all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

I got up this morning, did my little morning calisthenics warmup... but then just didn't feel like I had a run in me. Creaky ankles partly, but just some general fatigue. Walked for a while, but called it early. Too much strength training volume, not enough room for LED? Maybe need to reduce expectations.

8/14 15:00

Cossack shoulder dislocates 2x6
Dragon squats 2x4 20#
KB1HS 10x10 40,40,48,40,40
TGU 10x1 40,40,48,40,40
DL 5x1 350#
BP 3x5 175#
LTK 4x6
Joint plyo series

Had the runner-up baseball game tonight (weird season, weird tournament). The boys killed it. My son pitched two innings - no hits, 5 strikeouts. So awesome.

Woke up this morning with a lot of soreness in my ankle- again. This time, I think I know exactly why; yesterday my wife recruited me to do some sprinting practice with the softball team, and naturally I had to demonstrate a little. But all the same, ankle soreness has been a troublingly recurring theme lately.

Anyways, I managed to gut it out and run, though I had to cut it short due to starting late.

8/18 07:00

32min treadmill run/walk 2.4m

8/18 17:15

Dragon squats 2x4 20#
KB1HS 10x10 32,32,40,32,32
TGU 10x1 32,32,40,32,32
DL 3x1 395#
BP 3x3 195#
LTK 4x7
Joint plyo series

8/19 07:00

Felt like I could have gone longer... but also felt like I might benefit from going easy and trying to get more days running this week.

Volleyball in the evening. Playing in a mask is a lot harder when it's 88 degrees outside.

You had soreness in the ankle and decided to gut it out? You've had it often lately?

When it comes to joints, how do you, or anyone, decide whether it's the reasonable choice to continue or not?

When it comes to joints, how do you, or anyone, decide whether it's the reasonable choice to continue or not?

Great question. In the specific case of running and the ankles, my experience has been that often the soreness goes away a minute or two into the run, when my HR gets above 100 or so. But I don't know what that means. Does it mean that the soreness was purely neurological in the first place, and there wasn't any real damage? Or have I just somehow trained myself to shut off that pain signal, and really I'm doing more damage? Since it doesn't feel worse afterwards or the next day, I assume I'm not doing more damage.

In the past, whenever I've had knee aches, they do not behave the same- they don't go away after a few minutes. So I do not run if I've got any sort of knee ache, I treat that pain signal as more serious.

So, I guess my answer to the question is "trial and error". Test it out with easy work, see if the pain signal shuts off. But that does mean risking doing more damage...

The last two nights I've gotten a solid 7+ hours sleep, which is good for me- and yet I wake up feeling exhausted. Not sure what to make of that. A friend said that it can actually take an adjustment period going from a poor sleep schedule to a good one, maybe that's it.

8/20 07:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
Crawling 11x45s

8/20 18:00

Dragon squats 2x4 20#
TGU + push press 10x1 36,36,40,36,36
SQT 3x3 275#
Pullups 3x3 20#
Grip work
Hang board

Feel like I'm making a little progress on the hangboard already- newbie gainz. But definitely a long way to go.

8/21 07:00

08/21 17:15

Dragon squats 2x4 20#
TGU 10x1 32,32,40,32,32
DL 3x1 395#
BP 3x3 195#
LTK 4x7
Joint plyo series

This marks the end of this 6 week block, good time for a little reflection. I'll definitely try to keep it up another 6 weeks, this has been fun - I've missed doing regular TGUs. I miss doing regular snatching, though. But I feel like the swing endurance is a good thing to work right now, and its giving the wrist some time to recover.

If things were to go as I plan, I could be back to around 400# squat, and 300# bench around the end of the year, which would be very respectable numbers. But, if course, of everything went as planned, we'd all be world-class athletes. So, we march ahead and see what happens.

Last edited:
Yes, if everything would went as planned, I would be already hitting Sinister. Fate plays nasty tricks.
400 is great number. I wish I could go back to my 335 5x5 sometimes. But not too often ?

8/22 10:00

68min outdoor run 4.7m
- Ave HR 137, max 150

Spent some time today reading about hangboard training... including reading about experienced climbers having their fingers "pop" without warning. Many years ago, I tore my Achilles tendon, and it was like that- no warning leading up to it that it was weakened, just "bang!" Tendons are sneaky devils, I guess.

Woke up Sunday with a kink in my neck. Wondering if it's just random, or if I overran my recovery somewhere. Soreness abated today, but it showed up as very weak pulls in pullup work. Frustrating.

8/24 07:00

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
Heavy bag + jump rope

8/24 21:15

Dragon squats 2x4 20#
TGU + push press 10x1 36,36,40,36,36
SQT 3x5 245#
Pullups 3x4
Grip circuit
Hangboard

When I went to bed last night I could tell I was under-recovered. So I didn't even make a pretense of it - just decided to sleep in this morning, rather than getting up for a run.

8/25 17:00

Dragon squats 2x4 20#
TGU 10x1 40,40,48,40,40
DL 5x1 335#
BP 3x5 175#
LTK 4x5
Joint plyo series

It's actually hilarious how much effect even the smallest of injuries can have on your mental state. 4 days ago I was thinking "I could be squating 400# in 4 months!" Today I was thinking "I should take a couple of weeks off!" All thanks to a dang upper back knot.

Mental state was really poor at the start or today's session, but it went pretty well. I had been dreading the TGUs with the beast, but we danced together pretty well. And DL felt great - light day feeling light. Fingers crossed that I'm feeling sharper in a couple days.

I love this thing....this is my go- to with knots...don't have to raise arms too much with a sore back already. That or even laying on a really hard ball, or some heat

Those knots suck! Hope you get it all sorted out soon.

One day you will squat 400# ;) maybe not in 4 months....

8/26 07:00

37min treadmill run/walk 2.8m

Volleyball in the evening. Felt like I was moving and hitting well, though my defense was off. Much easier playing in a mask when it's not so dang hot.

Occasional at volleyball, I will test out a pistol squat, because somehow it's easier in the sand. Today I could do "sand" pistols quite solidly on both sides. Very encouraging, and seems to indicate that my issues getting a pistol on the floor have to do with ankle/ balance rather than leg strength.

BUT... I strained something in my inner quad during the last volleyball game. Wasn't in a particularly compromised position, just happened. Which solidly indicates that my prior neck knot was not a one-off thing, it was an indication of being under recovered.

So... what did it? Fatigue from that prior heavy barbell week? The longish run on Saturday? I'm sure it was a combination of everything. Lesson is to swallow the pride and schedule more deload breaks, I figure.

Time for a little rehab break. So much for building durability ?

Boooo! :oops: :( don't know what else to say because you sound disappointed! Hang in there, maybe this time of "forced rest" will have you come up with new ideas! Take care of yourself y'hear!?!!?

Back
Top Bottom