all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

Took several days off from both training and the forum, good for the leg and the mind. Not as good for the waistline, of course - I still eat like I'm training. Today it was time to get back on the horse.

8/30 10:00

39min outdoor treadmill run 3.3m
- Ave HR 130, max 140
FSPM

Nice comfortable run.

As of right now the leg is only complaining when I walk down stairs. I'll test out some swings tomorrow, and see where things are at with the TGU. I figure the squat will have to take a back seat for a while, probably deadlift too. But I feel ready to get back to work tomorrow.

8/31 06:45

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
Heavy bag + jump rope
Suitcase carry x12 48

Carries were done every 30 seconds. Not a lot of distance (about 25ft), but that got the heart pumping a bit.

8/31 21:15

Cossack shoulder dislocates 2x6
Dragon squats 2x4 20#
KB1HS 10x10 40
TGU + press 10x1 32
Random acts of squat mobility
Pullups 3x4
Grip work
Hang board

Not a bad day. Swings were solid. TGUs were a little rough - not shaky, but not easy enough for rehab mode, go lighter next time. Some general grumbling from the wrists and elbows today - sometimes seems like if one part of the body is suffering, the rest eventually commiserate.

9/1 06:45

40min treadmill run/walk 3.0m
Tac frog + pump

Sore ankles again this morning- this time, I believe a result of the squat mobility work yesterday, a lot of ankle flexing work.

First time really doing the frog in a while... OMG this is sooo taxing, I feel fatigue in the adductors for the entire day. Yet another weakness to address...

9/1 17:00

Dragon squats 2x4 20#
KB1HS 10x10 40
TGU 10x1 32
DL 5x1 315#
BP 3x5 175#
LTK 4x5
Joint plyo series

32 is ok for TGUs if I'm not adding in a press.

Leg continues to slowly improve. Real test will.be jumping at volleyball tomorrow.

9/2 06:45

35min treadmill run/walk 2.5m
Foam rolling + Bretzels
Jefferson curl x5 45#

First time I've ever done a Jefferson curl. Afterwards I felt really weird- not in any sort of pain, just really weird. I was taught from a young age that flexed spine + weight = bad, so maybe just some psychosomatic reaction.

Volleyball went well tonight- leg held up to jumping just fine, definitely on the mend.

Hey @Tim Randolph - started my jell-o regiment today. Looking forward to cherry-flavored-collagen-powered indestructible joints.

First time I've ever done a Jefferson curl. Afterwards I felt really weird- not in any sort of pain, just really weird. I was taught from a young age that flexed spine + weight = bad, so maybe just some psychosomatic reaction.
It's worth noting that Stuart McGill isn't a fan of the Jefferson Curl for people who aren't pursuing Gymnastics. (Especially for big guys like yourself). In his opinion, the exercise isn't great for longevity (or weight lifters).

I have this video cued up to the relevant portion (51:39):

It's worth noting that Stuart McGill isn't a fan of the Jefferson Curl for people who aren't pursuing Gymnastics. (Especially for big guys like yourself). In his opinion, the exercise isn't great for longevity (or weight lifters).

Thanks for the share, interesting. I can see where what I was feeling yesterday might have been some kind of weird reaction to the stretch reflex. Certainly not a feeling that made me want to jump in and do it again.

I absolutely agree with the underlying point - training like a competitive athlete of any kind isn't necessarily the best thing for longevity.

9/3 07:00

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
Crawling 45s x11
Waiter walks 28 x12

9/3 16:15

Dragon squats 2x4 16
KB1HS 10x10 40
TGU + press 10x1 28
SQT 3x5 210#
Pullups 3x4
Grip work
Hang board

I can feel that there's some weakness in the inner thigh in the squat that I think is the root of my inner quad strain. I'm thinking that I might benefit from some horse-stance goblet squat work. Figure I will replace the dragon squats in my morning warmup (which I do not log) with some horse stance work.

Pull strength has returned, thankfully - able to get chest to bar a lot today. But, it was also obvious when I pulled too explosively, because my elbows were having none of that nonsense. Slow strict pulls are where it's at.

9/7 07:45

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
Heavy bag + jump rope
Suitcase carries x12 48

Broke out some spin kicks this morning, good stuff (y)

9/7 16:45

Dragon squats 2x4 16
KB1HS 10x10 40
TGU + press 10x1 28
SQT 3x5 220#
Pullups 3x5
Grip work
Hang board

Little bit of an iffy session, swings and squats didn't feel quite right. Might demand an easy day tomorrow, we'll see.

9/8 06:45

40min treadmill run/walk 3.0m
Foam rolling, bretzels + forward fold

Good run today, but a reminder of how long this stuff takes. Run felt really good, but really only took about 15 seconds on my average minutes per mile... still a very long ways to go to get to an "easy" 10-minute mile.

9/8 17:00

Dragon squats 2x4 16
KB1HS 10x10 40
TGU 10x1 40
DL 5x1 330#
BP 3x5 185#
LTK 4x6
Joint plyo series

Good session. On swings, let the height drop a bit and focused on hitting the plank hard, much better feeling than yesterday. Solid DL. Bench feeling comfortably hard - not too easy, not too hard.

Broken sleep last night, I suspect a result of my shoulder fatigue sensitivity (challenging bench press = shoulder fatigue = poor sleep). So when the alarm went off this morning at 6:00, I blinked a few times... and suddenly it was 6:45... blinked a few more times, suddenly it was 7:30... so, no run this morning.

Volleyball went well, won all 3 against a weak team. Not the most fun games, but part of being a competitor is winning the games you're supposed to win.

Good run... but over the last few weeks, any of these 60min runs have wiped me out afterwards, just low energy for the rest of the day. I'm not liking that feeling, hence more short runs lately.

If our ancestors were trying to escape a predator and get to safety, they probably did not run for 60 minutes or more, They either quickly got to safety or they were eaten. So short runs are valuable.

If our ancestors were trying to escape a predator and get to safety, they probably did not run for 60 minutes or more, They either quickly got to safety or they were eaten. So short runs are valuable.

Quite true. The long runs were probably more the realm of the hunter/gatherer. Sometimes the pickings around the camp just weren't so good, so you had to cover some ground to find the good stuff. Hopefully when you got back to camp you could rest for a while, instead of immediately having to fight off a bear or whatever...

Back
Top Bottom