all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

3/10 07:00

BAN practice
45min treadmill run/walk 3.4m
- 1W 35E 1W (0.33ST 1W)x6
Foam rolling, bretzels + forward fold

I've talked before about waking up feeling like I'm made of metal (good), or made of wood (bad). Today was a wood day. I've got a handful of little aches creeping up on me - a sore spot in the elbow, an achy lat, a grumbling knee... not the time to push things, it seems.

Volleyball in the evening. Got womped again by a better team. One of my teammates is a really poor loser, makes things a lot less fun. ?
Bamboo is resilient and as strong as all get out...

Balsa wood on the other hand...

Bamboo is resilient and as strong as all get out...
Good analogy there...very strong, unless you go change the environment on it too radically, and it splits. That's the "wood" feeling.

I wish there was a video ?
People making fools of themselves are always funny.
Unless they are griping at you because nobody can pass them the ball... but the primary problem is that they have a movement range of approximately 2 feet...

Took Thursday off. Any time I have one of these "feel like wood" days is a good time to take a step back and look at what's going on, I figure. I think I've bumped into 2 issues:
  • I've really like the addition of the overhead press, I think it's doing good things for me... but I think it's just a lot, along with bench press, snatches and pullups. I think the elbow and the lat and just getting broken down by the volume.
  • I think the front squat is putting some stress on my back that I didn't expect, and that's also causing a slow break-down. Maybe it's a butt wink thing?
I've also been thinking for a while that I might try switching to a program of doing the major lifts once a week, instead of twice - mostly to save some time in the gym, since baseball coaching will be firing up again soon. This seems like an opportune time to make the switch and give it a try.

Still plotting out all the details, but obviously some other things will have to go overboard as I rearrange things. Probably will need to go back to doing swings EMOM rather than A+A style, and give up on the longer sessions for a while. Also would like to get back to some regular jumping work (i.e. burpees). Much to think about.

3/12 07:30

Samurai getups x10
Push-ups 15,20,16,16,14
45min treadmill run/walk 3.5m
- 1W 9E (4T 1W)x4 14E 1W
FSPM + front splits

3/12 17:15

Mobility warmup
Everything EMOM:
KB snatch 10x3 40
Pull-ups 12x2 (alternating normal, wide, close, chins)
KB C&P 10x3 32
BW split squats 10x5

TGU 10x1 32 (not EMOM, but close)

Just a "lets go do something" day.

3/14 13:00

Samurai getups x10
Push-ups 15,20,16,16,12
70min treadmill run/walk 5.1m
- 1W 60E 1W (0.33ST 1W)x6
Tac frog, pumps + QL straddle

After that (and rehydrating) headed outside to shovel snow. Looks like we got a solid foot of heavy, wet stuff... and it's still coming down, more work to do tomorrow.

03/16 07:30

Samurai getups x10
Push-ups 15,20,16,16,14
- 1W 9E (9T 1W)x2 14E 1W
FSPM + front splits

03/16 17:00

Burpees 10x2
DL 285# x5, 325# x5, 370# x6
TGU 10x1 32
Hammer 360 8x10 continuous

Burpees were interesting, because it felt like the explosive jump muscles didn't turn on till the 4th set.

Oof, that's a lot more deadlift volume than I'm used to. Felt strong, but the lesson for today is that conditioning work needs to stay light on deadlift day. During the TGUs, my lizard brain kept saying "go grab the 40, we can do it!" And the I-want-to-not-hurt-tomorrow brain said "shut up, stupid!" The eternal struggle.

I've transitioned to a minimal warmup up, which is basically a combination of "world's greatest stretch" and shoulder dislocates. To make up for the other mobility work I was previously doing as part of my warmup, I'm trying to get in 5-10 minutes of squatting at a random point in the day, which includes:
  • Unweighted goblet squats
  • Cossack squats
  • Dragon twists
  • Monkey (from the GMB guys)
  • Split squats
Will at least put a note down every day I do it - that helps encourage me to do it.

Squat mobility x1

3/19 07:30

Samurai getups x10
Push-ups 15,20,16,13,12
- 1W 9E (4T 1W)x4 14E 1W

Good run... no so good push-ups, burned out quick.

3/19 17:00

Burpees 10x2
FSQT 160# x5, 185# x5, 210# x7
Crawling 12min 2:1 work:rest

Front squat is definitely stressing the lower back a little, yet another weak point discovered.

3/19 07:30

Samurai getups x10
Push-ups 15,20,16,13,12
- 1W 9E (4T 1W)x4 14E 1W

Good run... no so good push-ups, burned out quick.

3/19 17:00

Burpees 10x2
FSQT 160# x5, 185# x5, 210# x7
Crawling 12min 2:1 work:rest

Front squat is definitely stressing the lower back a little, yet another weak point discovered.
A weak point discovered is lost strength being recovered.

Not to worry, @Kiacek and @Philippe Geoffrion - I was just on spring break. Took a week away from work, the gym, and even the internets, to do a bunch of downhill skiing with my family. Weather was great for it, go in 1-2 hours every day. Usually followed up with margaritas. Lots of margaritas.

I had an interesting thought about the nature of skiing from the perspective of training ('cause I can't ever actually stop thinking about training). It's all about matching your confidence to your ability. If your confidence is way below your ability, you never really challenge your ability, and you never get better. If you confidence is way above your ability... well, you end up in a pile of tangled limbs at the bottom of the hill with a low of snow crammed into places where it should not be. Finding that "goldilocks" zone - where your confidence lets you go right up to the limit of your ability - is the key to having fun and improving at the same time.

So, what else works that way? Any sort of "strength-skill" activity, I reckon. Throwing the discuss for me, back in the day - pushing your speed through the movement up to the limit of what you can control. More applicable these days - pitching a baseball (for my son, not me). To improve, you have to be willing to throw as hard as you can while still getting it to the strike zone. Something I'm going to emphasize with my team this season.

A weak point discovered is lost strength being recovered.
That's always my thought. I'm definitely a "train your weaknesses" guy, rather than "train your strengths".

Back
Top Bottom