk 4.1m
- 1W 14E (9T 1W) x2 19E 1W

05/05 17:00

Burpees 30x2
- Crusher, extension or wrist pronation between sets

I was very close to calling off the evening session due to lat and shoulder fatigue. But once I got going, burpees felt really powerful - really felt like I was getting off the ground.

On the grip work - over the last couple weeks, it's felt a bit like my grip strength has actually been regressing. I'm convinced that must be a result of increased fatigue from lifting or hanging. Today, with little prior fatigue, grip felt very strong. Could close the CoC #1 at will with either hand. Very encouraging.

HRP 3x14
LTK 3x4
SL calf raise 3x7
EOD stretching sequence x1
RAGS 56

Last edited:
05/06 06:00

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
50min treadmill run/walk 3.6m
- 1W 40E 1W (0.33ST 1W) x6

Milestone today: didn't have to reduce speed at any point in the easy run to manage HR. Progress. Of course, it's still 13+ minute miles, but I'll take what I can get.

I've really been enjoying the leg tucks lately. They're like if pullups and situps had a baby.

HRP 5x14
LTK 5x4
SL calf raise 5x7
EOD stretching sequence x1
RAGS 56

Milestone today: didn't have to reduce speed at any point in the easy run to manage HR. Progress. Of course, it's still 13+ minute miles, but I'll take what I can get.

While this is a good milestone for you, I also know that there can be benefit in deliberately reducing speed. As someone who appreciates the value of sprints, I know that the slow recovery periods are just as important to me as the hard efforts. And it helps one practice changing gears.

It sounds like you have more patience for treadmills than I do. When I used to do long distance running a lot more, I once wanted to get in a half marathon distance on a very frigid Saturday morning, and I did the distance on a treadmill. It’s been hard for me to make myself do long treadmill work since that day.......

As someone who appreciates the value of sprints, I know that the slow recovery periods are just as important to me as the hard efforts.

I would love to start working some sprints regularly, I just have too many other goals going right now, and sprints really demand some focus and recovery, I think. My goals with running right now are strictly around building capacity- making longer runs easier.

It sounds like you have more patience for treadmills than I do. When I used to do long distance running a lot more, I once wanted to get in a half marathon distance on a very frigid Saturday morning, and I did the distance on a treadmill. It’s been hard for me to make myself do long treadmill work since that day.......

I'm with you, man. Going longer than 1 hour on a treadmill can really be awful for the soul. But the thing I like about the treadmill is that there's never any excuse. It's never too hot. It's never too cold. It's never too dark. There are never too many mosquitoes. It's easy for me to just force myself to get down to the gym and get it done.

05/09 10:30

TSC @ home

Pre-judging results:

DL 475 x1, 485 x1 (PR, old PR 475), 505 miss
Pullups x9 (PR x13)
KB snatch 32 x84 (1st attempt in competition)

Mixed day. It's funny, I still got butterflies in my stomach, even though all I was doing was going down to the basement by myself to lift some weights. No matter how much my conscious mind knows that I'm not really competitive in this and it doesn't really mean anything, the lizard brain is still there chanting "let's try to win!"

DL was OK - can't be displeased with a PR, of course. I had actually intended to open at 485, but mis-loaded the bar! When I realized it, I got mad at myself, and immediately tossed 485 on the bar and did it without a rest. That was much more of a grind than I had hoped. 505 was not a bad attempt - got up to my knees, but just couldn't get past them and had to abort the attempt. Definitely better than my 500 attempt last October. I still think I'll get there this year.

Hit 80+ with the snatches, despite my back groaning after the max DL attempt - can't be anything but pleased. I think 90 will be a reasonable goal to target for this October.

I knew pullups was going to be rough going. I'm up 10#+ from where I was in October, and pullups have definitely not been feeling solid in training. Coincidence? I think not. I believe some of that extra weight is beef up top, from working the presses and pushups... but I also know that most of it is pork in the middle. Really, best thing I could do for myself is drop the extra weight - that needs to become a focus.

So... I spent some time today reading about intermittent fasting, since that seems to be the prevailing approach around these parts. It sounds so simple... just don't eat for 16 hours, what could be simpler? But nothing I've read addresses how to avoid eating one of your children when 11 AM rolls around and the survival instincts kick in.

Strong day!! I know people norm themselves against where they want to be but you are stronger than everyone I know in real life. Enjoy that.

I have been doing intermittent fasting (IF) which is really time restricted feeding (TRF) for a few years and think it’s how out body is designed. The first week or two are rough as your metabolism changes gears, but then it feels great. I would start with 13 or 14 hour fasts and see how they go. Think of it as programming. No need to start with 500 lbs.

Now any amount of snatches with 32kg is impressive, but that is nuts. Well done! Congrats on that + the deadlift PR!

RE: IF. You just have to make it a couple days and then it becomes normal. I forced myself to eat breakfast this morning before the competition and it was weird.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom