OP 4x3 140#
Shoulder sequence

3/1 17:30

Mobility warmup
TRX pistols 3x5
BP 3x3 225#
Pull-ups 4x3 40#
Grip work

Oof, that was a lot of pressing today. Felt heavy.

Pistols are a good way to get some leg work in while letting the back rest. Unfortunately I'm still not strong/mobile/coordinated enough to do them unassisted.

3/2 08:00

Samurai getups x10
Push-ups 14,19,15,15,14

3/2 16:45

BAN practice
Circuit x12
- 0.25m treadmill jog
- KB snatch 2x5 32
Tac frog, pumps + QL straddle

The old program minimum. It's not quite cardio. It's not quite strength work. Some mish-mash of the two. But a good thing to do to just get some work in, particularly when trying to take it easy on the back.

Note to self: attempting to operating a motor vehicle after spending a bunch of time sitting in a straddle split is... uncomfortable.

3/3 07:30

BAN practice
Crawling

I'm in a definite lull in terms of cardio training motivation. The real problem is carving out large enough blocks of time. I just haven't had the heart lately to roll out of bed early enough - today, by the time I got down there and did my little warmup, I had enough time for maybe 15 minutes of running before I needed to get back upstairs and get to work. So I did some crawling instead.

Real endurance athletes are folks that get up before the sun does, I reckon. Gotta figure out how to start doing that again.

Volleyball in the evening. We didn't play bad per se, but we got blanked by a better, faster, younger team. Felt like I was moving & hitting well, at least - but they dug up some of my best hits. At the end, their best hitter kept serving me the ball, I think specifically to give me more chances to hit (as opposed to attacking our weaker players). I think that's classy, particularly in a rec league - I normally try to do the same.

Last edited:
3/4 18:00

Mobility warmup
FSQT 3x5 185#
BP 3x3 225#
DL 1x5 315#
Pull-ups 4x3 40#
Grip work

Yet another day where I missed my morning training due to life and a comfy bed. ? It's getting too easy to skip morning sessions, need to do something about that. So... today, I did; signed up for the May TSC. Put myself in the competitive division, to make sure it got my attention. Will sure be nice to get out of my basement and see other human beings who like to pick up heavy stuff.

So, plan going forward is to back down the squats and bench press a little to leave more room to push deadlift and snatches. Need to practice the 5min snatch test every 2 weeks or so. Should do a few max-rep pull-up trials here and there too. A little glycolic peaking.

My goals for this one are to not get hurt, and to do well enough so that @LoriLifts doesn't leave Denver saying to herself, "meh, he didn't look so strong." ?

Last edited:
3/5 07:30

Samurai getups
Push-ups 14,19,15,15,12
45min treadmill run/walk 3.4m
- 1W 9E (4T 1W)x4 14E 1W
Foam rolling, bretzels + forward fold

Knees were a little creaky after the run, I suspect because I was really going for maximum depth on the light front squats yesterday.

3/5 17:30

Mobility warmup
KB2HS 20x10 48
TGU 10x1 40

Now, I love the TGU. But, with that said, heavy TGUs are just punishing. It's a contest of wills - do you have the fortitude to maintain focus and strength, or will the bell smoosh you. Today was a little tough... but I win again.

3/7 09:00

Samurai getups x10
Pushups 14,19,15,15,15
70min treadmill run/walk 5.1m
- 1W 60E 1W (0.33ST 1W)x6
FSPM + front splits

Was surprised to actually hit more pushups today, given I went into it feeling a little fatigued already. This sort of slow-twitch burnout training is really not something I'm used to, I don't have a good feel for it yet.

Run was very Zen today. Wasn't feeling like I was fast or anything, just felt very relaxed and easy. Maybe because it happened to be a day where I had the whole house to myself and could kind of do whatever I wanted.

I have no idea what these are and really thought I should because I love Samurai’s and Getups. So being sly, I searched for them online and couldn’t find an answer. I did see your log ALL OVER the search results though, so I am thinking maybe this came out of Dr Banner’s lab? Please do let me know.
I have a few wooden katanas in my gym- they're just toys, I don't have any sort of training with them. I'll do a tactical getup holding a sword in each hand, and do a practice cut at the top - the Samurai getup. Patent pending! ?

3/8 06:45

BAN practice
Trifecta
OP 4x5 115#
Shoulder sequence

3/8 21:00

Mobility warmup
FSQT 3x5 190#
BP 3x5 180#
Pull-ups 4x5
Grip work

Bit of a rough day. Did the first set of front squats at 200#, but didn't feel light enough for light day. Pull-ups were kind of rough too. Maybe just the first time I've trained so late in a while.

I have a few wooden katanas in my gym- they're just toys, I don't have any sort of training with them. I'll do a tactical getup holding a sword in each hand, and do a practice cut at the top - the Samurai getup. Patent pending! ?
Both hands! That is worth a patent. I like doing regular getups with a steel mace in one hand. It concentrates my attention. But I lack flair. Next time a 360 on top.
BTW with zero handed getups do you alternate your first leg up?

Both hands! That is worth a patent. I like doing regular getups with a steel mace in one hand. It concentrates my attention. But I lack flair. Next time a 360 on top.
BTW with zero handed getups do you alternate your first leg up?

Now you're talking- throw in the 360, and it's a barbarian getup!

Yes, I alternate legs each rep.

3/10 07:00

BAN practice
45min treadmill run/walk 3.4m
- 1W 35E 1W (0.33ST 1W)x6
Foam rolling, bretzels + forward fold

I've talked before about waking up feeling like I'm made of metal (good), or made of wood (bad). Today was a wood day. I've got a handful of little aches creeping up on me - a sore spot in the elbow, an achy lat, a grumbling knee... not the time to push things, it seems.

Volleyball in the evening. Got womped again by a better team. One of my teammates is a really poor loser, makes things a lot less fun. ?

Back
Top Bottom